New FX8 Owner - Am I Limited to [PRE] Only ? (No Effects Loop)

Hello,

I just received my new FX8 last night, November 28, 2018. Both amps that I will use with the FX8 do not have an effects loop. One is a Fender '65 DeLuxe Reverb and the other is a 3RD Power, WOOLY COATS - EXTRA SPANKY.

I noticed there are preset names that are listed with [PRE] , (PR), [4CM], and [POST]. I have no idea what (PR) stands for.

A1 A Classic 8 FXs [PRE]
A6 Bloomin' Verb (PR) - Is PR a misprint?
C2 Comp Rhythm [4CM]
F2 Rockabilly EX1 [POST]

Because my two amps do not have an effects loops, and if I don't use the 4 cable method, am I limited to the presets ending with [PRE]?

Thank you for any thoughts on this.
Tony Ventura

will you be using both amps in stereo (highly recomended) ? this will also effect your initial setup ...(seemanual above)

no, the FX 8 is quite flexjble and there are numerous ways to use all the presets and convert them to pre (or PR..afaik misprint) onceyou get familiar, and better still, make yourown ,
the best way is to readthis completely now.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FX8/FX8-Owners-Manual.pdf#page37
Thank you, bradlake, for pointing me to p. 37 SAVING CHANGES. Just a bit overwhelmed at the many possibilities the FX8 offers.
Thank you for your response.
Tony

do u have FX8 Edit installed on your computer? also, do tryto read the Whole manual , it will help for sure and the FX8 can be confusing , you bet! we all learn something new here all the time.

do u have FX8 Edit installed on your computer? also, do tryto read the Whole manual , it will help for sure and the FX8 can be confusing , you bet! we all learn something new here all the time.
Yes, I installed FX8 Edit and launched it last night. It is working fine. Due to time and work commitments, I didn't have enough time to work with FX8 Edit. Reading the manual is key. I'll do that as soon as possible.
Thank you,
Tony

I actually saw this video a week ago when Chris was talking about how to route the cables on the back of the FX8 in order to audition the POST and 4CM Presets, however, I wasn't under the impression that you could use that when playing live. Now that I have the FX8 I see can use this technique beyond auditioning and make it work in a live setting.
Thanks,
Tony

I actually saw this video a week ago when Chris was talking about how to route the cables on the back of the FX8 in order to audition the POST and 4CM Presets, however, I wasn't under the impression that you could use that when playing live. Now that I have the FX8 I see can use this technique beyond auditioning and make it work in a live setting.
Thanks,
Tony
I only said “auditioning” so it didn’t seem I was telling everyone to do this for every situation.

Consider that everything you ever do with those amps will in reality be “pre” since it’s all before your amp (which is what pre means). But the FX8 just routes particular things to the different physical Pre/Post outputs depending on how it’s programmed (pre/post internally, respectively).

I think the Pre out jack is actually better for plugging into an amp’s Input jack, so maybe eventually you want to program all blocks you use to Pre and only use that jack. But try it out and see what works with your setup.

I only said “auditioning” so it didn’t seem I was telling everyone to do this for every situation.

Consider that everything you ever do with those amps will in reality be “pre” since it’s all before your amp (which is what pre means). But the FX8 just routes particular things to the different physical Pre/Post outputs depending on how it’s programmed (pre/post internally, respectively).

I think the Pre out jack is actually better for plugging into an amp’s Input jack, so maybe eventually you want to program all blocks you use to Pre and only use that jack. But try it out and see what works with your setup.
Yes, I plug my guitar into IN [PRE] and then go from OUT [PRE] to my amp input. I need to figure out how to take the POST and 4CM presents and adapt them, if possible, to all [PRE]. I'm thinking the Configuration area in FX8 Edit will allow me to econfigure the POSTs to PREs.

Having the FX8 for 1 day, and not getting time to work with it today, because of my day job, I'm sure I'll start to figure things out as I put more time into the unit.
Tony

Yes, I plug my guitar into IN [PRE] and then go from OUT [PRE] to my amp input. I need to figure out how to take the POST and 4CM presents and adapt them, if possible, to all [PRE]. I'm thinking the Configuration area in FX8 Edit will allow me to econfigure the POSTs to PREs.
exactly. just change all to Pre, and it will "physically" change to the Pre In and Out (instead of Post).

keep in mind that you don't have to do that to all the presets - just the ones you intend to use :D the "audition trick" will save you that time, finding what you'd eventually like to change.

exactly. just change all to Pre, and it will "physically" change to the Pre In and Out (instead of Post).

keep in mind that you don't have to do that to all the presets - just the ones you intend to use :D the "audition trick" will save you that time, finding what you'd eventually like to change.
Thank you for the advice, Chris. I'll try changing a POST to a Pre and see how that turns out
Tony

Last night I figured out how to take a POST 0/8 and change the configuration to a PRE 8/0 effect using both the FX8 controls as well as FX8 Edit. Although I didn't try [yet], I'm guessing I can change 4CM effects to PRE in the same manner, obviously not being able to take advantage of the benefits of 4CM.

Now I need to find the best effects for distortion, crunch, blues overdrive, chorus, delay, etc, as I build the first of many pedalboards.
Tony

I don't run an fx loop either - I just made my own presets entirely in the pre section. No issues!

@chris does a good job as usual answering your need

After watching Chris's video on how to POST presets in a non-effects loop amp, it appears that you can also preview presets that are labeled 4CM.

After deciding what POST or 4CM presets I want to use in a PRE type of configuration, [because my amp does not have an effects loop] is it a simple matter of just changing the POST or 4CM configuration setting to all PRE (8/0), and that's it? I'm thinking it can't be that easy.

Thank you for any advice,
Tony

After watching Chris's video on how to POST presets in a non-effects loop amp, it appears that you can also preview presets that are labeled 4CM.

After deciding what POST or 4CM presets I want to use in a PRE type of configuration, [because my amp does not have an effects loop] is it a simple matter of just changing the POST or 4CM configuration setting to all PRE (8/0), and that's it? I'm thinking it can't be that easy.

Thank you for any advice,
Tony
Basically yes.

Back
Top Bottom