New Ownhammer beta IRs

Just to clarify Guitarzpt, if you download the beta zip again, you will get the corrected SM 57 files. Just incase you thought they were coming with the commercial release.

What is it about this release that makes their IRs so much better? The impression I had was that the key limitation of IRs is the lack of modulation, i.e. IR captures just a static snapshot. And that so-called dynamic convolution is patented. How many ways are there to capture IRs besides getting a better room? Are OH's rooms *that* much better this time around?

Not wanting to be overly critical. It's just that every time a new plugin or whatever comes out, there are always people who say things like they were never satisfied with earlier products but they are now. Have OH's understanding of the IR sciences radically improved? It would seem more likely that since their new product is a set of IRs that were never released before, it's the variety that we're digging.

You have to try them. They are really something different. It all comes down to how you mic the cab, what outboard gear you use, how you mix and apply those outboard gear etc.

After some more playing tonight, i'm not sure I like it. Too scooped, and tons of low end, found myself running to the low and high cut on the cabs with some drastic cuts.

Will play with it some more in a band setting at volume.

What is it about this release that makes their IRs so much better? The impression I had was that the key limitation of IRs is the lack of modulation, i.e. IR captures just a static snapshot. And that so-called dynamic convolution is patented. How many ways are there to capture IRs besides getting a better room? Are OH's rooms *that* much better this time around?

Not wanting to be overly critical. It's just that every time a new plugin or whatever comes out, there are always people who say things like they were never satisfied with earlier products but they are now. Have OH's understanding of the IR sciences radically improved? It would seem more likely that since their new product is a set of IRs that were never released before, it's the variety that we're digging.
you have a point there. Maybe once Kevin releases the official product, he can elaborate more on what he's done that's so different.

Let me put it this way. I've always used my Axe Fx Standard stock. I've used from time to time some irs that user would supply with their preset and no matter what I did, it wasn't really much of a difference for me from the stock irs. Also, I've generally had problems with the Axe when it comes to getting proper recorded tones and aside from me having a crappy ear for tone, there was always something inherently strange whenever I tried to make the Axe sit in a mix. Probably me though. However, when i tried these new irs, I just stuck to the sm57 on the 5 position and switched amp models until I found what I wanted. Then I adjusted the gain and.... That was it. I didn't even touch the eq or anything. It just sounded a lot better not only alone, but in the mix as well. Later today will test to see if I still have to eq them but all I can say it sure sounds different for the better.

Have OH's understanding of the IR sciences radically improved?

In short, yes.

It would seem more likely that since their new product is a set of IRs that were never released before, it's the variety that we're digging.

This is a re-release.

... Too scooped ...

Have a fiddle with the amp settings, more than likely the patch was written to stuffy sounding IR's and one would need to inverse the thinking to match. These are different than most anything I've ever heard. For example, not scooped:

That said, playback systems, hands, ears, and tastes are always different so do what sounds right and works for you and don't sweat the rest. :)

I have had about 4.3 billion different ideas on how to present these, for me the sky is the absolute limit and the determining factors of what the end result will be or how many different aesthetics I am willing to humor are time/effort as a factor of potential return (which consists of price point and number of sales). I have had something cooking since this past weekend on an avenue for the < 1% that feel the same way. At the end of the day the question is - is it worth my time? I'd like to say yes, but the beta period and the feedback and feelers I get will tell the tale.

... Maybe once Kevin releases the official product, he can elaborate more on what he's done that's so different. ...

Unfortunately, unless I win the lottery, not going to happen, haha. :)

Back
Top Bottom