New additions to the family.

So did my first show with them last night. It was on an outside stage on a rooftop in downtown Houston. Cool place. Anyway, the Friedman’s sounded fantastic. Since I have them off the ground on casters I was able to turn off the Lo Cut switch. I had them cranked to. Around 3’oclock and about the same on the AX8 Output 2. It was loud. They don’t have the sound dispersion area of my CLR’s or my XiTine’s but they sounded really damn good.
F7880731-A0CE-420D-8D09-58C9D4DCF6D9.jpeg

Can you get these to actually sound like an "amp in the room" with all the cab thump and everything? Usually FRFR monitors sound very weird to me, like a recording of an amp.
Well basically that is what an IR is. But these do have a amp in the room kind of sound and lots of cab punch and bottom end. Especially when they are on the floor.

I plan to make this exact same purchase before too long. Does anyone know if these work well with bass, specifically funky slap style bass?

bishop, I see you're in the Houston area. I'm going to have to come check y'all out.

Since I have them off the ground on casters I was able to turn off the Lo Cut switch.
View attachment 46073
Strictly speaking, the casters don't raise the cab enough to turn off the low cut switch.
But if it sounded good to you, all is well! Looks like a great show!

I plan to make this exact same purchase before too long. Does anyone know if these work well with bass, specifically funky slap style bass?

bishop, I see you're in the Houston area. I'm going to have to come check y'all out.
You probably want as much output as possible for bass, and the Friedmans don't have as much compared to competing products. And it's way heavier. Not the best choice IMHO.

Strictly speaking, the casters don't raise the cab enough to turn off the low cut switch.
But if it sounded good to you, all is well! Looks like a great show!
When I first fired them up at soundcheck the low end wasn’t quite there. Turned off the Lo cut switch and boom. Bottom end was back but it was an outside gig. Sound can get weird on outdoor stages.

Last edited:
When I first fired them up at soundcheck the low end wasn’t quite there. Turned off the Lo cut switch and boom. Bottom end was back but it was an outside gig. Sound can get weird on outdoor stages.
Yeah, bottom end is significantly less outdoors vs. in a usual room.

upload_2018-4-9_18-1-53.png

Got mine today. Heavy.
Sounds ........ AWESOME.
Ya, they are definitely not light. I’m pretty use to my XiTone’s at 38 lbs so these at 59 lbs. do require a bit more muscle to get in and out of my vehicle. It’s not to bad though. They do sound great.

What do they do better than the xitone? I'm in the market and leaving heavily towards xitone, partially on price and partially on being local enough to go pick them up. But I'm still considering other options.

WELP!!!!
Friedman_Monitors_Comp8.jpg

I liked the 12's but they were not loud enough for me.

I've heard all of the popular FRFR's Fiedman, XiTone, CLR, Yamaha, QSC and ALTO. The CLR is the loudest and and tied with the XiTone for best sounding. I will be VERY interested to hear the 10's and how the volume is

~ss

What do they do better than the xitone? I'm in the market and leaving heavily towards xitone, partially on price and partially on being local enough to go pick them up. But I'm still considering other options.
They don’t do anything better just a different flavor. Little more punch maybe? The XiTone’s are awesome. I highly recommend them. You won’t be disappointed.

Gotcha. That seems to be the general comparison when you can find someone that's used both. Either people are head over heels for the CLR and God himself couldn't create a better speaker, or CLR/xitone/matrix/Friedman etc are all at the top of class and just pick one that has the form and features you need and be happy. Xitone has the right price and the advantage of being local and Mick having a presence here and already reaching out to me once... Pretty sure I'll snag one or two as soon as I can sell some things and afford them.

Thanks for the reply

Gotcha. That seems to be the general comparison when you can find someone that's used both. Either people are head over heels for the CLR and God himself couldn't create a better speaker, or CLR/xitone/matrix/Friedman etc are all at the top of class and just pick one that has the form and features you need and be happy. Xitone has the right price and the advantage of being local and Mick having a presence here and already reaching out to me once... Pretty sure I'll snag one or two as soon as I can sell some things and afford them.

Thanks for the reply
I will say that for creating presets you can’t beat the CLR’s and that’s all I use mine for is creating presets and practicing at home. They don’t leave the house. I prefer the XiTone’s and Friedman’s for gigging because of the more cab like sound and feel they have.

Hey @bishop5150. I read somewhere that the Friedmans sound great loud but not so good when at bedroom volume. What's your opinion on that please? When I play live I go direct to FOH with IEMs, but I want the ASC's for when I play/jam at home keeping in mind I am limited to room level volumes not gig level.

Hey @bishop5150. I read somewhere that the Friedmans sound great loud but not so good when at bedroom volume. What's your opinion on that please? When I play live I go direct to FOH with IEMs, but I want the ASC's for when I play/jam at home keeping in mind I am limited to room level volumes not gig level.
I’ve only played them at full band volume. But if you program a preset with them at low volume I’m sure they will sound great at low volume as well.

So did my first show with them last night. It was on an outside stage on a rooftop in downtown Houston. Cool place. Anyway, the Friedman’s sounded fantastic. Since I have them off the ground on casters I was able to turn off the Lo Cut switch. I had them cranked to. Around 3’oclock and about the same on the AX8 Output 2. It was loud. They don’t have the sound dispersion area of my CLR’s or my XiTine’s but they sounded really damn good.
View attachment 46073
A rooftop stage? I gotta move to Texas! What a great place!

Hey, that's awesome. If the ASCs had been around in 2016 I may have bought them over the two ASMs I have now. The weight and handle positioning on the ASMs is a pain, but mine live in my studio.

Back
Top Bottom