Need your opinion: Austin Buddy vs Cooper Carter?

Cooper Carter to better understand your FM3 and use as a reference source. Austin Buddy Live Gold to get a head start of sounds that you can still tweak (using stuff learned from Cooper Carter). Leon Todd for specific ideas and concise deep diving, which you'll better "get" because you watched the Cooper classes.

I'm seriously considering it -- as long as it's not too basic -- I assume he goes into depth ???
Cooper does start basic BUT it builds into some deep dive. It's mainly "here's how you build a preset"; "here's how you get to this and that". By the end of it you'll "get it" and it'll make it easier. I like discovering stuff on my own to help me understand, but his is a nice jump start. Just up to you to buy it or not. My thing was that I've went this far down the rabbit hole...

I'll add to my previous post to explain my enthusiasm on both packages.....

Austin's package is a great source of ready-to-gig presets, as other have mentioned. I keep them loaded on my machine for this reason.

Carter's class teaches a lot about the FM3 and is very organized, so it is perfect as a reference source. I find myself doing this often. He does walk you through building several presets and those are downloadable with the class. When you are done, you should have no problem building your own presets and/or configuring the FM3 to do exactly as you want.

However, here is why having both is great: Carter's class gave me the expertise to open Austin's presets and immediately recognize what he was doing with the setttings. Makes it much easier for me then to tweak and build additional scenes. Even if I am set on building my own preset (I will often at least know what amp I want to start with) AB's presets are a great foundation to lay out a plan for your own preset. So, with both packages, I am able to now build and/or tweak much faster and more productively than if I just had one package and infinitely faster than if I had none.

So nice to see so much love for the class and for @austinbuddy's outstanding presets in here!! This comment stuck out to me--the class and Buddy's presets are a great one-two for this exact reason. My goal with the class was to take students to the point where when they open a preset, they know exactly what's going on--or at least have the tools to figure out what's going on in it! AB's presets are both amazing on their own and incredible foundations to build on! I use them ALL the time!

Man you guys really humble a person, thank you so much for the enthusiastic kudos.

I have and still regularly reference Cooper Carter's Master Class regularly, especially for foot controllers and some more advanced things. Totally worth it! Great learning tool for newbies.

If you are anxious to get playing fast, then my presets do the trick as"plug and play" -- and give you 1000 basic amp tones to help you find your amp(s) and your sound(s) fast without having to do a lot of programming/learning.

But as others have said here, it's good to learn the unit and my job is get you 90%+ of the way there with a base tone, then you can find your favorites and dial in the "final mile" based on your fingers, playing style, guitars and pickups used, style of music, and effects you like.

I just save you a lot of time and give you a good sense of what each amp is "supposed to" sound like. And I also offer updates so when new firmwares like Cygnus comes out you know the presets will be updated correctly (takes some time, but worth it).

I must be doing something right because of all the support like that in this thread, and it means the world to me, thank you!

Last edited:
PS. I have to add one of my favorite things is watching truly great guitar players use my presets and play/be inspired by them. To me, THAT's what it is ALL about.

Cooper Carter is one of the tops, here are three YouTube videos showing him playing my presets that show why!

Last edited:
IMHO it's kind of apples and oranges. The Cooper Carter Classes are a clear, concise approach to increasing your knowledge. Then the Austin Buddy presets are the 'result' of someone that knows what they are doing. You can learn from those or you can just use them out of the box so to speak. When I bought my Axe III my transaction included Axe III, FC-12, Austin Buddy presets and Cooper Carter class. I felt they all were mandatory.
hi,i have the axe3 fc12 and austin buddy live gold.do you have your fc12 useing his soft wear?ive watched alot of his video but yet to see him show you how to config it to the fc12?

hi,i have the axe3 fc12 and austin buddy live gold.do you have your fc12 useing his soft wear?ive watched alot of his video but yet to see him show you how to config it to the fc12?
You just import the Layout file. Read the User manual that comes with the zip file, it's in their towards the back that explains it.

There are a lot of free presets (factory, artists ones on Fractal website and G66.eu) and a lot of free lessons/tutorial.

1000 sounds, 1 minute (minimum) to try each are 1000 minutes that are 16 hours and half. If you play 3 hours daily it is almost a week just to try the presets. In a week I’m sure you can learn how to do it.

You've probably had all the advice and suggestions you'll need for now, but I'll chip in all the same. As soon as I bought the FM3 I enrolled into Cooper's FM3 Master Class... and found it SO useful on so many levels - in terms of greatly furthering my knowledge of the unit and how to get the very best out of it.
I'm not great with manuals and not at all intuitive when it comes to anything technical or computer related, so to be able to watch Cooper go through the very basics of the FM3, to it's much more advanced capabilities was incredibly helpful and, as a result, I am very comfortable building my own presets from scratch. I can't comment on the Austin Buddy packs - never owned any - but I've no doubt the good folks on this forum will have already addressed your AB questions. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom