New FRFR available... Any thoughts for FM9?

Interesting offerings for sure. I'd be interested to play through one, but I'm definitely partial to wedge shaped FRFR cabs for what I do.

Custom build on these? They look great. Does the 12” sound a lot different than the 2 X 8? Sweet guitars too!

The combination probably sounds pretty good. How would they do for rock at stage volume?

Those are Raezer’s Edge cabs and look like their regular models.
They do look like their regular models, but while the one one the right is a stock Stealth 12-ER, the one on the left is a one-off Twin-8-Tower-ER custom built for me by Rich Raezer in 2004. As far as I know he didn't build any others. I used these cabs, plus a standard T-8-T and St 10-ER, with Acoustic Image Clarus heads for all my gigs until 2007, when I switched to AI combo amps. The two cabs in the photo I repurposed to home modeling duty. They do sound amazing--the tower is the best-sounding cab I've ever used.

I have used it at stage volume to play rock, but probably not the type of rock you're thinking of--'50s/'60's stuff at levels I could tolerate without earplugs.

Photos from 2003:
Retro 9.jpg

Retro 4. small.jpg

Update: The speakers are Eminence full range, pro audio, Deltalite 10's or 12's and Alpha 8A for the 2x8.

Although, Geoff said he can put any speaker you want in it as long as it's available.

"Eminence full range, pro audio, Deltalite 10's or 12's" these speakers are not full range in that they do not cover the higher frequencies. The company data shows their freq response to be 60 Hz - 4 kHz. Many normal guitar speakers can go beyond that. But for FRFR type purposes these alone seem to be a bit of a stretch however they now cover the high end with piezo electric tweeters in these cabs. The only benefit I can see in the stereo position is that fractals stereo effects will be fully reproduced but without the separation normal in a stereo configuration. Still based on the weight and size this could be a good option for many who own modelers, especially the 10" version. The price actually seems about right to me if you add in the cost of a birch cab, speakers and power amp in an all in one unit. The only thing it does not have is an EQ section bass, mid and treble. But that can be covered probably better using the modeler itself. Would be good to see more reviews from actual users on these models.

Not a ton of info on the websote but looks interesting. Having that guitar cab aesthetic is kind of nice. It says it uses Eminence Pro Neo speakers but I don't see any listed on the Eminence site that are anywhere near full range.
I'm still using my old EV ELX 112-Ps but they're getting a little long in the tooth. Will have to keep an eye on these!

Not a ton of info on the websote but looks interesting. Having that guitar cab aesthetic is kind of nice. It says it uses Eminence Pro Neo speakers but I don't see any listed on the Eminence site that are anywhere near full range.
I'm still using my old EV ELX 112-Ps but they're getting a little long in the tooth. Will have to keep an eye on these!
The Blue Amps cabs are interesting too and we're starting to get good feedback from people who have them. Their "Mimic" cabs are "full range" coaxial speakers and are designed for modelers. They're made in Germany and I don't know if there's a US distributor.

are you in the States? If so, did you just order from their website? How much was the shipping? Is four consecutive questions too much? How about Five? :p
Ha - all good. I am in the states, and I reached out directly either through their website or the email that was on the website to Marco, the builder and owner, and told him what I was looking for, with the options that I wanted, including the EQ and the look I was going for. He showed me a picture of one he had recently built that looked just like what I wanted, and I said go! Shipping from Germany was not cheap. I think it might’ve been around $100 maybe a little bit more. Then again, it’s a big heavy box.

I wonder why stereo? its like next to one another, would be more interesting if had 1 x 8 1x 10 in mono
I get that you can use them as mono but 2 of them is very expensive

I wonder why stereo? its like next to one another, would be more interesting if had 1 x 8 1x 10 in mono
I get that you can use them as mono but 2 of them is very expensive
Ever play your rig in stereo? It's a sweet experience, even if the speakers are right next to each other. The Roland Jazz chorus sends dry to one speaker and the modulated sound to the other. That's a rich way to do chorus.

The Roland Jazz chorus sends dry to one speaker and the modulated sound to the other. That's a rich way to do chorus.
I tend to use a slowly modulated short delay, basically a slow vibrato, totally wet to one side, and dry to the other for chorus. I started doing that years ago when I got my first TC Electronics SCF pedal. I liked the chorus, and the flanger, but the vibrato as the second channel was subtle and so pretty sounding.

I tend to use a slowly modulated short delay, basically a slow vibrato, totally wet to one side, and dry to the other for chorus. I started doing that years ago when I got my first TC Electronics SCF pedal. I liked the chorus, and the flanger, but the vibrato as the second channel was subtle and so pretty sounding.
Yeah, that interaction between the two speakers working against each other adds a whole ‘nother Dimension to the sound.

Hiya,

The tweeters are sold separately. I assume they screw to the back of the speake to be 'Coaxial'. From the Eminence site: Please note: BETA 8CX, 10CX and 12CX are coaxial speakers with tweeter sold separately. The data for these coaxial woofers was calculated with the ASD:1001 driver screwed into the woofer, but not active.

Thanks
Pauly

Hiya,

The tweeters are sold separately. I assume they screw to the back of the speake to be 'Coaxial'. From the Eminence site: Please note: BETA 8CX, 10CX and 12CX are coaxial speakers with tweeter sold separately. The data for these coaxial woofers was calculated with the ASD:1001 driver screwed into the woofer, but not active.

Thanks
Pauly

These are what’s in the Xitone wedges. It might not be until next year but I’m going to build a powered wedge with this pair and the same amp used in the Duncan Powerstage. The Xitones seem to be well regarded as far as sound goes. The company on the other hand not so well regarded.

Ever play your rig in stereo? It's a sweet experience, even if the speakers are right next to each other. The Roland Jazz chorus sends dry to one speaker and the modulated sound to the other. That's a rich way to do chorus.
Yes I own 2 Powercabs so i do love Stereo, those FRFR are nice for sure, for my needs and tastes id prefer to have 2 1x10 in mono
PS Helix pictured here is now replaced with FM9

Current  2023.jpg

Last edited:
They do look like their regular models, but while the one one the right is a stock Stealth 12-ER, the one on the left is a one-off Twin-8-Tower-ER custom built for me by Rich Raezer in 2004. As far as I know he didn't build any others. I used these cabs, plus a standard T-8-T and St 10-ER, with Acoustic Image Clarus heads for all my gigs until 2007, when I switched to AI combo amps. The two cabs in the photo I repurposed to home modeling duty. They do sound amazing--the tower is the best-sounding cab I've ever used.

I have used it at stage volume to play rock, but probably not the type of rock you're thinking of--'50s/'60's stuff at levels I could tolerate without earplugs.

Photos from 2003:
View attachment 99671

View attachment 99672
Shorts on stage?!?!?! Only Angus is allowed! :D;)

Back
Top Bottom