Need to Remove Some "Thump" - Seeking Advice

Warrior

Power User
Hey Fella's,
I play through my recording rig 95% of the time right now. I've been experimenting with my FRFR (See signature) and it has a LOT of low end thump.

I need to remove some thump and tighten up the bottem end a little. Where should I start with this?

Thanks!

Warrior said:
Hey Fella's,
I play through my recording rig 95% of the time right now. I've been experimenting with my FRFR (See signature) and it has a LOT of low end thump.

I need to remove some thump and tighten up the bottem end a little. Where should I start with this?

Thanks!

turn off thump?

javajunkie said:
Warrior said:
Hey Fella's,

Thanks!

turn off thump?
...which is a parameter on the Advanced page of the Amp block. :p

...the other places I'd immediately check are of course the Bass parameter of the Amp block's first page, and the Lo-Cut Frequency parameter on the Advanced page.

...after that, I'd probably try different cabs/mics and/or start adding an EQ into the chain.

(or... noting that you have an HPR 122i from your sig... switch on the low-cut filter on the back of the speaker, if you haven't already)

godprobe said:
...after that, I'd probably try different cabs/mics and/or start adding an EQ into the chain.

Or as an alternative to a PEQ/GEQ, a multi-band compressor can help with tightening up the low end.

Do you by any chance have the monitor sitting or lying on the floor, as opposed to raised above the floor?

Like all speakers with any degree of bottom end, the effect of having the QSC on the floor will be to reinforce low frequencies.

DNW said:
godprobe said:

Or as an alternative to a PEQ/GEQ, a multi-band compressor can help with tightening up the low end.

+1 on the MBC. I use it on my high-gain patch to reduce the sub-100Hz and it works like a charm.

Ventanaman said:
+1 on the MBC. I use it on my high-gain patch to reduce the sub-100Hz and it works like a charm.

Hi Ventanaman,
that sounds interesting.. Haven't used the MBC much yet, but could you elaborate a little further on how you set up the MBC and where in the chain? (In the end i guess?)

Thanks man! :)

Kranking the DAMP parameter (bigger values = tighter bottom end) and fiddling with the MASTER volume (fat middy sound at about 75%, more scooped at 70% etc.) of the amp block can help.

quasimono said:
Ventanaman said:

Hi Ventanaman,
that sounds interesting.. Haven't used the MBC much yet, but could you elaborate a little further on how you set up the MBC and where in the chain? (In the end i guess?)

Thanks man! :)

Obviously I'm not Ventanaman but I'll answer anyway. When I used to use it on some of my high gain stuff, it'd come after the tone parts of the chain (i.e. after the cab), and basically it just keeps the low end a bit more consistent. The freqs you need to tame will vary depending on your amp, cab, settings, etc. Some amps might have a higher low end bump than others, so you'll have to kinda just use your ears a bit to figure out what your situation needs.

Basically though, where normally the low end would spike a bit, the MBC would reduce that low end a bit to keep it from being too much, while leaving the other freqs alone (unless you've dialed in settings on the other pages too of course). On the other hand if you used a simple PEQ to just target those pesky lows, you could get rid of that low end bump, but might find that because it only happened say, with certain palm muted notes, every other thing you play is lacking something with those freqs reduced.

Reduce the speaker resonance frequency.
Most amps are set to ~85 Hz by default. I reduce the frequency to 75 Hz and I'm satisfied.

Great info here guy's. Thanks!

So far, tweaking the Lo-Cut Frequency parameter has yielded some good results.

I'm going to experiment with the other suggestions as well.

Lots to learn with regards to the MBC.

Back
Top Bottom