New AE and FW10 update order?

JIMMY G

Inspired
When things do come out, I was wondering what we should do first. Should we install the new AE then back up 9.02, Then download the firmware. If anyone knows what the best way to go about things when the day comes, maybe they could give us the info so we know what to do to get the new stuff installed.

Things like that will probably be mentioned in the release notes and on the site (support & AE pages)

I'm sure a README file will be included with the firmware update to explain..... There has been instructions previously on all firmware updates.

When things do come out, I was wondering what we should do first. Should we install the new AE then back up 9.02, Then download the firmware. If anyone knows what the best way to go about things when the day comes, maybe they could give us the info so we know what to do to get the new stuff installed.
Jimmy, you could park in a chair and stare at it indecisively for hours, but that probably won't provide you much progress.
Or you could
1. Install AE... backup ALL your Banks (+system).
2. On the Axe, save your banks under the Utility page..
3. Sit some more..
4. install the new firmware, following instructions provided.
5. Sit some more.
6. Reboot the Axe.
7. Play...

:roll

I would back up all of your banks, and main presets using Sysex ( for Mac ), or Midi Ox ( for Winblows ), now... just in case, so if there is a weird bug in AE ( which I'm confident there's not ), your existing presets will be safe.

Then, just install AE, then V10, as it seems much quicker to load via AE than it does the other Sysex utilities...

Yup. Im gonna backup manually to sysex librarian, then delete old axe edit completely. Then install new axe edit while installing v 10 via sysex librarian to my main axe, then using AE to my backup axe.

Safer to backup using Sysex or Midi Ox FIRST, as I noted earlier... in the past AE has corrupted presets and/ or changed setting in presets... with all the time and work devoted to AE, this most-likely won't happen, but to ME it would be safer to back up your data ( presets ) with a Utility that only backs UP presets, rather than edits them as well...

I back up with Sysex on a Mac, then make double and triple backups with AE, of the Banks, as well as main presets... safety...

Since I've never done it, I'll ask a NOOB question. To backup with Midi OX, I just fire it up on my pc and do a backup to USB, correct? I use it for downloading presets, but I've never done a backup with it.

Thanks.

Some of us have already learned the "hard way"... not traumatic, but easily prevented, is all...
You guys need to do whatever makes you most comfortable... I'm OK with using the new AE for it (done it lots during testing), but either way, BACKUP everything BEFORE any upgrade.. (on any device).. it's good advice/practice.

Should any previous AE version need to be uninstalled first?

We (non beta testers, mere mortals) don't know yet.
It is possible that a proper uninstallation or choosing a new workspace will be required before installing/launching the new AE.
When in doubt, just wait for the docs.

You guys need to do whatever makes you most comfortable... I'm OK with using the new AE for it (done it lots during testing), but either way, BACKUP everything BEFORE any upgrade.. (on any device).. it's good advice/practice.

"Practice Safe Sysex (backup ) ".... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom