Need some help isolating a guitar track

bonewax21

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have any experience isolating guitar tracks from song. I'm posting a link to a video by per nilsson and I'm trying to isolate the actual guitar and remove the backing track so I can tone match it. Does anybody have experience with this with using programs like audacity or something else? Thanks

Would love to get that Strandberg Just Intonation guitar. Open G and D drive me crazy when recording.

I just tried "vocal extractor' from IOS app store. Remove most vocals from Sundsy Bloody Sunday, but really not for just isolating guitar from backing track.

I really like AnyTune for picking apart songs... Its got some pretty cool filtering, transposes keys pretty nicely, designed for learning songs. Haven't tried spleeter but XTRAX STEMS is paid for software that splits songs out. I haven't tried it but it looks pretty cool. I've had pretty good luck with any daw just by applying eq, panning, or isolating a single channel but I really like what you can do with AnyTune. They have a pretty cool interactive visualized filter. There are pretty good howto guides using Audacity as you asked about but that pretty much applies to any audio editing app.

Hey guys thanks for all the help I found another video of him playing a strat that has a very cool sound as well it's just him by himself so im gonna go ahead and tone match that. what I have decided to do is look at his library of music and try to find a video with just him playing with the same tone instead of trying to meander through all these weird programs and splitting up the audio I really don't know a lot about that stuff but thanks anyways

Since the backing track was found, you could add the backing track to a separate track in audacity, then time and level align it and invert the phase to cancel it out or "delete" the backing track. It won't work perfectly because of youtube compression changing things but you might get decent results.

I'll have to try that. I actually used a site that uses spleeter and it broke up the song for me. Still a lot of hiss on the guitar track but it was "ok". I also found videos on his channel of him playing with this same tone. So I have a lot of tone matching to do. I'll update this thread when I put the matches on axe change.

Hey guys thanks for all the help I found another video of him playing a strat that has a very cool sound as well it's just him by himself so im gonna go ahead and tone match that. what I have decided to do is look at his library of music and try to find a video with just him playing with the same tone instead of trying to meander through all these weird programs and splitting up the audio I really don't know a lot about that stuff but thanks anyways

You won't get very good results from a cell phone video. You really need a quality, direct, isolated recording. And hopefully some chords being played to capture the widest frequency range possible. Also, you will need to mimic his technique as closely as you can to get a good match.

I'm sure you know as well as I do that tone matching is just a starting point. Ive matched dozens of players but I had to do a lot of tweaking to the actual preset. It just gave me a point of reference

I'm sure you know as well as I do that tone matching is just a starting point. Ive matched dozens of players but I had to do a lot of tweaking to the actual preset. It just gave me a point of reference
Generally correct, and an awesome tool to see what is needed. But with great source material and accurate playing, an almost perfect match can be achieved.

B.T.W. That is an awesome/unique tone (and playing!) in the O.P. I can see why you would want to match it.

well guys my tone match for this song is finished. Ill be posting a link to the thread with the actual .syx file. I used axe fx2 so if you have 3 then just convert it. I'll go into more detail how i matched this tone in the actual preset thread because this was a pain in the ass for sure to get it right.

Totally hijacking the thread here, but that tone is great. Any suggestions on what drive / amp / other blocks to use to get close-ish to it?

Totally hijacking the thread here, but that tone is great. Any suggestions on what drive / amp / other blocks to use to get close-ish to it?
I'll post everything about it in my preset thread when I get home. Stuck in the in n out drive thru right now 😢

Back
Top Bottom