BrOlav

Hi!
I bought the latest MacBook Pro 15" with QC-Processor, 16GB Ram and 4x USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports. I was thinking of getting together a full little recording studio at home, but have no idea what I should buy.

I have the Axe-Fx II, and have previously been using it directly as a sound card into my windows computer, but was thinking of getting a dedicated sound card now. I only really need to be able to record guitars with it, but vocals would be nice as well.

What do you think of the Focusrite Clarett 2pre? Really low round-trip latency with the thunderbolt port. I also need to connect the axefx to the macbook, just for easy patch editing. Anyone know a cable for this? I think I will need a USB-C -> Male USB-B cable, is that right? Just want to make sure before purchasing lots of extra stuff, the mac already set me back quite a bit.
Any other tips on what I should look at for recording?

Thanks alot, Olav :)

I recently tried the Clarett 2 pre and apogee element 46. Ended up keeping the element 46. It integrates extremely well with logic and apple. The clarett worked pretty good most of the time. I would get a few more pops though when using it. Also not a big deal to most but I like being able to still using the keyboard buttons for volume with the apogee. Tons of options out there though. i recently took notice of the motto 624 due to it have usb 3, thunderbolt and being compatible with IOS as well.

I bought the Clarett. Routed Balanced XLR from the back of the Axe into the Clarett. No signal it seems. Got any idea what to do? I am completely lost, not used to Mac and Audio Interfaces...

First make sure you have the focusrite control downloaded. In the software you should be able to turn the preamps to line and use gain knobs on the front to make sure you have enough gain for the line in. To be clear the halos aren't flashing or anything right now when playing?

The control is downloaded. Outputs also dead. After some googling it seems some people had the same issue, and that it was resolved by doing a factory reset. Will try when I get home from work.

Damn that looks like something I should invest in! I bought a Satechi adapter to begin with, so probably later.

Yea I like I said I had some little issues with the 2 pre I had. Sound quality, people seem to be happy with. Most of the time its working great for people. I think it fits right in it's budget range. Apogee, Apollo, Motu should all perform a bit better. Good luck getting it working as I recall having to redownload the software to get the outputs working once.

Back
Top Bottom