Need some help with the comp block/ reverb block

tfodor

Inspired
Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble with the comp block. Trying to get a nice and squashed sound in the attached preset, but I'm having a small problem. Everytime I play a note, the reverb rings out as wanted, but as soon as I hit the next note, there's an instance with no reverb and it's super awkward..Also, I can hear the reverb ducking in and out... I'm assuming this has to be because the threshold of the compressor. I'm not sure if it's the location of the compressor or the reverb or what. Help wanted please!

Thanks!

View attachment comp test.syx

The routing in this preset is an enigma. If you just use a simple serial routing my bet is that your issue will be fixed.

I downloaded it last night but didn't get a chance to try it until a little bit ago. I too was a bit confused by the wayward amp in line three, but I figured you just hadn't gotten that far with the preset.

I thought it sounded pretty cool, as long as you were shooting for that whole ambient reverby thing, which I'll admit is not my specialty. So unfortunately I can't help you with the lack of reverb after the first note which you described.

Keep at it, it'll come. Someone is bound to chime in who actually plays that type of music well to steer you in the right direction.

You have some heavy handed ducking turned on reverb block. All I'm hearing is the ducker attenuating the reverb between note plucks. Have you tried removing the ducking on the reverb? With the ducking gone, every note is getting reverb applied as expected. At least reduce the ducking attenuation to something less severe? Around 20 dB for me was working well with my Strat.

Also: why two lines out of the reverb? Lots of weird happening here...

Once I cleaned it up, it's actually a nice patch. Has a bit of that Explosions In The Sky thing happening in it.

Edit: Also, wasn't sure what user cab you were using with it but Factory cab 126, 4x12 Citrus Mix (UR), is one of my favourites to pair with the usually dark sounding Shiver Clean model and it works really well here.

Edit: Also didn't find the non-AMP signal added much, especially since you're running it in to the CAB block and not bypassing the whole AMP-CAB chain.

This sounds pretty good to me, with the routing fixed, and these ducker settings on the REV block:

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-11%20at%209.19.16%20PM.png

Here's the patch: shallow water

Last edited:
I downloaded it last night but didn't get a chance to try it until a little bit ago. I too was a bit confused by the wayward amp in line three, but I figured you just hadn't gotten that far with the preset.

I thought it sounded pretty cool, as long as you were shooting for that whole ambient reverby thing, which I'll admit is not my specialty. So unfortunately I can't help you with the lack of reverb after the first note which you described.

Keep at it, it'll come. Someone is bound to chime in who actually plays that type of music well to steer you in the right direction.

The routing in this preset is an enigma. If you just use a simple serial routing my bet is that your issue will be fixed.

Hey thanks guys! Cliff, you're the man. I ended up going with what iaresee did, but thanks!!

You have some heavy handed ducking turned on reverb block. All I'm hearing is the ducker attenuating the reverb between note plucks. Have you tried removing the ducking on the reverb? With the ducking gone, every note is getting reverb applied as expected. At least reduce the ducking attenuation to something less severe? Around 20 dB for me was working well with my Strat.

Also: why two lines out of the reverb? Lots of weird happening here...

Once I cleaned it up, it's actually a nice patch. Has a bit of that Explosions In The Sky thing happening in it.

Edit: Also, wasn't sure what user cab you were using with it but Factory cab 126, 4x12 Citrus Mix (UR), is one of my favourites to pair with the usually dark sounding Shiver Clean model and it works really well here.

Edit: Also didn't find the non-AMP signal added much, especially since you're running it in to the CAB block and not bypassing the whole AMP-CAB chain.

This sounds pretty good to me, with the routing fixed, and these ducker settings on the REV block:

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-11%20at%209.19.16%20PM.png

Here's the patch: shallow water

Thanks so much! The messiness of the preset was because due to the fact that I was actually removing a few other elements I had inside. I had it routed a few different ways and just didn't clean up the deleted blocks. Thank you so much! The reverb dampening was the problem I was having but I was struggling to formulate it. Thank you again!

Thanks so much! The messiness of the preset was because due to the fact that I was actually removing a few other elements I had inside. I had it routed a few different ways and just didn't clean up the deleted blocks. Thank you so much! The reverb dampening was the problem I was having but I was struggling to formulate it. Thank you again!
Cool. Glad you liked what I did. I might use this one myself -- sounds good! :D

Back
Top Bottom