New Axe 2 owner..thoughts on Mesa 2:90 VS a Matrix 800...?

Nothing55

First off I really love the Axe2..

I've owned a ton of gear over the last 25 years but this thing is Totally brilliant...!!

So I stopped playing out a few years ago and sold my Triaxis /2:90 set up and got a line 6 1x12 spider 4...Ya I know
Any way, the line 6 amp dies after 2 years and it wasnt covered under warrenty and several trips to music stores later and I pulled the trigger on the Axe-2...

So now I'm running it into a PA speaker that my son used for his drums and it's just not right...so I really need to do a power amp and cab...

I'd like some pro and cons of my plans....

Setup 1. Mesa 2:90 with a 2x12 cab
Setup 2. Matrix 800 with a Neolite 2x12 cab

Music style is progressive death metal but I also jam with some rock blues guys and would like a reliable tight warm sounding setup out side of what the Fractal can already do....

Anyway thank to everyone in advance the Axe Change is fantastic and ppl are informative and professional..

Setup 2.... Def... which you could run either using cab sims (some might say not), or without. It's mega light, especially for what it can do. Don't know any cons.

Sings: "21st Century Schizoid Cab."

i don't have experiences with the 2 choices you mentioned so i can't comment on that.

i am curious as to what PA speaker/setup you tried?

Simple - The GT1000FX
The sure winner
Welcome to our little AXE FX II cult!!
FISRT - Go here to check out the WIKI now -> http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/38762-introducing-new-axe-fx-ii-wiki.html
This is where you first source your questions - YEK - Is our WIKI Czar and has made so much available super easily.

THEN - try to search the forum, as your issue may have already come up and there may be a wealth of conversation already logged here (People get a little upset when the new users ask all of the same question without first at least trying a search - OTHERWISE - Do as you did here and through out your post - we will all help you out relentlessly (You will soon see what I mean).

Cheers!

The Neo's are great, however, the CFR Wedges might be more portable and the angle works great if you are mostly playing at home/studio. Those 2x12 Neo cabs can melt your face off - A lot of the guys here are having good luck most recently with the Atomic CLRs as well. I am quite happy with my Matrix CFR Wedges. With the GT1000 the tone is awesome and more volume than you could really ever need.

I am using the GT1000 with Two N12 cabs in stereo. Great for home use and for gigging. I have not tried the NL2x12 yet but I have only heard great things about it.

In any event -- got to get ready for a gig tonight (will be using the N12 cabs as my only source of amplification at the gig - no FOH)

If you are searching versatility, Matrix+NL cabs are great.
If you want only a good sound, I still prefer tubes amps and guitars cabs.
Matrix stuff is really great if your main goal is to have a lot of tonal colors coming from the Axe FX rather than tube amp or cabs.
For me, speaker sims on the NL are pure shit but it works for some... So you are the only judge ;)

Simple - The GT1000FX
The sure winner
Welcome to our little AXE FX II cult!!
FISRT - Go here to check out the WIKI now -> http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/38762-introducing-new-axe-fx-ii-wiki.html
This is where you first source your questions - YEK - Is our WIKI Czar and has made so much available super easily.

THEN - try to search the forum, as your issue may have already come up and there may be a wealth of conversation already logged here (People get a little upset when the new users ask all of the same question without first at least trying a search - OTHERWISE - Do as you did here and through out your post - we will all help you out relentlessly (You will soon see what I mean).

Cheers!

Thank you...

I did do some searching but to no avail

I had the same setup, triaxis-2:90, i played axe also through 2:90 for a while.
Problem is, mesa colors strong and any amp sim of axe sounds like mesa through 2:90.

Now i have matrix gt1000fx and two NL12....lightest and best sound i ever had. U get any sound
u want out of axe....u want a real ac30, twin, marshall...all is there.

I had the same setup, triaxis-2:90, i played axe also through 2:90 for a while.
Problem is, mesa colors strong and any amp sim of axe sounds like mesa through 2:90.

Now i have matrix gt1000fx and two NL12....lightest and best sound i ever had. U get any sound
u want out of axe....u want a real ac30, twin, marshall...all is there.

Thats what I was looking for!!!

Thank you !!! Very much

This.

I used to have a 2:90 and have run several things through it- Triaxis, ADA MP-1, Axe II, Pod, Engl e530. The coloration is a good one. It sounds great. But, most patches end up sounding very similar. If you want something versatile, it's not your answer. Also, consider the cost of replacing tubes regularly.

This.

I used to have a 2:90 and have run several things through it- Triaxis, ADA MP-1, Axe II, Pod, Engl e530. The coloration is a good one. It sounds great. But, most patches end up sounding very similar. If you want something versatile, it's not your answer. Also, consider the cost of replacing tubes regularly.

Thank you everyone for the input...
I think I'm going to go with a Matrix setup with the neo lite 2x12 cab.....this really sounds like I will get the most out of the axe-II while still retaining the classic amp feel...

thx again!!!

Reactions: LVC
Back
Top Bottom