New FM9 Day - Quick Question (odd noise)

I got my FM9 Turbo today just before noon, and only now have I had a chance to open it up and try it out. Love the sounds so far. One quick question. When I pick the unit up and rotate it in my hands to, say, look at the pack panel, I hear a little noise from inside the unit, almost a gentle rattle, like something is settling. Could be a ribbon cable moving or something. It's not bothering me at all, but is that normal? The unit powers up and seems to work perfectly well.

Thanks!

Should not. I'd get that looked at. It's all fun and games until a lose screw shorts across a power line or gets wedged in a switch.

I was afraid of that. Does "get it looked at" mean ship my brand new unit back to Fractal?

Thank you for the heads up.

Last edited:
I opened a ticket. Here's hoping it's not a big deal to have handled.

And yeah, I moved it a few more times, and this noise is concerning. Buzzkill, but I guess things happen. I'll see what can be done. If I need to send it back, I'd prefer to get it turned around tomorrow ahead of holiday activities. I already have it boxed up and ready if need be.

Last edited:
Well, nothing yet. I am starting to get nervous. I took the stickers off of the screens because I bought this to keep, and now I'm worried bout paying return shipping and a restocking fee because of this rattle. I know they say 24 hours is typical for turnaround, and of course I know there's bad weather and a holiday coming up. That both makes me want to chill and be understanding and makes me worried that my clock will run out.

Just being anxious - no anger toward Fractal at all. Their reputation is stellar, and I'm sure it'll be totally fine.

Well, nothing yet. I am starting to get nervous. I took the stickers off of the screens because I bought this to keep, and now I'm worried bout paying return shipping and a restocking fee because of this rattle. I know they say 24 hours is typical for turnaround, and of course I know there's bad weather and a holiday coming up. That both makes me want to chill and be understanding and makes me worried that my clock will run out.

Just being anxious - no anger toward Fractal at all.
If there's a problem to be fixed, why would you sorry about a restocking fee? Are you planning to return it instead of having it fixed?

Plus, you can return for free (aside from shipping) within 15 days.

For something that requires repair for a brand new unit, I'd be surprised if you have to pay for shipping. It's different than something that breaks after use, IMO...

If there's a problem to be fixed, why would you sorry about a restocking fee? Are you planning to return it instead of having it fixed?
Fair point. I just realized I'd taken those screen protectors off, and I'm being anxious.

Plus, you can return for free (aside from shipping) within 15 days.
That is the option I was thinking about having blown in the unlikely event that the rattle isn't handled. I know, a little paranoid.

For something that requires repair for a brand new unit, I'd be surprised if you have to pay for shipping. It's different than something that breaks after use, IMO...
Agreed. Here's hoping. Again, their reputation is top notch. Maybe I'm just letting the combination of being stir crazy (subzero temps and howling wind outside) and being stuck in my house with a cool new piece of gear (that I'm afraid to use until I get this resolved) make me twitchy. They'll get to me.

Fair point. I just realized I'd taken those screen protectors off, and I'm being anxious.

That is the option I was thinking about having blown in the unlikely event that the rattle isn't handled. I know, a little paranoid.

Agreed. Here's hoping. Again, their reputation is top notch. Maybe I'm just letting the combination of being stir crazy (subzero temps and howling wind outside) and being stuck in my house with a cool new piece of gear (that I'm afraid to use until I get this resolved) make me twitchy. They'll get to me.
Ah yah, cabin fever. Once FAS Support contacts you, you can send it back and they'll have a look-see under the hood to determine what's loosened up. If memory serves, FAS is pretty good about RMA's regards repairs within the 1st year, if you purchased new.

Meanwhile, find something else to do while you wait out the weather. Am working in my kitchen myself this afternoon and will settle in with a warm cup of tea later on tonight. Can attest to cabin fever, but realize I'll be working with the good China once the weekend arrives.

Ah yah, cabin fever. Once FAS Support contacts you, you can send it back and they'll have a look-see under the hood to determine what's loosened up. If memory serves, FAS is pretty good about RMA's regards repairs within the 1st year, if you purchased new.

Meanwhile, find something else to do while you wait out the weather. Am working in my kitchen myself this afternoon and will settle in with a warm cup of tea later on tonight. Can attest to cabin fever, but realize I'll be working with the good China once the weekend arrives.
Yeah, it looks like I'm not getting ay reply today, which I guess means I won't hear anything until Monday. So I'm going to try to put the box (I've already boxed it back up) away somewhere, out of sight/out of mind/out of worry, and pretend I never got it until I hear something.

Not the post-new gear day weekend I was hoping for, but life is imperfect. I'll deal.

Thanks for the reply! It kinda sounds like something moving - like a shhhht-ik, shhhht-ik. And now I'm worrying about that possible short issue mentioned above.

Anyone else in the forum ever have a noise like that in their FM9?? I'd probably feel better knowing it's a thing that isn't going to bite me later. Is there any way to check without screwing anything up?

Last edited:
I just grabbed mine by the sides and inverted it. I can hear the noise. Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Sounds like a bunch of little pins sliding from position X to Y and back. Not sure how to describe it, but the sound you mentioned seems to fit the bill. Definitely doesn't sound like something rolling around or anything like that. I didn't spend a lot of time listening here.

Edit: Just narrowed this down. It's the sound of all the little buttons moving on the top panel. Again, not a problem here. My FC-12 doesn't make this sound since it doesn't have any buttons on top.

Last edited:
Could be a loose piece of solder or washer that fell into the chassis. FAS may authorize you to open it up and see for yourself, but doing it yourself first without authorization may void the warranty. I'd wait and see what FAS will say early next week. They like have Fri through Sun off, because of the holiday.

Last edited:
I just grabbed mine by the sides and inverted it. I can hear the noise. Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Sounds like a bunch of little pins sliding from position X to Y and back. Not sure how to describe it, but the sound you mentioned seems to fit the bill. Definitely doesn't sound like something rolling around or anything like that. I didn't spend a lot of time listening here.

Edit: Just narrowed this down. It's the sound of all the little buttons moving on the top panel. Again, not a problem here.
[Emphasis above added, as I am pleased/flabbergasted that I didn't make the connection myself before]
OMG! You're completely right. That's exactly what it is. I'm gonna close the ticket. Thank you so much for checking! I'm glad to be merely limited in my capacity to be observant instead of crazy.

Happy to hear you've got your FM9 problem worked out.

Sometimes stir crazy is like watching a bad movie, and you need to change the channel. While it may not be good weather to do outdoors today, spend some time either doing some occupational therapy (working with your hands; like home maintenance, or small workshop or kitchen projects). Once the weather warms a little, clear your head with a walk and enjoy some recreation.

All of this has helped me when I'd been dwelling on my past or been concerned about job stress.

Working with the FM9 is great because it engages your reasoning faculties, but the general consensus is that we need some time away from our devices where we can focus more clearly on what life offers us when we're not playing music.

Happy to hear you've got your FM9 problem worked out.

Sometimes stir crazy is like watching a bad movie, and you need to change the channel. While it may not be good weather to do outdoors today, spend some time either doing some occupational therapy (working with your hands; like home maintenance, or small workshop or kitchen projects). Once the weather warms a little, clear your head with a walk and enjoy some recreation.

All of this has helped me when I'd been dwelling on my past or been concerned about job stress.

Working with the FM9 is great because it engages your reasoning faculties, but the general consensus is that we need some time away from our devices where we can focus more clearly on what life offers us when we're not playing music.
Thanks for the well wish!

I'm humming along happily now that I've overcome my little mis-perception. I signed up for the Cooper Carter class and I'm rolling on that, and I'm hoping to have a printed copy of the manual to go through as well. There's a whole lot of gear in my place that could soon be in someone else's hands, I'll tell you that.

I'm also very grateful to have an awesome job that gives me all of the coming week off. As far as the weather goes, I am letting good food and the exercise equipment my wife and I have in the basement help me with that.

Thanks for the well wish!

I'm humming along happily now that I've overcome my little mis-perception. I signed up for the Cooper Carter class and I'm rolling on that, and I'm hoping to have a printed copy of the manual to go through as well. There's a whole lot of gear in my place that could soon be in someone else's hands, I'll tell you that.

I'm also very grateful to have an awesome job that gives me all of the coming week off. As far as the weather goes, I am letting good food and the exercise equipment my wife and I have in the basement help me with that.
I'd recommend not printing the manuals unless you're just really averse to reading electronic documents?

They change on a regular basis and that's a lot of potentially wasted paper and ink.

I'd recommend not printing the manuals unless you're just really averse to reading electronic documents?
I kinda am. I do so much reading on a screen during my work day (big tech) that my eyes are pretty shot by the end of the day.

They change on a regular basis and that's a lot of potentially wasted paper and ink.
I do get the paper issue, though. Maybe I'll just stick with the class. Every single time I've downloaded but not printed a manual, I've never read it. I'd like to actually read this one, but I need a way to do it that my aging eyes can sustain. Good thought!

I kinda am. I do so much reading on a screen during my work day (big tech) that my eyes are pretty shot by the end of the day.

I do get the paper issue, though. Maybe I'll just stick with the class. Every single time I've downloaded but not printed a manual, I've never read it. I'd like to actually read this one, but I need a way to do it that my aging eyes can sustain. Good thought!
They are very well written.

Another benefit of the electronic versions is the ability to search them easily and also the table of contents links...

But I get you about eyes on the screen all day ;)

Back
Top Bottom