New here, on the fence, a few questions...

Jesse Daly

Hello all. I have been hovering in the Fractal forum for years, but I finally decided to join as I am seriously eyeing an fx8 and an Engl e530.

A little background on my situation... In 2007 I picked up a Mac Book Pro and guitar rig with the foot switch, sold my Mesa recto verb 2x12 combo and picked up a PA and a solid state power amp. In 2010 I built a pair of custom cabinets (4x8" & 1x12" speaker each), and I bought a N.O.S. Rivera Hammer 320 power amp. I continued to use guitar rig as a preamp & effects solution. In 2012 I upgraded from a PreSonus Firepod to a Universal Audio Apollo quad for my recording needs. Then in 2013 I picked up the newly released Engl amp emulation for UAD and I stopped using guitar rig all together. The improvement in feel and tone was dramatic.

I'm using the UAD Space Echo, Cooper Time Cube, Moog Filter, and MXR Flanger. But most importantly I am running the AKG Spring Reverb on an aux bus. I run guitar-->Morley Wah-->4 channel amp selector-->line ins 5-8 on the Apollo. Each of those Apollo channels runs an instance of Engl VS646 set to clean crunch rhythm and lead. Each of those are then bussed in parallel to aux 1 & aux 2. Aux 1 runs the 4 effects, and aux 2 runs the spring reverb only. This allows me to run a specific amount of reverb for each channel. And fwiw I still use my old guitar rig pedal as a midi controller which drives a macro program which causes actual mouse clicks on screen to engage/disengage each of the effects on Aux1.

The whole thing is a bit clunky, but it sounds good and it works.

Now I am considering picking up FX8 & a real Engl e530 preamp. This would be a lot cleaner than my current setup, possibly sound a bit better, and free up several channels and a ton of dsp on my Apollo.

The FX8 is super versatile and can obviously pull off every thing I am currently doing and more, I'm pretty stoked about it! BUT what I need to know first is will the FX8 spring reverb hold a candle to the UAD AKG Spring Reverb?

Last edited:
I don't have an FX8, so I have to defer to someone who does. Check out this video by Pete Thorn:

In the course of the video, Pete does demo some verbs here that are impressive in the playback (good studio monitors or headphones recommended), and he also uses the system in the 4 cable method (both in front of the amp, and in the loop) with some varying stereo effects. It might be a good example of what can be done.

Pete has demonstrated himself to be a discriminating tone meister, and it is likely his high opinion of the verbs will translate to most agreeing on the quality. Short of that, perhaps someone here will have direct experience with both and can comment more authoritatively.

I listened to this last night on my v-moda m100s. It's very impressive. It was directly comparing this video with a handful of demonstrations of the line-6 helix that made me rule out the helix all together. It just seemed flat and dull by comparison. Pete Thorn clearly has 1st hand knowledge, I wonder if he'll stumble on this thread lol. ❤️U Pete!

It really is excellent. There are a few minor issues but firmware should correct most of them soon. An FX8 with 2 expression pedals allows you amazing control over your fx, and makes it easier to perform expressively with ease. Quality is really good for the blocks for the most part, they drive tube amps well. Once you factor in infinite routing, and a different pedal board for each song (virtually) it starts to allow your imagination to take over, and craft amazing dynamic, controllable effects. It really is a shortcut to great effect tones, with near zero noise added to the system, I can't detect any. (Mesa Boogie Mark IV)

Back
Top Bottom