New Drivers Now Available

I am also trying to revive my old driver (still on 10.6.8.). I found all of the old files. How do I make the old driver work again?

I am also trying to revive my old driver (still on 10.6.8.). I found all of the old files. How do I make the old driver work again?

Just run the installer again.
You might have to restart your Mac and your Axe for it to take effect properly though.

Just run the installer again.
You might have to restart your Mac and your Axe for it to take effect properly though.
Here are the files I've found...

Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2load
/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2load.hex
/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII/axefx2unload
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fractalaudio.axefx2load.plist

Which one is the installer and how do I run it? Please bare with me, my background is definitely not in computers.

sgplayer

Go to axefx.fr on the internet.
Look in the folder with the past and present firmware and drivers and find the USB driver installer that was earlier than the new one.
The new one has a number, like 167 in the file name.
The old one doesn't.

Run the old USB driver installer.
Turn off your Mac.
Turn off your Axe, and to be safe maybe even disconnect the USB cable.
Re-start your Mac.
Start your Axe and reconnect the USB cable.

And that's probably as good as USB audio will ever be in OS 10.6.8.
If it's not good enough then don't use USB audio until you cab update your mac to Lion or Mountain Lion.

sgplayer

Go to axefx.fr on the internet.
Look in the folder with the past and present firmware and drivers and find the USB driver installer that was earlier than the new one.
The new one has a number, like 167 in the file name.
The old one doesn't.

Run the old USB driver installer.
Turn off your Mac.
Turn off your Axe, and to be safe maybe even disconnect the USB cable.
Re-start your Mac.
Start your Axe and reconnect the USB cable.

And that's probably as good as USB audio will ever be in OS 10.6.8.
If it's not good enough then don't use USB audio until you cab update your mac to Lion or Mountain Lion.
Thanks for your response. For some reason, I cannot open that site on my old mac. It opens fine on my newer (MUCH newer) macbook pro, but when I click the link for axefx.fr on the old mac, I get re-directed to a Google log-in page. Unfortunately this mac is too old to update to Mountain Lion and Apple has taken the link to purchase Lion 10.7 off their site. This is becoming quite the adventure! Again though, I do appreciate your help. Thank you.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the new drivers but I was trying to install version 10.10 with previous drivers installed and allways got "transfer error" message, but when I installed the new drivers the firmware installed correctly.

This was using the latest version of fractal-bot. It even gave me the impression of installing the firmware faster.

Do I not need to re-innstall the banks after this update? I saw no updated bank files and the last ones are from April.

Wouldn't hurt :)

Use Fractal Bot - back up all your presets first if you have any you want to retain - then use the Bot again to fire all the factory presets across

If you're not overly attached to any of your previous stuff, it would be a really good opportunity to start again - especially if you install 10.12 too :encouragement: (although I suspect there will be a fix for the feedback inducing Chorus block pretty soon)

Wouldn't hurt :)

Use Fractal Bot - back up all your presets first if you have any you want to retain - then use the Bot again to fire all the factory presets across

If you're not overly attached to any of your previous stuff, it would be a really good opportunity to start again - especially if you install 10.12 too :encouragement: (although I suspect there will be a fix for the feedback inducing Chorus block pretty soon)

I have many other presets on the Axe now. Don't use many of the factory presets. Would it make sense to take a backup of all the presets I have, then re-install them or would it not make any difference?

So 10.12 just came now right after 10.11?

Yep, 12 followed pretty soon and as mentioned, once the Chorus block issue is addressed, there will likely be a further update

As with many previous Firmware updates, you will need to be prepared to tweak your existing presets (even if backed up and reloaded etc) because a number of features and parameters have been added or changed. For some, that's too much hassle, but for many, the work is worth it - only you know how you feel about that

I saw it as a great opportunity to trim what was previously 45 user patches down to 15. That has the additional bonus of being less onerous each time a significant upgrade is made :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom