New Matrix Q12A - The Good and the Bad

SmokinHalfNote

Inspired
Got my 2 new Matrix Q12A cabs today. Although they were shipped a bit later than promised, Matrix was always very polite and fast when replying to my emails. They shipped from the UK on Tuesday the 15th and arrived in Dallas, TX on the 18th. Pretty darn fast!

Unfortunately, I wasn't home when they came, and since there was a duty fee, I had to go pick it up in person. No big deal. For both cabs, I owed $114.57.

The packages were packed simply but well, and I really like the spartan black look. They're pretty tiny, too.

Now for the good and the bad.

Good: Very "guitaristic" sound. All the patches I sampled sounded very realistic and full. I'm very, very pleased with the sound of the Q12As.

Bad: I believe I have one cab that is defective. On Cab A, the fan is hardly noticeable - a very quiet "whirr" sound that you have to strain to hear. On Cab B, it sounds like a leaf blower! It's way too loud, and I think would be heard even on quiet gigs.

So, I'm not super happy right now, though I know mistakes happen. I've always heard great things about Matrix customer service, so let's hope they can get me a replacement cab (and test it) as fast as I got these. I've emailed Matt with Matrix, and he always responds pretty fast, so we'll see how it goes.

In conclusion, I'm cautiously optimistic about these cabs. The quiet model sounds great. Actually, they both sound great, but the loud fan noise in the one is just plain unacceptable.

Lovin my Q12a as well. Like you said, it sounds more like a guitar amp to me than any wedge I have tried. Bad luck on the fan, mine is whisper quiet. Andy fix.

Can you not use the noisy one as a slave at 4ohms for now ?

Hey teddis. Yeah, I actually thought about that, but I got them for stereo spread. No biggie. I have faith in Matrix customer service. Just wish it hadn't happened the day before the Namm show. :/

I was really impressed with the Q21a...
such a little box just shouldn't be able to sound like that..
to use a boxing phrase... it punches way above it's weight..

shame about your iffy fan...
the Matrix guys are great..
you're just unlucky that right now I imagine that they're somewhere over Canada

hope you get this sorted soon..

Lovin my Q12a as well. Like you said, it sounds more like a guitar amp to me than any wedge I have tried.

Notice you have an RCF 12SMA in your signature. How do the Q12A and 12SMA compare for you? Fairly similar or some noticeable differences? Thanks ...

Sure, same statements were posted in other threads. The community needs some video comparison between the matrix q12a, the atomic clr and the rcf.

As much as I'd like to see video that tells me what these systems sound like, I don't think such a video could be made. No matter how well it's done, I'd still be listening to it...through my speakers, which are different from any of the speakers being reviewed. It's still going to sound like my speakers.

The results would only be valid if I were looking for a speaker to feed into the speaker I already have, and that makes no sense. :)

Lovin my Q12a as well. Like you said, it sounds more like a guitar amp to me than any wedge I have tried....

Notice you have an RCF 12SMA in your signature. How do the Q12A and 12SMA compare for you? Fairly similar or some noticeable differences? Thanks ...

+1! We're all curious! I'm assuming you've 'tried' the RCF in your sig, so does the Q12a sound more like a guitar amp?

As much as I'd like to see video that tells me what these systems sound like, I don't think such a video could be made. No matter how well it's done, I'd still be listening to it...through my speakers, which are different from any of the speakers being reviewed. It's still going to sound like my speakers.

The results would only be valid if I were looking for a speaker to feed into the speaker I already have, and that makes no sense. :)
Add to that the mic, preamp and audio stack in general plus the room! There's no way one could make a decision between these speakers based on a video.
Having said that though, I did enjoy the videos from the AxeFx meetup in LA, so I won't complain if/when they're posted ;-)

So where are all the Q12a revieeeews?? The Atomic CLR is leaving the Q12a in a cloud of dust at the moment, come on guys! post your Matrix Q12a thingies with videos and stuff. We need to take back the lead from the CLR. You're right it's a race and now the CLR is in the lead!

Maaaatrix!!!! :)

I've got Sophie's Choice coming up soon, however. I'm getting a pair of Atomic CLRs to try out, and I don't think I can keep both.

Nice problem to have, though. :)

Thump, Thump... Is this thing on? Are there any more Q12A owners out there? I agree, all the focus seems to be on the Atomic CLR for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom