New Megadeth

erockomania

Experienced
Does anyone know if this album is all Axefx? Certainly sounds a little fuller than past releases.

Megadeth - Super Collider

Think maybe Mustaine used the Marshall JVM. Have to double check.

Definitely wasn't an Axe-FX as I recall :(

The album blows thats all I know, commercial, boring, lack of impressive riffing, timing changes or any solos I can remember.

From what I read and seen on youtube, Chris B. only use the Axe FX Ultra (not the II) for live, and All Studio recordings were done with real amps.

Funny, cause these tones are just ok. If it is Axefx, they could have done much better. If it's not, they sure wasted a lot of time mic'ing.

The album blows thats all I know, commercial, boring, lack of impressive riffing, timing changes or any solos I can remember.

I'm only two songs into the new album as of this moment, so I don't have an opinion on the overall quality of this outing, but I think the notion that this is somehow "commercial" is pretty funny. In what universe is metal of any kind - good or bad - even remotely comercial these days? I don't have to finish listening to the album to know that these songs won't end up in heavy rotation on any radio station or be purchased by consumers in any great quantity. I mean, sure, dislike the album, think it's boring or whatever, but saying it's "commercial" is an odd critique, no?

Megadeth hasn't put out a decent record since -cough- Rust in Peace.

Almost all music is mainstream now. You can't relate various genres, because there's no longer any such thing as underground. That groups like Megadeth still exist corroborates this. As for 'radio', I'm surprised it still exists, but it probably won't in twenty years. And good riddance.

(Only reason the newspaper's still around is because enough old farts haven't died off, yet. But it's goin...)

Well I guess that video I watched with him (Chris Broderick) using 2 Ultra's is from 2010, and since then he sold them off for $1550 each (leaving his presets intact btw) and upgraded to two II's. My son just showed me an article from the April 2013 Guitar World magazine where Dave states he used his JVM410 and Chris Broderick used his EVH 5150 III on the album, and effects were done "in the box" which I am pretty sure means DAW post processing, while for Live, Chris is using Fractal Audio Axe FX II's and Matrix power amps.

So there ya go. No mention if Dave is using Axe FX's live now but I wouldn't doubt it as his tone is pretty much and always has been pretty straight up, and the JVM410 model sounds Identical to my real JVM.

I think the last few records were all solid. I don't know if any of these bands have a mega hit in them any more. The world has change pirating, downloading a so god song vs buying a whole cd. Things are just so different. Megadeaths new work has been better than Metallica, Slayer and most of their other peers from back in the day.

I think the last few records were all solid. Megadeaths new work has been better than Metallica, Slayer and most of their other peers from back in the day.

I haven't heard the new album so I can't comment on it.

I would agree that Megadeth's albums since Youthanasia have been better than albums by Metallica, Slayer, etc. during the same time period. They've been "solid" but there really hasn't been anything exceptional about them. Endgame was decent and I really hoped that it was the start of a comeback to original form. Following Endgame, I had really high hopes for Thirteen but it was pretty bad. Lyrics were so bad that I had to just laugh when I heard them.

Dave's voice is shot. He can't even come close to hitting the high notes like he used to, which was what I loved about his singing back in the day. Not that he was ever a great singer, but he used to sing in a high pitch and had a really unique singing voice, that most people loved or hated (kind of like Geddy Lee I suppose). I've got a live DVD where they play the entire Rust in Peace album and he had to sing falsetto for all the high stuff. It was actually pretty sad.

Overall, I think Dave's head just isn't in the game anymore. I've basically given up on Megadeth just like I have with many of the other bands that used to be my heroes years ago (Metallica, Slayer, Opeth...the list goes on and on). Unfortunately, I have difficulty finding newer bands that have the "magic" that these bands used to have.

I haven't heard the new album so I can't comment on it.

I would agree that Megadeth's albums since Youthanasia have been better than albums by Metallica, Slayer, etc. during the same time period. They've been "solid" but there really hasn't been anything exceptional about them. Endgame was decent and I really hoped that it was the start of a comeback to original form. Following Endgame, I had really high hopes for Thirteen but it was pretty bad. Lyrics were so bad that I had to just laugh when I heard them.

Dave's voice is shot. He can't even come close to hitting the high notes like he used to, which was what I loved about his singing back in the day. Not that he was ever a great singer, but he used to sing in a high pitch and had a really unique singing voice, that most people loved or hated (kind of like Geddy Lee I suppose). I've got a live DVD where they play the entire Rust in Peace album and he had to sing falsetto for all the high stuff. It was actually pretty sad.

Overall, I think Dave's head just isn't in the game anymore. I've basically given up on Megadeth just like I have with many of the other bands that used to be my heroes years ago (Metallica, Slayer, Opeth...the list goes on and on). Unfortunately, I have difficulty finding newer bands that have the "magic" that these bands used to have.
Don't think that magic exists any more

Dave is a great guy, a great player, and a great American patriot.

The album is great, but not their best work IMO only

Name a rock band with over five albums that are all perfect.?
There are a few but not many. Even Rush has a couple albums I don't dig.

I'm only two songs into the new album as of this moment, so I don't have an opinion on the overall quality of this outing, but I think the notion that this is somehow "commercial" is pretty funny. In what universe is metal of any kind - good or bad - even remotely comercial these days? I don't have to finish listening to the album to know that these songs won't end up in heavy rotation on any radio station or be purchased by consumers in any great quantity. I mean, sure, dislike the album, think it's boring or whatever, but saying it's "commercial" is an odd critique, no?

for metal its commercial ie. meant to appeal to the masses, like the Metallica Black album; Also in comparison to their "better" earlier work. Commercial to me is an all encompassing way of saying its simpler, has more catchy hooks, perhaps even easier to remember songs, or the choruses get stuck in yer brain. If u like this fine, but thats not where thrash started, at best Id call this decent light metal.

I think the last few records were all solid. I don't know if any of these bands have a mega hit in them any more. The world has change pirating, downloading a so god song vs buying a whole cd. Things are just so different. Megadeaths new work has been better than Metallica, Slayer and most of their other peers from back in the day.
imho not sayin much

Back
Top Bottom