Need Help with live set up and monitoring.

stinkytofu

Touring oversea in Asia and Middle east and I never know what the venue will provide. Weight is an issue. I can spend anywhere from 4 months to a year at a particular venue.

So Far I have been using my axe FxII XL Live On stage, using the (FX loop send block) bypassing the speaker cab block, through output 2, to the effects loop of a Randall Solid-state 100w KH head, which powers a Randall KH 4X12 cabinet. Out put 1 goes directly into the mixing desk to (FOH) using the axe’s modeled speaker. The results have been a bit disappointing especially when performing at gig volume and I feel like I can tweak forever and never be satisfied. I feel like I have similar tone issues as I had when i used cheaper modelers. I love my Axe Fx and do realize I’m plugging a dollar into a dime, but at this point it is what I have available. Maybe I'm missing something

Ultimately I wish to utilize the full capabilities of the Axe FX, (Amp and Cab modelers) as I had amazing results at home with some KRK 5” monitors. But when I’m forced to use a guitar amp for monitoring, even a nice quality amp, I seem too get disappointing results when playing at higher higher volumes.

At this point am ready to upgrade my rig, but Im not sure which way is the best and lightest way to go that yields the most options for my situation.

I have a 3 space gator rack unit which houses the AXE and I have one slot open. and was thinking about adding a matrix power amp. Problem is that I don’t always have a separate guitar speaker cab available depending on the venue. I could end up with a tube amp, solid state, combo, or an amp with no effects loop, etc.

My questions are:

1.) Do (matrix power amps), power Monitor Speakers or just guitar cabinets? ("Speakon cables"?) I sometimes have a wedge provided but its usually not powered.

2.) I would love to go direct to the mixing desk, but does that mean I loose the option of using Output 2 as a separate volume for onstage monitoring if I don't have a powered monitor available?
(powered monitors are rarely supplied and simply too heavy for airline travel, otherwise I’d love to go this route as it seems to make the most sense.)

3.) When using a power amp like the Matrix, will I always bypass the fractals Cab sims, or does using a power amp enhance the tone when going direct?

Thanks, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post. Hope it is clear I'm still new at this.

If you're stuck with using a house amp of unknown quality and can't reliably cart around a powered PA speaker, here are the options I would attempt in order of preference.

1. Dial in your presets with cab and power amp sims on and go DI to FOH via Output 1. Use Output 2 to route to a wireless transmitter and a good quality IEM. Leave one ear out to hear the stage mix and one ear in for your guitar. It's a little cludgey at first but you'll get used to it. I do it all the time and payed an entire summer season like this with no problems.

2. Resign to using your AXE FX as an effects processor only and run it in to the front of whatever amp you get. In my experience, with a little tweaking, the Axe FX can make just about any amp sound better. You may have to spend a few hours dialing in your sounds but since you're stationary for so long, it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you're stuck with using a house amp of unknown quality and can't reliably cart around a powered PA speaker, here are the options I would attempt in order of preference.

1. Dial in your presets with cab and power amp sims on and go DI to FOH via Output 1. Use Output 2 to route to a wireless transmitter and a good quality IEM. Leave one ear out to hear the stage mix and one ear in for your guitar. It's a little cludgey at first but you'll get used to it. I do it all the time and payed an entire summer season like this with no problems.

2. Resign to using your AXE FX as an effects processor only and run it in to the front of whatever amp you get. In my experience, with a little tweaking, the Axe FX can make just about any amp sound better. You may have to spend a few hours dialing in your sounds but since you're stationary for so long, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Cool thanks for the advice. Still haven't gone the IEM route yet, but will start looking into it.. Any experience using Power amp units? Just wondering if I bought something like a matrix power amp nit, if it would be able to power a monitor wedge thru a speakeon cable, or if it just powers a guitar cabs? This way i can run output 2 to a wedge using the axe cab sims.

Yes, I use the Matrix in to a 2x12 alnico blue cab as my "analog" rig. The Matrix works equally well going in to a horn loaded cab like a stage wedge or a guitar cabinet. You'll most likely turn on the cab sims going in to the stage wedge and turn them off in to a guitar cab. Also, your presets likely won't translate between wedge and cab without some tweaking. The Matrix integrates very well with the AXE FX.

Ok awesome that may be the way for me to go as I'm not that into IEM at the moment and I would like to use the axe fx cab sims. Does anyone know if matrix power amps work with both 120-220 voltage?

Does anyone know if matrix power amps work with both 120-220 voltage?
Lots of people know. :)

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. But the manual on the Matrix web site knows.

The preceding was a custom made, hand-crafted version of Let Me Google that For You. (Sorry...it's been a long week...). :)

Lots of people know. :)

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. But the manual on the Matrix web site knows.

The preceding was a custom made, hand-crafted version of Let Me Google that For You. (Sorry...it's been a long week...). :)

Guess I'll keep searching. I realize some of my questions may seem simple, but there not always so easily found. And it does help to get some confirmation for some of this stuff, as the gear is expensive and not easily found in typical music shops for testing or questioning. I turned to this forum when I hit a wall with my own research of get frustrated. I appreciate the help and suggestions for live use. Thanks!

Guess I'll keep searching. I realize some of my questions may seem simple, but there not always so easily found.
I came back from my shower, saw your post, and took pity on your plight.

I googled "Matrix 1500 manual." Clicked on the first hit. Flipped to the last pages of the manual, where specs and general information usually are. I came upon page 15, titled "International Voltage Selection," where it says:
The Matrix Manual said:
...it is possible with most models to select alternative region voltages internally via
an on-board switch.

This allows for selection of 230v or 110v modes respectively at +/- 15%.

Please consider, my brother: It took me less than three minutes to find this out. It would have taken you the same amount of time, and you would have saved a bunch of typing and at least two hours of time waiting around for the answer.

Last edited:
Thanks dude, I eventually found a pic of the backside of one and seen the voltage spec. Appreciate it. New to the forum and still scratching the surface of the axe.

Touring oversea in Asia and Middle east and I never know what the venue will provide. Weight is an issue. I can spend anywhere from 4 months to a year at a particular venue.

So Far I have been using my axe FxII XL Live On stage, using the (FX loop send block) bypassing the speaker cab block, through output 2, to the effects loop of a Randall Solid-state 100w KH head, which powers a Randall KH 4X12 cabinet. Out put 1 goes directly into the mixing desk to (FOH) using the axe’s modeled speaker. The results have been a bit disappointing especially when performing at gig volume and I feel like I can tweak forever and never be satisfied. I feel like I have similar tone issues as I had when i used cheaper modelers. I love my Axe Fx and do realize I’m plugging a dollar into a dime, but at this point it is what I have available. Maybe I'm missing something

Ultimately I wish to utilize the full capabilities of the Axe FX, (Amp and Cab modelers) as I had amazing results at home with some KRK 5” monitors. But when I’m forced to use a guitar amp for monitoring, even a nice quality amp, I seem too get disappointing results when playing at higher higher volumes.

At this point am ready to upgrade my rig, but Im not sure which way is the best and lightest way to go that yields the most options for my situation.

I have a 3 space gator rack unit which houses the AXE and I have one slot open. and was thinking about adding a matrix power amp. Problem is that I don’t always have a separate guitar speaker cab available depending on the venue. I could end up with a tube amp, solid state, combo, or an amp with no effects loop, etc.

My questions are:

1.) Do (matrix power amps), power Monitor Speakers or just guitar cabinets? ("Speakon cables"?) I sometimes have a wedge provided but its usually not powered.

2.) I would love to go direct to the mixing desk, but does that mean I loose the option of using Output 2 as a separate volume for onstage monitoring if I don't have a powered monitor available?
(powered monitors are rarely supplied and simply too heavy for airline travel, otherwise I’d love to go this route as it seems to make the most sense.)

3.) When using a power amp like the Matrix, will I always bypass the fractals Cab sims, or does using a power amp enhance the tone when going direct?

Thanks, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post. Hope it is clear I'm still new at this.
it powers anything,ive been leaving cab sims on

at my last gig I played my AxeFX & Matrix amp on fantastic rental monitor wedges - Amadeus PMX12. Speakon cables here we go ! Great sounding experience.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the feed back. I'm thinking that's probably the best way to go for me, and get the most use of the axe fx2's full capability amps and speaker sims. Did some tweaking the other day that helped. Still scratching the surface of this thing lol.

Awesome thanks for the feed back. I'm thinking that's probably the best way to go for me, and get the most use of the axe fx2's full capability amps and speaker sims. Did some tweaking the other day that helped. Still scratching the surface of this thing lol.

Back
Top Bottom