new Kemper - sound clips

It seams to work for country music ;)

We need a Fuchs in the Axe too - all the other sounds do not impress me.

Last edited:
Not impressed. Cleans are nice, but the leads sound thin.

It sounds pretty excellent on the cleans, IMHO. I'm concerned about more distorted sounds. I have yet to hear anything heavy done with it. It's actually really hard to do both heavy and clean well in one box.

Not my kind of tones or music but they work well enough.

Another tool on the market is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Felt the same way - cleans are nice, crunches are nice, maybe they just havent profiled many heavier sounding amps yet but the distortions I've heard so far didnt do much for me.

Kemper's early clips used a Rectifier, but for the past couple months they've been using a Princeton, Matchless DC-30, etc. Looks like Kemper figured out it would be hard to compete with the Axe on high gain, so they've been targeting the Axe's weakest spot - pushed clean to cranked non-master amps. Looks like they got pretty confident after the buzz about the Dave Cleveland videos and the rumored $1,500 price raised to $1,900.

After installing version 2 firmware on my Axe 2 I'd have to say FAS probably slammed the door shut on Kemper's chance to take the pushed clean to cranked non-master amp crown! I thought it was odd that the first 9 factory presets on the AxeII were Fenders, Vox's and Plexi's but with the new firmware these models are beyond what I was hoping for from the Kemper - I didn't think any modeller would get into this territory for another couple years. The Fenders bounce, the Vox sparkles and growls and the Plexi purrs & grinds. The pick sensitivity, warmth, girth and detail are stunning. On the edge of breakup sounds you can use your pick and guitar volume to get the harmonics to start misbehaving before you dig in and push into overdrive - like a real amp.

I've still got a Kemper on order, but Cliff just raised the bar pretty damn high.

I'm off to see if I can get the AxeII's ODS model to get that Robben Ford sound, I got a pretty good Larry Carlton vibe going this morning.

UPDATE:
The Axe can definitely do the Robben Ford thing in the clips referred to on this thread, unfortunately I cannot. Robben Ford could bang 2 coconuts together and still sound like Robben Ford. I could play Robben's guitar into Robben's Dumble using Robben's effects and it would sound like I'm banging 2 coconuts together!

Last edited:
Kemper claims they capture an amp's DNA. But we all know that DNA suffers degradation when you copy it. So cloning the Axe would be futile.

The latency would be too high. Plus you'd have to get on a waiting list to get on another waiting list. :)

I'd be more interested in using a real amp into an attenuator/load box and use the DI out through a convolution processor running some really good speaker IR's (Ownhamer or Red Wire) as a source for the Kemper. If latency isn't an issue with the convolution processor combined with the Kemper it could be pretty cool. Since the Kemper is the source of the signal in the profiling process they should be able to detect latency in the profiling process and correct for that latency in the final profile.

After contacting Kemper and doing some research it seems to me the KPA is prone to the same weakness as the Axe... the Herculean task of matching it with suitable hardware to produce realistic and manageable tones for live use. My 3 years of playing the Ultra with a wide range of amplification have led me to conclude that there is no substitute for a valve power amp and real guitar cabinet, and that the power stage of a real head (when available) beats a rack power amp. (I'm sure other users will beg to differ but I'm past the point of arguing on this.)

I recently asked Kemper which power amps they had tested the KPA with and could recommend for live use, and their answer was that they had not tested it with any rack amp! Studio monitors only! What good is that as a recommendation for a stage unit? I have already established that a FR solution doesn't work for me. If that is how they envisage everyone will be using it then I for one shall not be purchasing.

Last edited:
with a negative delay aka a time machine?

:D

haha, yes, I'm a predictable player anyway so there's no reason why a machine can't make use of that fact to its advantage....

Like this post: it was actually written by my computer milliseconds before I actually typed it.

Kemper's early clips used a Rectifier, but for the past couple months they've been using a Princeton, Matchless DC-30, etc. Looks like Kemper figured out it would be hard to compete with the Axe on high gain, so they've been targeting the Axe's weakest spot - pushed clean to cranked non-master amps. Looks like they got pretty confident after the buzz about the Dave Cleveland videos and the rumored $1,500 price raised to $1,900.

After installing version 2 firmware on my Axe 2 I'd have to say FAS probably slammed the door shut on Kemper's chance to take the pushed clean to cranked non-master amp crown! I thought it was odd that the first 9 factory presets on the AxeII were Fenders, Vox's and Plexi's but with the new firmware these models are beyond what I was hoping for from the Kemper - I didn't think any modeller would get into this territory for another couple years. The Fenders bounce, the Vox sparkles and growls and the Plexi purrs & grinds. The pick sensitivity, warmth, girth and detail are stunning. On the edge of breakup sounds you can use your pick and guitar volume to get the harmonics to start misbehaving before you dig in and push into overdrive - like a real amp.

I've still got a Kemper on order, but Cliff just raised the bar pretty damn high.

I'm off to see if I can get the AxeII's ODS model to get that Robben Ford sound, I got a pretty good Larry Carlton vibe going this morning.

UPDATE:
The Axe can definitely do the Robben Ford thing in the clips referred to on this thread, unfortunately I cannot. Robben Ford could bang 2 coconuts together and still sound like Robben Ford. I could play Robben's guitar into Robben's Dumble using Robben's effects and it would sound like I'm banging 2 coconuts together!

Superb writing skills/style!

Back
Top Bottom