Need to vent: Cancer Sucks RIP 8/16/62 - 12/25/23

I’m very sorry to read this and I pray you are able to find some peace of mind during this time.

I have had more than a few family and friends lose battles to cancer. One just a few days ago. She was only 59 and a friend from high school days. I had a brother in law struggle for about 5 years with prostate cancer and then pass at 60. All 3 of my Uncles on my mother’s side died from different cancers and my oldest sister (70) is dealing with colon cancer and presently winning. Although the chemo and radiation almost killed her. I’m still trying to figure out the sense of it all.

I’m very sorry to read this and I pray you are able to find some peace of mind during this time.

I have had more than a few family and friends lose battles to cancer. One just a few days ago. She was only 59 and a friend from high school days. I had a brother in law struggle for about 5 years with prostate cancer and then pass at 60. All 3 of my Uncles on my mother’s side died from different cancers and my oldest sister (70) is dealing with colon cancer and presently winning. Although the chemo and radiation almost killed her. I’m still trying to figure out the sense of it all.
My sympathies for having to have gone through so much loss, and glad to see your sister is presently winning her battle.

I really don’t think there’s a way to make sense of it, it’s an insidious disease that shows no mercy to anyone.

My nieces 9th birthday was yesterday so they were over to eat and celebrate, and the adults took a moment to talk outside, my sister in law being a nurse as well as being very empathetic, was asking how I was and to make sure I’m ok and not overwhelmed and stressed too much. And I’m honestly not, aside from the frustration of the hospice and trying to figure that out (which I have calmed down from, the anger does no good for anyone) I have known how this story will end for over a year now, and it’s trying to make all preparations for him so everything is smooth when the time comes. She did give me a hug and got a little upset, saying she wished she could fix him.

I'm really sorry to hear man, that is horrible.

I recently lost my father to pancreatic cancer so I have a lot of empathy for what you might be going through. It's cruel and unfair in the extreme. I'm glad you made this post and hope you have people in your life you can lean on and talk with as you go through this. People can be really 'weird' about death/loss/grief and it can surprise you who ends up being there for you and who doesn't when the time comes.

Take care of your self, and be kind to yourself - everyone's experience of grief is different, and there's no right or wrong ways to feel about things, no proper order in which to feel them, and no correct timetable to progress through them.

I'm going to raise my morning coffee mug to your brother, he sounds like a great dude and an incredibly important and positive force in your life.

Let us know how you're doing.

Take care
This x 1,000. Could not think of a better post to read and advice to give.

I’m really sorry for your loss. In the same position here having lost my mom earlier this month. Cancer sucks.

I know that this is not my thread, and I certainly don't want to hijack it.
But reading through the comments brings things down to Earth, sometimes with a bang.

I would rarely discuss publically any of my health issues or problems (unless the problem was with my AX8 USB....lol) but over the last year I have been waiting for surgery, which when "diagnosed" prompted the surgeon to say, "We will have you into the hospital within about 2 weeks.." Which was well over a year ago, now.

Anyway, they could not do surgery because my blood was a bit anemic. They then put the fear of God into me by saying my blood could be like that because it could be feeding some kind of cancer. If there is a hole in my body, they inserted a camera to have a look. I have never in my life been through such a worrying scary time. Will I see next Christmas, will I see my grandsons ride bikes for the first time, and a whole lot more? Luckily for me, they did not find anything to worry about. And have now concentrated on getting my blood sorted out.

I certainly don't want to make this a me, me me as it is not intended to be that way, but, what I mentally learned from it all was if you see somebody having what appears to be a bad day, give them a smile, ask them if they are OK. If you get cut up in traffic by an idiot driver don't wave your fist and toot your horn, just ease back and let them get past. The top and bottom of it all is that you have no idea of what is going on in other people's lives.

This takes me back to a comment I made earlier in this thread to @Rich5150 when I said something along the lines of "Feel free to give your bro a hug from me, please". I am not a hippy, but I could not have made a more honest genuine comment and request. Most of us don't know what is potentially around the corner in life, so if you have a Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Auntie, Uncle, best friend, cat, or dog, go and give them a squeeze, tell them that you love them. One day it could be too late.

But anyway, getting back to my AX8, I might go and have a look at the soldering on the new USB connector to see why it's not working.... :)

Sorry to hear this, but I too know what it's like. I'll never forget the phone call from my 12 year-younger brother Gregory, whom I got to name, telling me he had esophageal cancer and thinking, my younger brother is going to die before me. He fought hard, had a 14 hour surgery, got a few more years, then passed away a week before his 43rd b-day.

But I will always treasure trying to find our common musical ground. He loved RATM; I hated them. I love DT; he hated them! haha

I called him after I discovered Muse, and of course he was already into them. YES!! We went to their Simulation Theory concert together, and a month later he was gone. Chokes me up writing this. :cry:

This is why it really burns my ass when I see so much money wasted on things I feel we don't need, and that money not being put toward more cancer research.

Sorry to Rich and the others who shared similar experiences.

For everybody, there is something you can do. Fasting starves cancer, and periodic fasting starts the natural process where the body removes proteins, cells and tissue which is faulty, has malformed DNA, or is otherwise not desired. It wasn't discovered until fairly recently and a Dr in Japan got a Nobel prize for discovery Autophagy. We eat 3 meals a day plus snacks, 365 days a year, year after year. We weren't built for that.

currently on an alternative journey to get rid of some cholesterol/crystals from my retina's blood vessels after a brief partial vision loss in half of my left eye (pretty weird experience).
On my 5th session now and I see cancer patients doing IV (ozone/vitamin-C and other stuff) mentioning they're feeling better already after a few sessions. Diet is also on the table (no sugar and supplements to support kidneys and liver).
Heard there are treatments done in Turkey that are not allowed in N.A. and even dedicated vaccines (custom mRNA ones) targeted for an individual (expensive nonetheless) in Germany.
Talking to a naturopathic doctor will bring in extra options than chemo.
Worth's a try.

That absolutely sucks. Very sorry to hear. Gives me a pit in my stomach.

My only advice (which others have said), spend as much time with him as you can.
I lost a band mate (who was the closest thing to a big brother I've ever had) to cancer, and not a day goes by that I don't wish I could just have one more conversation with him.

Go get the Star Wars movies and watch them all with him.

Thank you all again

He is for now doing ok as he says, but as im in contact with the Cancer Institute Social Worker, and as ive said to her, yes for now he says he feels ok but my worry is when the last round of chemo is finally out of his system (It is just over a month since his last and final treatment). When does he stop feeling ok, My one sister is coming down this weekend and we are going to have a talk about funeral arrangements, its not being morbid im just trying to get as much in place as I can so its not an avalanche when it finally does start going south. I am over there everyday twice a day to feed him take care of bills as needed and garbage.

I actually looked back at his primary Dr's bloodwork and it was back in 2016 when is PSA started going up, again as I talked with family he has never been proactive about his health and if he had none of this would have been necessary. But its nothing that will be brought up as what's done is done and we can't change the past now.

So I wanted to give an update

Its been a tough couple of months, We unfortunately lost our Mom on Oct 19th I think it was especially difficult on my brother as she was in the hospital for a couple of days before she passed and there was no way in his condition to get him up to see her while me and my sister took the responsibility of taking care of all of the arrangements. The one thing we are thankful for is that she passed before my brother did, My greatest fear was him passing and having to go and tell her.

His health has started to decline as well in the past month, He is eating less and less but I still go and feed him twice a day and make sure he's taking his meds that he needs to take. It is sadly part of the progression of this disease. Ive been in contact with his Nurse and the Social Worker from the institute, and they agree with that. Our hope is that he makes it to Christmas, I don't know that he will but I hold that hope as well.

Back
Top Bottom