New Gibson…err…Mesa Amps

From the site: "While inspired by the Gibson Falcon amps from the 1960s, this all-new design from renowned amp pioneer Randall Smith and the MESA/Boogie Design Team is handcrafted in Petaluma, California, and sets a new bar in low-power tone."

Yes, that is the PR script. But no, he did not design the circuitry.

@nicolasrivera - I'm very confused at what you're trying to convey.

You insist that Randall didn't design the circuits and then post an image saying that he did.

You insist that Randall didn't design the circuits and then post an image saying that he did.
Maybe Im lost in translation. But the original circuit to whish the Falcon tone comes from its not his Design. He recreated it in this new amp and implementes some patents from Mesa. But its not his Design.

ya - I'm confused too

re Mesa and my small experience: bought a mini recto 6/7 years ago for $1k Cdn, didn't like it so sold it for $800 1+ yr later (thought I'd gotten descent resale) - they now retail for $2300 - doh! To top it all off, I wish I had it back as I'm not sure I was dialing it in right at the time - doh doh!

Maybe Im lost in translation. But the original circuit to whish the Falcon tone comes from its not his Design. He recreated it in this new amp and implementes some patents from Mesa. But its not his Design.
The post you quoted says "are all new circuits designed by Randall".

That sounds pretty definitive to me...

Edit:

And to be clear, almost nothing in amp circuits is "original" from what I understand. Everything is just a variation on very old circuits.

Now where is my FM3 wish list? "Please add a new Gibson amp to the amp listing within the FM3 please?"

I'll get my coat...

LOL, I have been drinking cheap wino sherry. And I have not shaved for a day or three. I am letting myself go. Downhill fast. :)

ya - I'm confused too

re Mesa and my small experience: bought a mini recto 6/7 years ago for $1k Cdn, didn't like it so sold it for $800 1+ yr later (thought I'd gotten descent resale) - they now retail for $2300 - doh! To top it all off, I wish I had it back as I'm not sure I was dialing it in right at the time - doh doh!
i had a Mini, great amp. Sold it because i wanted the big one but ended buying a mark III. I do miss the little guy.

I saw this video that, though a bit lengthy, shows the amps in a better light. I’ll never know why amp companies use somewhat oddball or off-the-beaten-path playing examples to sell something to the masses. I won’t give an opinion, so you can form your own.

Worth remembering that Gibson were selling "bumble bee" caps for something like $100 a pair..... but they were just a 50 cent cap with a fake wax bumblebee moulded around them - so I take a whole lot that Gibson say with a huge grain of salt....

Back
Top Bottom