Need to purge my tube amps. What about guitars?

DLW

Inspired
What about guitars? There are so many amps effects and tones in the AXE3 that my tube amps just have to go except maybe one or two.

Its just time to let go of amps cabs and speakers. That will be done. Now I am wondering about guitars. I have too many guitars. So many pickup options. Tele Strat P90 Mini’s and a lot of humbuckers with all sorts of A2 A5 and Ceramic magnet versions.

With so many options in the AXE3 and so much ability to shape and fine tune tone at any volume and with selling off amps I keep feeling I need to purge guitars and pickups too. Its just seems like you could do almost anything with just a few guitars and the AXE3. Probably even just one. I am just starting to look at gear with a new set of eyes and ears.

Is this common for new users to get to this dilema to consider downsizing guitars too?

Did you all downsize your guitars too along with your amps?

If this question is better suited in the General Topics > Guitars section them please move it over there. Thank you!

I guess what I am getting at is I keep trying hash out what amps I need to get rid of and really thinking about guitars too. In my mind I get it down to a few then the next minute the number goes back up.

This must be a little bit like what it feels like for a hoarder the day the dumpster shows up and gets dropped off at the house and no more talk just time for action and the hoarder starts too wig out and loose their shit. Well I need that and that too. Lol

When looking at need I can narrow the guitars down to a few. When look at want the number goes back up. In all honesty the AXE and one guitar could probably keep a hobby player like me occupied for years. Very different than compared to a few amps and a guitar. There seems to be endless possibilities in that black Fractal box plus updates.

Just wondered if others went down this same road of contemplating letting guitars go too once they got an AXE3?

Last edited:
The Axe-Fx cured my GAS for amps and pedals, but it has made me want to get more guitars because it allows me to hear the differences between the guitars better. Heck, our band typically plays small venues, but I still can't resist bringing five guitars to every gig. (I could probably narrow it down to four using the Virtual Capo, but that'd mean choosing between two Strats that I really like.)

Ask an oil painter to only use cyan, magenta, and yellow for expression when the artist is used to a broader color gamut with extenders as well as various flavors of white or black.

You may get buy in from the artist for one piece as a back to basics experiment, but usually the artist will gravitate towards a broader color gamut afterwards.

Why? The artist is used to expression using a broader set of materials.

Guitarists who have a broader variety of pickups/ instruments tend to have the same feelings and instincts.

Reasons to downsize:

• money
  • space
  • lack of use (see 1 and 2 lol)
  • option paralysis (see 3).
Money is doing ok at the moment but need to sell some stuff to cover the cost of the AFX3 and purchase some monitors.

Space- Yes. I now have more gear than the space I have. Have been collecting for goal of adding a studio/jam room on to the house and not sure if I want to give the money time focus and energy for that now. I just want to play guitar more now. Not later.

Lack of use-yes. There is only so much gear a person can reasonably play even a little bit per month. If you got 10 guitars you could rotate every three days. Got 15 rotate every two days. got 4-5 rotate every week. Obviously you could play several a day but just making examples. I do not want to keep guitars just to have them or pull them out once a season or year. With recent thought just want to move from having a broad collection to having a focused arsenal without getting the number too low that in a month I feel like I need to go buy something back. That will also require me to admit I am an addict and set some behavior limits or get a sponsor.

I love guitars ever since young. Always had more fun with say 10 guitars and 2 amps than 2 guitars and 10 amps. Picking one up is inspiring and makes you play differently and keeps it interesting. That said trying now to strike a balance between a hoarder and a player. I will be turning 50 this summer. Just trying to get my shit together. The clock is running. Maybe the thought of me getting hit by a bus and my family letting someone off Craigslist come in and say take it all for $500 just get it out if my house is motivating me.

Option paralysis- At times absolutely. Its out if balance now. Can feel too much time lately of dealing with researching/buying/selling that could be better used for playing guitar. GAS and gear slut/junkie has its pitfalls for sure. Option paralysis made me think of a modern day kid who has so many toys that they do not play with any of them and say they are bored or want something else. Thats being too dramatic but I do not what to be that kid.

Thanks for the feedback and reading this long winded crap. Its helps to take a good honest look at it all and get some perspective. I feel I know what needs to be done. Making my decision today of what will go and what will stay. Just trying to pair up the right guitars to use with this amazing black box and never look back.

I am reminded of the great philosopher Sam Elliot who said to Patrick Swayze in the great American cinema classic “Roadhouse” ............ “You just need to cut it the fuck loose”

Last edited:
The axe fx works with whatever you can plug into it. If you want to cull heavily, sell anything that doesnt make you get lost in playing it.

Reactions: DLW
I'd keep the amps TBH, especially if you have some great ones (e.g. JCM800, Bogners, Soldano, VHT/Fryette, older Egnaters, that kind of thing). They're fun to fire up every now and again, and they don't take that much space. Although if you're in Seattle area and have a VHT Pittbull Ultralead, then of course you should sell it to me. I sold mine in a moment of insanity a few years ago, still kicking myself. What an amp.

Reactions: DLW
Back
Top Bottom