New Gibson…err…Mesa Amps

Randall did not design those amps.
From the site: "While inspired by the Gibson Falcon amps from the 1960s, this all-new design from renowned amp pioneer Randall Smith and the MESA/Boogie Design Team is handcrafted in Petaluma, California, and sets a new bar in low-power tone."

From the site: "While inspired by the Gibson Falcon amps from the 1960s, this all-new design from renowned amp pioneer Randall Smith and the MESA/Boogie Design Team is handcrafted in Petaluma, California, and sets a new bar in low-power tone."
Yes, that is the PR script. But no, he did not design the circuitry.

The irony is this would probably sound better with a tele than any of those Gibsons. Both seem a bit farty and flubby when driven to my ears. Cool if you're into that, but seems a bit of a one trick pony.

Last edited:
This is only semi on-topic but I'm more concerned about the quality and pricing of the MESA / Boogie stuff they'll be putting out over the next year. Having just secured a pre-Gibson OS Recto 4x12, I'm worried that when I get a second one (hopefully the exact same model), not only will it cost an arm & a leg but it will be worse quality-wise.

(Don't mean to derail)

This is only semi on-topic but I'm more concerned about the quality and pricing of the MESA / Boogie stuff they'll be putting out over the next year. Having just secured a pre-Gibson OS Recto 4x12, I'm worried that when I get a second one (hopefully the exact same model), not only will it cost an arm & a leg but it will be worse quality-wise.

(Don't mean to derail)
Well as far as I can work out Gibson have successfully priced Mesa out of the musician's market in Europe, here in Australia Mesa amps have always been stupidly, insanely expensive and pretty much non existent second hand as no one can afford to buy them new. I always find the reference to PRS as "dentist's guitars" here in Australia utterly hilarious given that a PRS CU24 is about $6K AUD whereas the Gibson equivalent (a CS 59 RI, because standard factory Gibsons are just not even in the same postcode as Core PRS guitars) is about $12K, or at least double the price of the PRS......

Not to poo poo the amp but I don't find it flattering at all. Just feels like the kind of amp I grab a hard tail and do that exaggerated wobbling /swaying corksniffin movement on the guitar to vibrate the chord. you know the one. then put the guitar back up in its display case for another few months

Well as far as I can work out Gibson have successfully priced Mesa out of the musician's market in Europe, here in Australia Mesa amps have always been stupidly, insanely expensive and pretty much non existent second hand as no one can afford to buy them new. I always find the reference to PRS as "dentist's guitars" here in Australia utterly hilarious given that a PRS CU24 is about $6K AUD whereas the Gibson equivalent (a CS 59 RI, because standard factory Gibsons are just not even in the same postcode as Core PRS guitars) is about $12K, or at least double the price of the PRS......
Yeah I had a friend who worked in music retail in AUS and he's told me the same thing. The distributors have a lot to answer for.

Back
Top Bottom