New MFC Firmware for BJ Devices TB-12!

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
I've written some new firmware for the BJ Devices TB-12 MFC. There are 3 similar versions:

version 1.1 - a sophisticated generic MFC
version 1.5 - a simple generic MFC
version 2.1 - a sophisticated MFC with Axe-FX II features

You can read the details here: http://bjdevices.com/wiki/doku.php?id=gm_arts_tb-12_v1

BJ Devices have a professionally built controller and have made it easy for programmers to write their own firmware. My source code can be downloaded so you can see my implementation and modify it for your own needs.

I've also included a PC settings editor (also with source code) that allows you to save your settings to a file that you load into the TB-12.

This firmware include features I've used for many years, but uncommon in mainstream MFCs, such as:

> Backtracking patches with their effect states (including Axe-FX Tempo settings in v2.1)
> Multiple mutually exclusive effect groups
> Pedal scaling with padding, and a "panic" option to manage pedal failures in a live situation
> Effect switching for pedals in heel-down position
> 2 sets of tap messages (so ordinary tap press sends tap CCs and can also be a momentary hold effect, then after a configured number of presses, it can send additional CC messages to switch effects on)
> Effect off/on states can send any CC value, or no value
> and much more

I've tested the firmware with the settings I use, but there are hundreds of settings (therefore billions of combinantions) and only one of me, so I'll need your feedback if there's anything not working as described. I'm keen to fix any bugs, so please let me know at info@gmarts.org

Wow ! I wish that I had time to sink my teeth in to this.
I've only just flashed my TB-12 from 1.something to v2.4 otherwise I'd be dabbling with this...
good effort !

^--- maybe you'll have time to dabble later :)

Bear in mind this this is my own firmware, which has nothing to do with BJ Devices factory firmware, updates or version numbers.

Here's a quick look at what the footswitches do in the simple version 1.5:

simple_mfc.jpg

The other versions have a couple of extra modes and more features, but play mode is similar:

play_mode.jpg

Hey GM Arts !

Looks awesome.

When used with an Axe FX II Mk 2, can I please ask:-

-> can it set up and configure " Scenes " ?

-> can the screen display " Scene 1 " ..... Scene 2 " ..... <-> " Scene 8 " when using Scenes ?

-> what does the Axe FX Tuner look like on the BJ Screen ?

-> can I set it up so that I can assign any PC / CC / IA etc.... to any button, so I can make my own totally unique and individual layout ?

-> can 1 x FSW Button turn on/off 2 IA's simultaneously ?

Thanks again,
Ben

Hey GM Arts !

Looks awesome.

When used with an Axe FX II Mk 2, can I please ask:-

-> can the screen display " Scene 1 " ..... Scene 2 " ..... <-> " Scene 8 " when using Scenes ?

-> can I set it up so that I can assign any PC / CC / IA etc.... to any button, so I can make my own totally unique and individual layout ?

Thanks again,
Ben

Thanks Ben

I'm not sure what you mean by "configure scenes", but yes, it can certainly select scenes

No, the screen shows which effects are currently on, so if you had effects 1 to 5 configured to select scenes, you would see the number 1 to 5 in the display. This works well, because you can configure no off messages for effects, so in this case it's just a scene selection message. Also (for v1.1 and 2.1) you can set these in a mutually exclusive group. These firmware versions have an additional automatic feature where toggle switches with no off messages in a mutually exclusive group stay on once selected, so you can always see which is the current scene. It sounds more complicated that is really is!

great IMHO :) It uses the bottom line of the LCD display with arrows that move similar to the AxeFX. It is intentionally more sensitive around "in-tune" It appears automatically when the Axe-FX tuner is on and there's nothing to configure except turn the feature on.

Two answers:
(1) Yes - If you can program (or know someone who does), you can make it do anything you want, which is what I did, so for my firmware:
(2) No - I designed this to work the way I prefer to use an MFC, which is banks of 5 patches on the top row, and effects on the bottom row, which I find far more accurate for Tap and hold effects.

Yes. All effects can control up to 2 CCs

Last edited:
Hi GM Arts and thank you for the firmwares!
I flashed the FW 1.5 in my Bj Devices tb12. I would like to have the 1-4 to switch scenes 1-4 and in shift mode to change scenes 5-8 and the switch 5 would be tap tempo. Problem is, that i have a mac, so is it impossible for me to program your firmware?

Or could you share .eep file with those settings for FW 1.5?

Hi GM Arts and thank you for the firmwares!
I flashed the FW 1.5 in my Bj Devices tb12. I would like to have the 1-4 to switch scenes 1-4 and in shift mode to change scenes 5-8 and the switch 5 would be tap tempo. Problem is, that i have a mac, so is it impossible for me to program your firmware?

Or could you share .eep file with those settings for FW 1.5?

I could have a look at that for you. Can you let me know what CC numbers and values you want for Tap and the scenes? Probably factory defaults, I guess. Also, anything special for the preset numbers, pedals, etc?

Currently, footswitch 5 and shifted footswitch 5 are designed to be different footswitches, but of course you can have them send the same CC messages, so they can both work as a Tap footswitch. It would only be a problem if you wanted to use the Tap FX feature (where additional FX can be switched on after a preset number of Tap presses), but the Axe-FX can do that anyway, so probably not an issue.

Reactions: DTS
Wow! That would be great @GM Arts!

Yes, I have cc numbers factory default. Well, now that you asked the switch 5 could be tuner in shift Mode if, that is no problem for you to change. :)

What do you mean by Specials for the presets switches?

Just wanted to know if the present number should be in order (from 0 to 124) or anything special. I might se if I can put an Excel spreadsheet together with setting for the basic firmware version 1.5. It might even be able to validate settings and save the EEP file with macros, although I'm not sure if that works with Apple.

Ok, my presets number offset is 1, so they are 1-125. I don't need anything more Special for the presets order. Your A1-E5 is perfect for me. :)

Hi, I've had a quick look at this and have a couple of EEP files ready for you. I can't seem to upload them here, so please PM your email address and I'll send them to you.

DropTheSun v1p1.eep is for firmware v1.1 with mutually exclusive effect groups, which you really need for scene switching because only one scene can be active at the same time.

DropTheSun v1p5.eep is for the more basic version 1.5 firmware which doesn't include mutually exclusive groups. The scene switches will still work (toggling both on and off), but it won't be clear which scene was the last selected because each effect footswitch will toggle off and on individually.

I have Tap on footswitch #5 using CC number 14, and Tuner on F9 (shifted footswitch #5) using CC number 15

Anyway, let me know how this works for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom