New AX8!

SteveW

Experienced
I have an FX XL+ which I run through a GTX1000 and a Mesa 4 x 12 Recto cab. Love it and have got it pretty down to a science now!

I just got an AX8 for my other place and I'm running through a Blackstar Club 40 (40 watt 1 x 12 combo). I'm trying to use the FX Return on the Blackstar, with no luck (no audio). I don't want to use the Blackstar pre-amp, just the amp and speaker.

I connected the OUT 1/4" (left channel) of the AX8 to the FX Return of the Blackstar, but I get no audio, unless I connect the guitar input on the front panel of the Blackstar.

I was able to do this with my FX XL+ running through my Mesa DR head when I had it...just wondering why it won't work on the Blackstar. Seems kind of pointless running the AX8 through the Blackstar pre-amp, even in clean mode...when the whole point is to use the AX8 for amps and effects.

My only thought is something is up regarding the loop. Did you try just plugging a dummy cable into the send of the Blackstar as well?

Have you setup the AX to provide L+R sum at the OUT1 outputs ? If you happen to run your preset on the right channel only then this could be the reason why you don't here anything on the left side. Attaching the preset might help finding the culprit.

@ Keg8605 Yup, was the 2nd thing I did...figuring that the send needed to be plugged. Same result. Does an FX loop always have the ability to just use the return in place of the guitar input...or do you think some amps have a configuration that requires guitar input when using the FX loop?

Have you setup the AX to provide L+R sum at the OUT1 outputs ? If you happen to run your preset on the right channel only then this could be the reason why you don't here anything on the left side. Attaching the preset might help finding the culprit.
No, but I tried both channels...netting the same result. AND, if I use the AX8 OUT connected to the guitar input on the Blackstar, it works, so it's not the AX8

@ Keg8605 Yup, was the 2nd thing I did...figuring that the send needed to be plugged. Same result. Does an FX loop always have the ability to just use the return in place of the guitar input...or do you think some amps have a configuration that requires guitar input when using the FX loop?

Well it sounds like you might be right then. One last thing, try plugging your guitar into the front of the blackstar. Then setup a preset with just delay and reverb on the ax8 and put the AX8 in the loop (Run blackstar send to the input on AX8, then AX8 out into your blackstar return). See if you get the delay verb...etc. Strange that the amp would be designed that way. Emailing blackstar would be a good idea.

I sort of remember reading something weird about the Blackstar FX Loop. But that might have been relating to Core Amps or the mini portable one running into audio into the Aux return. I think it would shut off if nothing was pluggined into the input.

I
Some amps defeat the loop if nothing is plugged into the front.

I can confirm this for the Blackstar club 40. Had the same issue until I figured that out. Took me a while!

That said, my experience was not good running my Axe into the loop. Sound was very unpleasant. Same presets through FRFR and Fryette PSII into Port City 1x12 sound great!

I

I can confirm this for the Blackstar club 40. Had the same issue until I figured that out. Took me a while!

That said, my experience was not good running my Axe into the loop. Sound was very unpleasant. Same presets through FRFR and Fryette PSII into Port City 1x12 sound great!
Yea just ditch the blackstar and get the Fryette PSII.

@ duderocker Geeeeez I just got the Blackstar...and what a fantastic sounding amp on its own. That said, how did you get it to work finally?

Just as Cliff said! Use any cable and plug it on the guitar input of the Blackstar while your AX8 is plug in the return of the loop!

Does the cable have to have some sot of resistor on it so it's not creating an open circuit and adding noise?

Does the cable have to have some sot of resistor on it so it's not creating an open circuit and adding noise?

All I had at the time was an instrument cable to plug in to "solve" the issue, but the open circuit was probably what contributed the poor sound quality I was getting. My Blackstar is currently out of my hands or I'd give it another test to see if I can make it sound better. I agree, it is a really nice and versatile amp on its own. Personally think it's very underrated and covers a lot of the same territory my Splawn QuickRod used to cover (and a big reason I sold it :))

I had a Blackstar HT 60 you have to put a dummy plug or cable into the front..like Cliff said..I ended up taking and old guitar cable and cutting off the end...when I was using a Pod..many moons ago.................of course I'm still trying to figure why people use amps with the AX8 but that's just me...to each their own :eek:

Well, that worked perfectly! Just used a cable and had no noise, nothing, even when I put my finger on the jack, and I'm guessing because the FX send isn't being used, only the return.

I setup a preset using the 5350 FAS, and a few effects and does it ever sound sweet! Metal at its finest!

Wow..I can't believe how this AX8 transforms and already awesome piece of hardware into something way beyond!

To answer your question as to why people use an amp with an AXE...I already had the Blackstar here - so I figured use that instead of trading in a perfectly good, 2-month old amp that I happen to love. I have an AXE FX II XL+ back home which I use a Matrix with. That's my primary setup. This was a smaller rig for my place in Florida, where I spend maybe 12-15 weeks a year.

But I had to have an AXE!

And I'm not regretting this purchase in the least!

Just takes a bit of seat time getting used to the AX8. Controls are very different from my AXE FX...and I don't read the fucking manuals - LMAO

Thank you everyone for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom