New Power Amp option from SYNERGY

Manny Fufish

Power User
Hey Guys, Before I went down the road of Fractal when the Standard first dropped, I was using the Egnater/Randall MTS system. This allowed you to swap pre-amp sections out but kept your power section in place, I ran the RM20 head the RM100 Lynchbox and the Rack system with a separate RT2/50 Power section and I still have it all today, which is great because A) I have amassed a large number of 2x12 cabs and speakers that I now use with my AxeFX and Mesa 2:90, and B) this company Synergy are upping the game of MTS and it works with the original Randall and Egnater stuff.

What might be of interest to this forum is the engineers at Synergy (Steve Fryette, Avi El-Kiss, Dave Friedman and Bruce Egnater) are putting out a power amp for their new tube pre-amp modules called the SYN5050 - 2x50W all-tube rack mount power amp.
https://www.facebook.com/SynergyAmps/

I'm definitely picking up the entire system when it comes out in a couple months, but a tube based single rack power section designed by Fryette with 3 cathode biasing settings for different amp preferences would seem to appeal to many of us here, check it out if you're interested.
581913_1024310087616955_7281159013786580875_n.jpg

SYN2 Features:
* Cab simulated record output

* SAG Feature licenses from Fryette

* Different cathode biasing sensing circuitry. New SYNERGY modules give you a choice of three different cathode biasing and our hardware senses this.

* Ability to connect to a guitar head and toggle between the SYN2 PREs and the channels on your head

Given that Fryette is involved the design is probably solid... if this ever sees the light of day (I saw that spec sheet above over a year ago and first heard this being talked about in 2015); the spec sheet looks like a dream power amp...

However, I have to wonder about a 100W total output tube power amp in the 1U config... transformers can contribute substantially to a tube amps sound and this thing is sure to be non-traditional... It will have toroidal transformers clearly for starters. There's heat to contend with as well. I know it has fans, etc, but that is a small box nonetheless...

Anyway, looks like a super interesting power amp, will be excited to hear reports when it streets.

But it's not a neutral power amp, it seems. That wouldn't be wise anyway, because it would compete with Fryette's own LXII.

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to use the SYN5050 power amp with the Axe-FX (II or III) by now? Thoughts? I'm considering tube power amps as an option, and will either chance it on a SYN5050 or maybe pick up a used Mesa 2:50. I love the idea of a 1u power amp (so I don't have to re-rack my AFX) and as mentioned above - Fryette was involved in the Synergy amp design. I'm leaning in that direction, but I know there are "safer" and less expensive alternatives. Thanks!

Anyone try the Synergy 50 Power amp?

Sorry for the late response... I went ahead with the SYN5050 power amp. I'm quite happy with my setup. I run from by AFXIII (mono) into the SYN5050, and then into a custom cab with a pair of Eminence GA-SC64s.

I still have a pair of Xitone powered FRFR cabs - love them and they aren't going anywhere. I just like having the option of both, and the AFXIII has plenty of outputs, so I can switch back and forth. It's fun to play with different cab IRs using the Xitones. Sometimes I run my "dry" signal through the SYN amp and my cab, and effects through my Xitones for a WDW setup. Fun stuff!!

Reactions: JTI
Back
Top Bottom