New firmware 4.0.1 makes all my patches very high-end/shrill sounding and loud.

I also have experienced a shrill sound after the upgrade in firmware. I performed a parameter reset after the firmware upgrade as well. I play through FRFR speakers, and I made sure power amp and cab sims were enabled. With the power amp disabled, the shrill is lessened - though the sound is more compressed. I also notice that quick palm mutes on high gain amps are much noisier than before during their decay. I tried adjusting the noise gate, but I can't eliminate the buzz and shrill noises after the quick palm mutes. This might be due to my power source, but I was able to use the noise gate before to eliminate these noises. Lastly, while trying to load Smilefan's "Stone in Schon" patch, I get an excess cpu display on the axe fx that causes a horrible buzz. The only way to eliminate the excess cpu message is to reset the axe fx. I tried to bypass all devices in this patch, but even with all devices bypassed the excess cpu message remained.

Its pretty obvious when the firmware notes say there will be a change there probably will be one. That being said I updated, tweaked, all 20+ of my patches within a few mins...all much better sounding now. Its ultra easy to do.

I must say the username "mcgyver" is somewhat ironic as the real MacGyver could make anything happen he set his mind to. He probably could make a hang glider, defuse a bomb, have some righteous guitar tones, and save the world with an axe-fx, using any firmware he wanted :)

Last edited:
I also have experienced a shrill sound after the upgrade in firmware. I performed a parameter reset after the firmware upgrade as well. I play through FRFR speakers, and I made sure power amp and cab sims were enabled. With the power amp disabled, the shrill is lessened - though the sound is more compressed. I also notice that quick palm mutes on high gain amps are much noisier than before during their decay. I tried adjusting the noise gate, but I can't eliminate the buzz and shrill noises after the quick palm mutes. This might be due to my power source, but I was able to use the noise gate before to eliminate these noises. Lastly, while trying to load Smilefan's "Stone in Schon" patch, I get an excess cpu display on the axe fx that causes a horrible buzz. The only way to eliminate the excess cpu message is to reset the axe fx. I tried to bypass all devices in this patch, but even with all devices bypassed the excess cpu message remained.

If you disable the poweramp modeling, it should be A LOT less compressed. Did you mean gid modeling?

Bypassing effects do not lessen CPU usage. You need to remove unused effects or change them to a less cpu intensive algorithm. For example, change cabs to Loren's mono.

What's the point of wasting time creating your own presets when they are whacked (literally) every three months?

i do understand the frustration with the updates changing tones - i have to adjust my presets just like everyone else. but this is a digital-based product, very much alive and breathing because its creator never stops improving it.

[rant]

if this were a real amp, you'd buy it, they'd update it and you'd have to buy the new amp. they improve it again, and you buy another amp. and these improvements usually happen over a year or more between revisions. and you're out $2000 every year.

updates make changes, that's all there is to it. i think the main problem here is that updates happen too often for some people.

maybe there should be a group that signs up for new firmware releases and gets access to every single one, but others who don't want to be bothered with having to adjusting their presets will only be notified once a year. they won't know about that new feature, but it also means they won't be missing it. and throughout that year, they had a great consistent tone.

but that won't ever happen, because everyone wants the latest firmware if it's available. it takes a great deal of self-restraint to say "i'm in the middle of a tour right now, so i won't update because it will change my sounds."

if they can figure out a way to keep presets sounding the same while updating the underlying engine, then that's great. but i feel to do that would slow down the process of making improvements. i mean, look at that wish list! it just keeps going! and while there's many threads on "we want more amps" there's people saying "stop adding amps, add effects instead." oh and add this metronome, ooh and this thing and that... and i wish it sounded even more real like an amp in my face... but don't change how it sounds while you change how it... sounds.

[/rant]

Reactions: jon
Gotta say, if you updated your firmware in the middle of a tour, that was kind of a bonehead move. The idea that someone forced you to update is so convoluted and childish it's unbelievable.

Reactions: jon
Well, I fixed it. Got a paperclip and a gum wrapper with the foil on one side and then I.........

well, never mind about that.

LOL

I backed up my presets,reloaded the firmware. Seen something this time that I didn't yesterday.
It prompted me to power the unit down. (Even though I did powered it off then on yesterday)
then reset the unit. Then loaded the new v.4 presets. then my presets back in to their slots.
And everything sounds great!
Cheers

Last edited:
I backed up my presets,reloaded the firmware. Seen something this time that I didn't yesterday.
It prompted me to power the unit down. (Even though I did powered it off then on yesterday)
then reset the unit. Then loaded the new v.4 presets. then my presets back in to their slots.
Cheers

i do understand the frustration with the updates changing tones - i have to adjust my presets just like everyone else. but this is a digital-based product, very much alive and breathing because its creator never stops improving it.

[rant]

if this were a real amp, you'd buy it, they'd update it and you'd have to buy the new amp. they improve it again, and you buy another amp. and these improvements usually happen over a year or more between revisions. and you're out $2000 every year.

updates make changes, that's all there is to it. i think the main problem here is that updates happen too often for some people.

maybe there should be a group that signs up for new firmware releases and gets access to every single one, but others who don't want to be bothered with having to adjusting their presets will only be notified once a year. they won't know about that new feature, but it also means they won't be missing it. and throughout that year, they had a great consistent tone.

but that won't ever happen, because everyone wants the latest firmware if it's available. it takes a great deal of self-restraint to say "i'm in the middle of a tour right now, so i won't update because it will change my sounds."

if they can figure out a way to keep presets sounding the same while updating the underlying engine, then that's great. but i feel to do that would slow down the process of making improvements. i mean, look at that wish list! it just keeps going! and while there's many threads on "we want more amps" there's people saying "stop adding amps, add effects instead." oh and add this metronome, ooh and this thing and that... and i wish it sounded even more real like an amp in my face... but don't change how it sounds while you change how it... sounds.

[/rant]
Life sucks doesn't it?

Cheers
Good! Like I said my axe didn't sound how you described when I updated.

I think from 4.01 and on, we have to manually power cycle the unit. If you didn't see that before, you may not have installed 4.01.

Does this mean the problems discussed were all because of user error?

Last edited:
Imagine if Microsoft upgraded Word so that the formatting on all your documents was changed. The words are still there but you have to manually go into each document and reformat them one at a time, but you cant compare the original doc with the new version. Imagine they do that every three months. That is what using the Axe is like. Of course, no one forced me to buy a Standard or a II or an MFC, or forced me to upgrade, but, bug fixes and new features are bundled with the new algorithms, so, does one really have a "choice?". When there is such a radical change (and 3.04 to 4.01 is), it would just be more user friendly to have a switch to change between the settings. There are a zillion parameters that we are allowed to change, why not algorithm 3.04 and 4.01. It would make migration a hell of a lot easier and avoid pissing and moaning like I'm doing now.

Just a humble request by a long time supporter.

Imagine if Microsoft upgraded Word so that the formatting on all your documents was changed. The words are still there but you have to manually go into each document and reformat them one at a time, but you cant compare the original doc with the new version. Imagine they do that every three months. That is what using the Axe is like.

I still use Microsoft office 2003 because I don't like any of the versions after that.

No one forced me to upgrade.

Go.

Imagine if Microsoft upgraded Word so that the formatting on all your documents was changed. The words are still there but you have to manually go into each document and reformat them one at a time, but you cant compare the original doc with the new version. Imagine they do that every three months. That is what using the Axe is like. Of course, no one forced me to buy a Standard or a II or an MFC, or forced me to upgrade, but, bug fixes and new features are bundled with the new algorithms, so, does one really have a "choice?". When there is such a radical change (and 3.04 to 4.01 is), it would just be more user friendly to have a switch to change between the settings. There are a zillion parameters that we are allowed to change, why not algorithm 3.04 and 4.01. It would make migration a hell of a lot easier and avoid pissing and moaning like I'm doing now.

Just a humble request by a long time supporter.

Terrible comparison, so margin spacing is what the crazy in depth power amp settings? Upgrades in word processing rarely offer much beyond GUI improvements, fractal upgrades offer upgrades in so many different areas. What you're complaining about is what makes fractal products so great, constant quality development.

I don't remember haveing to cycle the power after up-dateing to 4.01?? And I had problems with some of the new presets not loading. I updated the firmware and presets from a thumb-drive with my lap-top and had problems. So I re-loaded the presets directly from my desktop and they loaded OK, But now I'm thinking I might need to re-update my firmware from my desk-top to make sure IT loaded OK??

Terrible comparison, so margin spacing is what the crazy in depth power amp settings?
Thats why he made a crazy situation where a Word update meant it changed things that it currently doesn't. Still no one is forcing upgrades there if you don't like what the upgrade does.

Back
Top Bottom