Negative results playing my FM9 through a Blues JR.

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
DUe to logistical reasons, my only option for a few upcoming rehearsals is a backlined Blues Jr.. Normally an amp I like, I turned off power amp and cab modeling and plugged straight in. Not good sound. I tried adjusting the amp and my FM9 in any way I could think of to get a good tone and NOT disable my amp block. Any tips or suggestions? Best practices about how you would approach this to get a good tone, and still preserve the amp tones/levels in my preset. The problem with disabling the amp block of course is that it controls much of the scene leveling.

Are there no wedge monitors at the rehearsal space?
Yeah, no monitors and a ridiculous load-in. But really the problem I'm trying to solve is how to best make my setup work with a guitar amp. FOr those that have tried it, what generally works best in terms of amp controls to make this work. And when I say not good sound, I'm being polite. I'm literally tweaking the amp for every scene.

DUe to logistical reasons, my only option for a few upcoming rehearsals is a backlined Blues Jr.. Normally an amp I like, I turned off power amp and cab modeling and plugged straight in. Not good sound. I tried adjusting the amp and my FM9 in any way I could think of to get a good tone and NOT disable my amp block. Any tips or suggestions? Best practices about how you would approach this to get a good tone, and still preserve the amp tones/levels in my preset. The problem with disabling the amp block of course is that it controls much of the scene leveling.
What does it sound like going straight into the amp?

I don’t think a Blues Jr (BJ) has a power amp in connection, and running one preamp (your amp block) into another preamp (the input of your amp) is going to take a lot of tweaking to get a decent tone. If this is just for rehearsal, I’d suggest making a preset with your amp block bypassed and just use the FM9 for drives and effects, setting the BJ clean. The BJ isn’t going to reproduce your stage tone anyway, so there’s no sense in killing yourself to make useable presets that are attempting to do that. As others have suggested, any powered monitor or feed from the mixer would get you closer.

This is just a bad situation. You’d be best served writing a preset just for the Blues Jr. The singer is singing thru some kind of a PA. You cant take one channel in that? Light years better. Honestly, Id be lugging my own wedge if this were me and if this is a rehearsal space, Id be bitching we need some other rehearsal space. Tell me this isnt a studio by the hour.

I ran an FM3 into a Blues Jr. and had decent success, it was a test when replacing some tubes for a friend. The only thing I did on the FM3 was turn off the Cab block. On the Blues Jr. I started with BMT at 5 but got better tones with the Treble turned down to 1 or 2. I also had the Master Volume up, just before edge of breakup. These settings seem to be the norm when going into the front of an amp in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom