Network Media Player advice needed

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Hi Peeps.

I figured there might be more than a few people here who would be knowledgable in this domain.

I'm looking at setting up a media player with a large library of films and movies and network it to a bunch of "boxes" to play back at various location on my Lan. This is not for a house but the equivalent would be having a NAS or server in the office and a set-top-box (or equivalent - but I want to be able to use an IR remote) connected to a TV in each of my 8 kid's bedroom - kinda! Lol.

I've looked at Plex and Kodi as well as at some [expensive] pro rigs. And it seems to me the systems are still going through growing pains.

Anyone have any luck setting up such a system?

Thanks for sharing!

I use a DLNA capable router with a HDD attached to it. All my TV are SmartTVs so I can watch whatever I want on any TV from the router's HDD, I can watch whatever I want on any SmartPhone/Tablet.

I use Plex at home and it's fine for serving up single streams. The real time transcoding can eat CPU and RAM so not sure how it'd play with "a bunch" of boxes. I access it from a PS3 and a Roku box as well as the iPad app.

I have been using Plex for a while now. I just run the server on my main system which has access to a NAS and have a few boxes / tablets around the house which all can access the server. Works pretty damn well and haven't run into any issues in the past year that I have run it. Kodi is also nice but, it requires a little more manhandling in order to get it to work right.

I'm using a synology nas together with a raspberry pi 2 and kodi .
Works wonders.
But it took some time to get it right.
I'm using it only for one tv and one amplifier.

Back
Top Bottom