New cab IR feature or "Why I hope it didn't take too much room"

zentman

Experienced
Seems to me that unless you are a studio or have access to a nice mic and some cabs , it will be lost on most of us. There are so many cabs already available that were done by pros that it seems to me to be superfluous. Just hoping that down the line when room is tight and Cliff thinks of something really cool that he isn't prohibited from implementing the idea because the device is out of room.

Don't forget that Cliff said they'd be "share-able" .... I may not have the inventory of cabinets, but others will and I'd love to be able to use others IR's !

I can see the thought making sense; but remember there are more things to shoot IR's of than just cabs (not that there is anything wrong with that though...).

These can be used for match EQ, any sort of outboard gear, etc, etc.. And they can be shared by other users as freely as we can share presets.

In essence, in case you missed it... it functions like... (shudder) profiling at the same time. (Though that'll set the fanboys all running in circles to call me names). Check Cliff's clip comparing the Soldano amp to one recorded direct with the IR he shot with the actual cab (it is somewhere on TGP) and it's as impressive a 'clone' technique as some other boxes supposedly will be...

... in other words, don't knock it till you try it...

Yep I am planning on capturing some fishman aura images with 3.0. These are ones I still use but were not part of the ones already posted.

So yeah, it is generally useful.

Richard

Cliff wouldn't implement this if it was gonna compromise other things. The 4x4 USB CPU issue (and plan to address it) is a perfect example.

This feature will be useless for some but indispensable for others. I have always wanted IRs of my own cabs so I can send the same cab sound direct to FOH, and have the option to use the same cab sound in studio. Finally, an easy way to do that!

I think there will be a flood of new community IR sharing, which is great fun for those with time to explore. I expect the vast majority of them won't be as good as what we have already with RW and OH. So in that sense I agree with the OP.

I think the awesomeness will come from the sharing, there are so many gifted recording artists (of which I am not one) in the community that there should be some amazing IRs to share round :)

Reactions: jon
So. . . will it be possible to capture / create an IR of a FRFR stage monitor such that it could be used as an offset to compensate for any frequency response non-linearity?

Terry.

Considering that if there are Artist presets in the future you could essentially end up with Mr. Vai's 412 legacy cabs

Or some old vintage Hiwatt cab with Fanes that they have not made since 1980 ..I think thats pretty cool

So. . . will it be possible to capture / create an IR of a FRFR stage monitor such that it could be used as an offset to compensate for any frequency response non-linearity?

Terry.

You'd have to create the inverse of the IR. I actually have software to do that but it's in Matlab so it's useless to most people.

You'd have to create the inverse of the IR. I actually have software to do that but it's in Matlab so it's useless to most people.

Could you post it? I've got a strong Matlab and Java/C/C++ background, so it wouldn't be a stretch to try to make a PC program to invert an IR. This could be really handy. It might actually not be that hard to come up with something from scratch, but seeing code would help.

I thought that might be the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have Matlab. Perhaps there are other ways to get to the same endpoint.

Edit. I hit the submit button and then I saw mmcm4's post. Something like this would be great to see!

Thanks.

Terry.

Last edited:

You made me look. Very interesting environment! The data analysis and visualization functions look impressive and intuitive to use at first glance. Amazing world we live in. In relative terms it was just a blink ago that our greatest tool was the slide rule.

Last edited:

Terry.

Why just FRFR? I think it would be even more useful for the tube poweramp guitar cab guys. Get their on stage sound closer to what is going to FOH etc.

Why just FRFR? I think it would be even more useful for the tube poweramp guitar cab guys. Get their on stage sound closer to what is going to FOH etc.
That's a great idea!

Some of them might prefer the non-linearity (e.g. "sweetening") that power amps can impart. However, some patch re-work should straighten that out and ideally take them to a better place. Matching to FOH should be a compelling reason to go through this process.

Terry.

I think this is gonna be an amazing feature with lots of potential uses, I can't believe anyone is crying about it.?.?.? I guess you can't win with some people...

Back
Top Bottom