New G3 amp modeling VS KPA FW 3

I'd sell mine but then there would be a big hole in the desk ;)

I got one of these, trade you for the KPA :)

107346.jpg

At this point in time, I much prefer the Axe FX II. I've got the Kemper along with many of the TAF, Soundside, Britt, Michael Wagner etc. profiles and I can honestly say that the Axe FX II has surpassed the Kemper. There was a time when the Kemper actually sounded more amplike compared to the Axe FX II, but some Firmwares ago, things changed big time and the biggest change is yet to come. Once G3 is out, the difference will become even more apparent.

Well, that may or may not be. But MY experience at this point is that the Kemper has surpassed the Axe in terms of my use. And for what its worth, its sales thru major distributors like Sweetwater and others are making it more accessible. Which accounts for record sales. All I know is at this point I use it more.

Let me be more precise. I'm not necessarily tired of hearing about the KPA but whenever there's a discussion here about KPA and Axe-Fx it always turns into people debating which one is better. That is a stupid conversation to have since they're different products for different people. Which is better depends so much on the user. They're both good enough to fell any audience that you're playing a real amp and that's where we should draw the line. After that it's just a bunch of guitar geeks twisting each others arms.

A great guitar planet using a zoom pedal beats a mediocre player using an Axe Fx (or a Kemper) every time for me.

There's such a fundamental difference in design philosophy between the two. For me, the Axe-FX approach fits like a glove. The Kemper, not so much.

I know there are plenty of people who play for the other team. There's nothing wrong with that. ;)

A great guitar planet using a zoom pedal beats a mediocre player using an Axe Fx (or a Kemper) every time for me.

Yes, but a great guitar player, on what he feels is the best gear, is going to sound even better than a great guitar player on equipment he simply tolerates.

I can pick up any crappy guitar, and plug it into any crappy amp at GC, and have a crowd of amazed people form around me, even though I feel I'm playing like crap, so I can only imagine what those same people would think if I was comfortably playing through my own stuff. Well, I guess they'd do what people do at our shows, and ask us all sorts of questions about our gear, but you get my point. If they only knew...

That's cool! Although my OCD gets a little riled up over how your screen is not centered over the desk, and the very bottom of the screen is hidden. :)

:lol

I figure I will tidy things up after I finish rolling the desk in and out from the wall as I've been trying different ways of connecting things. Also I want to optimize the cable lengths so I have some shorter cables on order from Blue Jeans Cable. Currently I have some ten footers from a previous setup where all that is need now is a foot or so. Damn, talk about OCD. You can see the bottom of the screen it's just that I was leaning back in the chair when I took the picture. I had the screen higher but it put a kink in my neck. Now it is perfect. There is also a monitor off to the upper left out of range of this picture in which I place the Saffire Mix software screen and various plug ins etc. I plan to lower that as well. I really like this little bedroom rig. It's like my sanctuary.

I have both units and since the release of the Michael Britt profiles I find myself using the Kemper all the time. Its not that I dont like the Ax FX2 XL tones, its that I LOVE the profiles Britt creates. The Marshalls are outrageous!

I have yet to try the Michael Britt profiles. Pretty much everyone says they are spectacular.

Did the Kemper guys said the modeling tech in FW3 was going to be improved? if not a comparison with FW18 is pointless.

The first review I read of the Kemper said it was ideal for gigging musicians who needed to re-create their own recorded sounds on stage without shifting all their equipment. Rather than getting a perfectly modelled amp you want a snapshot of *your* dialled in, mic'd up amp.

I never had my own sound so not much use to me!

The first review I read of the Kemper said it was ideal for gigging musicians who needed to re-create their own recorded sounds on stage without shifting all their equipment. Rather than getting a perfectly modelled amp you want a snapshot of *your* dialled in, mic'd up amp.

I never had my own sound so not much use to me!

What if your studio tones came from the AxeFx??

o_O doDOdodo doDOdodo o_O

And if someone made a review comparing the Axe II loaded with G3 vs KPA loaded with FW 3, I'm sure no one here would read it of course.

Back
Top Bottom