New Axe Fx II owner - a few midi controller options & phantom power!

Steveche

Hey all, I'm new to the community and this is my first post... hopefully it's in the right place! I finally took the leap... saw a great deal on an Axe FX II XL on ebay that I couldn't pass up - within country (Canada) so no extra shipping charges! Since the purchase, I've been spending my time selling my tube amp + pedalboard setup (EVH 5150iii 50w - killer amp!), and purchasing items to go with the Axe - just got the Matrix GT1000FX this morning :) The simplicity for live setups (and recording) is what really got me hooked - I hated dealing with several cables going through the front end and FX loop etc. and doing pedal dances. Within minutes I basically made a virtual pedalboard to mimic my EVH 5150iii setup and it sounded awesome!

Anyway, I've got the Axe/GT1000FX/power conditioner - now I need a MIDI controller. I have ZERO experience with MIDI controllers so this will be a first for me, so I really need help. I've done extensive research and wanted to ask a few questions. I basically want a MIDI controller to have some patches and IAs to go through for my band (no more pedal dancing!). Being able to use the looper on the Axe will be a big plus too, as I like to loop things at home while creating new material and just fooling around. I would like to be able to use phantom power with the Axe so that I only have 1 MIDI cable to worry about for live performances. I know there's a TON of threads out there on this, but I have a couple specific questions. Expensive controllers (ie MFC, Liquid Foot, Gordius, RJM) with tons of capabilities is probably something I don't need. I've looked on Kijiji near my area (within a 45min drive) and found these:

1) Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro - $320
2) Rocktron Midi Raider - $320
3) Axess FX1 - $400
4) Liquid Foot JR+ - $650 (a little further away - has to be shipped)

Again, when it comes to MIDI controllers I'm definitely a noob. That being said I've done some research and wanted to note:
-Axess FX1 is apparently powered through pins 1 & 3 so phantom power wouldn't work with the Axe Fx II? If that's so I'd probably rule it out since it's more expensive than the GCP and Midi Raider
-LF JR+ with small footprint looks amazing! But... I probably don't need to spend that much when the GCP and Midi Raider are half the price
-I'm aware that GCP and LF JR+ can use phantom power with a 7pin-7pin cable (and their respective adapters into the Axe)

Now, my biggest question - while doing research, people seem to like the Midi Raider over the GCP, so it would make sense to get that since they are the same price on the used market near me.

BUT - after reading more threads and owner's manuals, it looks like the Midi Raider can't use phantom power because it's rated at 9VAC 1500mA (owner manual says it needs 1100mA or more). The Axe Fx II owner's manual says to not exceed 1000mA. Is all this true? If so, I do not want to risk damaging my brand new (well, mint condition) Axe Fx II XL.

Is there a way to use phantom power with the Midi Raider and Axe FX II XL? Will this 5pin-7pin cable method I read about work? 7pin end into Midi Raider MIDI OUT, 5pin end into Axe Midi IN, Midi Raider's 9VAC 1500mA power adapter into my power conditioner, and plug the power adapter into the pigtail coming out of the 5pin end of the MIDI cable? Does this bypass the Axe Fx II so that it doesn't damage it?

Here is the cable I've seen people post on threads: Rocktron RDMH900 | Sweetwater.com

Will this work SAFELY without damaging any devices or ports? If not, is there another safe and successful method to make this work with the Midi Raider (ie getting a phantom box)? Or should I just get a GCP? If not, I may lean towards the GCP for cabling simplicity (having an extension cord on the ground just for a power adapter seems a little silly).

Sorry for the extensive post but there is really no "real" answer for this Midi Raider question - others didn't seem confident in threads I read about ways to do this (if it is at all possible). Clearly I need the help and advice!

I was a longtime user of the Ground Control stuff (original and GCP)... They do not work well for the Axe Fx, IMO.

I sold my GCP and got a Gordius, which is a really great controller and super capable... But ultimately I decided for my needs I wanted something a bit more "integrated" and bought a used MFC. Can do phantom over midi, or over ethercon/FASLink (without a power adapter). Now I just use one xlr cable :)

I've still got the Gordius if you have any interest... It works well with phantom and a 7-pin cable. Very nice software editor too.

I was looking at the midi raider or all access, too, before the Gordius... But the power requirement will keep you from phantom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was a longtime user of the Ground Control stuff (original and GCP)... They do not work well for the Axe Fx, IMO.

I sold my GCP and got a Gordius, which is a really great controller and super capable... But ultimately I decided for my needs I wanted something a bit more "integrated" and bought a used MFC. Can do phantom over midi, or over ethercon/FASLink (without a power adapter). Now I just use one xlr cable :)

I've still got the Gordius if you have any interest... It works well with phantom and a 7-pin cable. Very nice software editor too.

I was looking at the midi raider or all access, too, before the Gordius... But the power requirement will keep you from phantom.

Ah I see. I feel like I don't need complex integrating... Mostly want to use the midi controller to recall patches and individual FX blocks for live purposes with my band. And the Gordius is expensive... How much are you selling yours for?

I'd be willing to do $600... It's the LGX-2... The Big Little Giant.

Keep in mind that for live performance and seamless changes you will probably eventually want to use scenes on the Axe Fx, and that is where some of the controllers can be a bit limited.

Gordius and some others allow for very flexible use of the buttons... Others have limited ways to use them - for example, you can use some buttons for preset changes and others for IAs but only in a fixed layout.

If you've not used midi controllers before, these are the kinds of things that can really make them frustrating to work with :)

Good luck with whatever route you choose!

I'd be willing to do $600... It's the LGX-2... The Big Little Giant.

Keep in mind that for live performance and seamless changes you will probably eventually want to use scenes on the Axe Fx, and that is where some of the controllers can be a bit limited.

Gordius and some others allow for very flexible use of the buttons... Others have limited ways to use them - for example, you can use some buttons for preset changes and others for IAs but only in a fixed layout.

If you've not used midi controllers before, these are the kinds of things that can really make them frustrating to work with :)

Good luck with whatever route you choose!

Thanks for the advice, but I'm assuming that's $600USD, which is over $700CAD (I live in Canada), so I'll have to pass. I've heard great things about that controller though. I can get the LF JR+ for $600CAD shipped within my country (so no duty taxes), is that a great deal? Does the LF JR+ work great in terms of switching scenes and all? Even though it has only 8 buttons in guessing you can do more with those 8 buttons..

Thanks for the advice, but I'm assuming that's $600USD, which is over $700CAD (I live in Canada), so I'll have to pass. I've heard great things about that controller though. I can get the LF JR+ for $600CAD shipped within my country (so no duty taxes), is that a great deal? Does the LF JR+ work great in terms of switching scenes and all? Even though it has only 8 buttons in guessing you can do more with those 8 buttons..

I've heard good things about the capabilities of the LF stuff, but have no experienced with them. Lots of people here use them - hopefully they can chime in.

Tb12 from Russia. Cheap and works perfectly with Axe: tuner, scenes, preset names etc.

Tb12 from Russia. Cheap and works perfectly with Axe: tuner, scenes, preset names etc.

I almost mentioned that one... But there is a long shipping time, right? Like 4-6 weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the Forum

You will get everyones favorite here- so, I have the LF+jr+, it does all you ask and plenty more. The RJM's are nice but the price is simply ridiculous IMHO. I would just check the ones you mentioned and make sure they have phantom power and IA capabilities (select delay, chorus, flanger etc) , and go from there.

Seems like you don't care (need) LCD's (like the LF+'s and the RJM's) although I could not do with out them.

That is why bang for the buck, the Liquid foot +Jr+ blows the rest away. once again, IMHO.

I have had and used my LF +jr+ for about 4 years now - no issues. There also are videos by FAMC that will walk you thru every step to setup your AXeFX the way you want- The RJM's will do the same for MORE than 2X the $$$ , so.........

I had a midi raider before that, It was fine, but I don't use phantom power so I don't know if it has that.

Something else to check is a midimate. I have one as my backup. You get 5 IA's buttons\5 preset buttons and preset up and down in . It has 3 modes and is super easy to use. Less than $200 NEW and they do have phantom power with a 7 pin midi cable (sold separately)

Also, something like the midi mate is inexpensive, perfect for your needs now and down the road you could still get an MFC III, Liquid foot+, RJM or whatever you want and have the midi mate as your solid backup, like I do

Actually even the Behringer fcb1010 will do what you want. Add a UnO chip for easy programming and it's the easiest and cheapest option by very, very, very far.
It will not have phantom power, but it has a built in power supply. Phantom can be added by a halfway savvy solderer, though. There are plans for that on the Web. Although I've tried and much prefer using an ordinary switch instead of diodes.

That said, I'm now using an LF+ 12+. Now most bugs are ironed out and I get the thing, it is wonderful. But it is quite a learning curve. There's a wizard for the axe, but I haven't tried it.

Something else to check is a midimate. I have one as my backup. You get 5 IA's buttons\5 preset buttons and preset up and down in . It has 3 modes and is super easy to use. Less than $200 NEW and they do have phantom power with a 7 pin midi cable (sold separately)

Also, something like the midi mate is inexpensive, perfect for your needs now and down the road you could still get an MFC III, Liquid foot+, RJM or whatever you want and have the midi mate as your solid backup, like I do

Thanks for the great advice. I see a midi mate on kijiji for $120, but I'm thinking I might take the plunge and get the LF JR+ so that I don't have to bother upgrading down the road. It saves a lot of space too.

Back
Top Bottom