New axefx II owner: High gain patches sound flubby and farty

In addition to familarizing yourself with tweaking, a lot of your initial challenge is definitely coming from the Mackie. I have the HD1521 and it sounds great at band volume, but really hollow at low volume. I set up my patches through my Yamaha HS50M's and they sound good there and through our practice PA. Through the Mackie, at volume, I still have to roll off some low end (which I do mostly with the built in eq). But at normal home playing volume, I'd have to rebuild all of my patches. Also, instead of the TS808 model, give the Eternal Love model a try as a boost. I use it into the CAE3+ model for my high gain (I play in a techy death/grind band) and it has a bit of a sweeter midrange to my ears...

Also, I like the 4x12 Cali cab for high gain stuff in terms of stock cabs...

Last edited:
BTW what are the advantages and disadvantages of using no mics?

right now I'm not using the mic sims

but I did have a brief noodle with them and came across something interesting that [when get some spare time] I intend to experiment with further..

that is "proximity"

the general rule with mic'ing cabs [even real ones] is:
the closer the mic, the brighter and more focused the tone
but it'll also lack low end
the further the mic, the more low end rich the tone
but it'll lose high end and definition

the various cabs in the Axe were not all shot with the same proximity [mic distance from the cab]
so some come up very deep sounding and others very bright

you can try things like:
- choose a deep sounding cab and a mic you like the sound of, and then start reducing the proximity
the low end will lessen and the highs will start to come through

- choose a thin / bright cab and a mic you like
increase the proximity to smooth / soften the highs and fatten / augment the lows

some cabs you were not so keen on may start to take on a new and very nice tone
the only thing is... this sort of experimentation is pretty time consuming..
but it's certainly worthwhile, and is something I intend to set aside a few days messing with..

In addition to familarizing yourself with tweaking, a lot of your initial challenge is definitely coming from the Mackie. I have the HD1521 and it sounds great at band volume, but really hollow at low volume. I set up my patches through my Yamaha HS50M's and they sound good there and through our practice PA. Through the Mackie, at volume, I still have to roll off some low end (which I do mostly with the built in eq). But at normal home playing volume, I'd have to rebuild all of my patches. Also, instead of the TS808 model, give the Eternal Love model a try as a boost. I use it into the CAE3+ model for my high gain (I play in a techy death/grind band) and it has a bit of a sweeter midrange to my ears...

Also, I like the 4x12 Cali cab for high gain stuff in terms of stock cabs...

interesting!

I'll try both these things soon, thanks :)

right now I'm not using the mic sims

but I did have a brief noodle with them and came across something interesting that [when get some spare time] I intend to experiment with further..

that is "proximity"

the general rule with mic'ing cabs [even real ones] is:
the closer the mic, the brighter and more focused the tone
but it'll also lack low end
the further the mic, the more low end rich the tone
but it'll lose high end and definition

the various cabs in the Axe were not all shot with the same proximity [mic distance from the cab]
so some come up very deep sounding and others very bright

you can try things like:
- choose a deep sounding cab and a mic you like the sound of, and then start reducing the proximity
the low end will lessen and the highs will start to come through

- choose a thin / bright cab and a mic you like
increase the proximity to smooth / soften the highs and fatten / augment the lows

some cabs you were not so keen on may start to take on a new and very nice tone
the only thing is... this sort of experimentation is pretty time consuming..
but it's certainly worthwhile, and is something I intend to set aside a few days messing with..

I dunno why I haven't thought of this as i've done real cab mic testing before hahah :S thanks!

btw how are you guys posting soundcloud clips inside the post without it just being a simple url link?

https://soundcloud.com/olli576/metamorphosis-full-mix-cover-1

Back
Top Bottom