Need some assistance with an amp choice an patch design

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Hi.

Being a low to medium-gain amp player mainly, I have limited experience with the sound design in the heavier gain category.

I have to play some tunes similar in style to Nickelback and Doughtry. The heavy guitar riffs are obviously multi tracked, but I'd like some pointers on how to get that type of tone in a live setting. I've tried Diezels, Rectos. I get decent tones but they don't sound quite right.

Thanks.

Quite difficult to answer... Pretty impossible IMO ...
You shall take a look at Fremen hi-gain starting pack ( search in preset exchange sub-forum ) You may find something that suits your needs and then you can tweak your personal taste and drive amount ... Surely better than creating several patches and auditioning if you're not dealing usually with hi-gain tones... Fremen is good starting point ... Actually was one of my main references to understand where to look in the axe... A lot to learn !!
Good look with your tone !

Here is an excerpt that gives you a little bit of information on amps they use......

The engineer miked the guitarists' amps with SM57s. The amps included a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with a 4/12 cabinet, Peavey Triple X amp with a 4/12 Peavey cabinet, Vox AC30 and Fender Twin. Moi used one mic per cabinet. “We had one performance on either side,” he says. “We would record one mono track and then record another mono track. It makes it really thick. We'd blend all of the amps down into one track and record two tracks: a left and a right. Then, when the chorus comes, you get them to do it four times and have two guitars on each side.”

I realize this describes the recording technique but just noting the amps being used. You could do 2 amp blocks and also add some pitch/due tune to thicken it up for live usage etc.

It depends by your guitar , not only the axe ...
If you want a huge high gain try the 3 channel modern of the recto ... Maybe a fox too ... I'm not really a fan of hard panning ... I prefer to pan center 2 different cabs ... Of course the Ir are very important ...
I made a very cool patch with 2 cabs panned center ... ( hi-gain stuff ) UltraRes ... Clark Kent Mesa V30 UR and GuitarHack classic edge
Try to listen to your tones at high enough volume or expect to have way too much drive dialed in when coming at gig volumes ...

The axe reacts very well IMO with hi gain amps with fair low drive and a drive ( ts808 or a Fas Led ) in front with 0+ gain just to "drive/compress" the input ...
My recipe is... DON'T blend any modulation until you are satisfied with the overall tone ...
A hi pass and low pass are required to deal with some harshness and sublows ... Very ULTIMATE CHORD OF DOOM when you play alone but that make you disappear when your playing along your bass player
I can stay here and talk another 1000 lines but as always ... Patience and your ears rules so... ROCK 'N'ROLL

Back
Top Bottom