Need some help dialing in a high gain tone

Cadavuh

Im running through an atomic MB-50 and a 4x12. I just got the axe fx about a week or so ago and i have a pretty good sound going but at band volumes the tone gets wayyyy too scratchy and trebly. Im using the FAS modern with the gain at 0 and a drive block with an 808, a lowpass and highpass filter with a paraeq cutting some upper mids. Im looking for something really clear with a lot of midrange but still really smooth, with a really smooth high end. Heres a vid with the periphery guys demoing the same set-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1X6likPKS8

What im going for is pretty close to what Jake get at around 5:15

take a look at this thread
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18789

and/or lower the HF Resonance parameter in the amp block's ADV tab to ~2,5

for a quick fix during rehearsals, put a filter block at the end of your signal chain, set it to lowpass and lower the frequency until the 'scratchiness' goes away.

That resonance trick, among other little tricks, worked a lot thanks! One thing though, now the tone sounds a little too muffled. Any tips for getting rid of that while keeping that annoying scratchy high end in check?

- more treble, less (negative?) presence

- less treble, more Presence

- turn up warmth

- lower the Hi-Cut Frequency

- put a drive block /Tape Dist) after the amp or cab block and use Tone/HiCut/EQ to get the response you like.

whatever works for you.

Might want to try some surgical ParaEQ. Set the Q to as narrow as possible (5.00), set the band to +12Db and do a sweep starting from around 2KHz or so and up while you play (I just hit the strings and let them ring). When you find the undesirable freq, it will likely jump right out at you. Then lower the Db for that band to what sounds good.

There is a post around here somewhere with a link to an article with this described significantly more ellegantly than what I mustered. I must say that it has really helped me with this issue. On my main "go to" patch, I found 2 such frequency locations (3.3KHz and 5.7KHz if memory serves), YMMV so use your ears. Good luck!

Thanks guys, all posts have been helpful. I still have 1 question. I've gotten a lot closer to what im going for but the tone is still too sizzly/wet/saturated/whatever you want to call it as opposed to dry and crunchy, which is more of what im going for. How can I get more dry and crunchy? Signal chain is compressor -> drive -> highpass filter -> amp(fas modern) -> lowpass filter -> paraeq. Is there an amp model thats just as good for metal while being crunchier/dryer? I already have the gain on 0 in both the amp and drive block.

too_much_power said:
Why gain at 0 at the amp?

+1, most of the newer type amp models are pre/master types and will get similar response to the real amps. Try turning the master down and drive up. There are many modern amps in the AxeFX - Mesa, Bogner, etc. I'd suggest starting with all blocks bypassed except the amp block, cycle through the different amp types after holding "bypass" to reset to default values. See how close you can get with this before adding any other blocks. Refer to the Wiki to see exactly which amps are modeled - you can't tell on some of them from their Fractal names.

Cadavuh said:
Thanks guys, all posts have been helpful. I still have 1 question. I've gotten a lot closer to what im going for but the tone is still too sizzly/wet/saturated/whatever you want to call it as opposed to dry and crunchy, which is more of what im going for. How can I get more dry and crunchy? Signal chain is compressor -> drive -> highpass filter -> amp(fas modern) -> lowpass filter -> paraeq. Is there an amp model thats just as good for metal while being crunchier/dryer? I already have the gain on 0 in both the amp and drive block.

Are you using both the compressor and drive block with a high gain amp model? Try turning the compressor and drive block off and using just the amp model. There are some models with insane amounts of gain. This might not be where you end up, but you are wrestling with too many variables. In particular, compression and high gain don't mix for me.

JWW

too_much_power said:
Why gain at 0 at the amp?

To decrease saturation

tubetonez said:
+1, most of the newer type amp models are pre/master types and will get similar response to the real amps. Try turning the master down and drive up. There are many modern amps in the AxeFX - Mesa, Bogner, etc. I'd suggest starting with all blocks bypassed except the amp block, cycle through the different amp types after holding "bypass" to reset to default values. See how close you can get with this before adding any other blocks. Refer to the Wiki to see exactly which amps are modeled - you can't tell on some of them from their Fractal names.

What will turning the master down and drive up do?

JWDubois said:
Are you using both the compressor and drive block with a high gain amp model? Try turning the compressor and drive block off and using just the amp model. There are some models with insane amounts of gain. This might not be where you end up, but you are wrestling with too many variables. In particular, compression and high gain don't mix for me.

JWW

Yea I am. The drive block adds low end clarity and tightens the bass. The compression just adds clarity and tightness all around, it doesnt alter the tonal frequencies very much.

Back
Top Bottom