AFIII Need help with high gain sweep tone

Mita

I am able to get some nice chunky and percussive note definition from the "in the room guitar cab" sound while sweep picking with a lot of gain. However, as soon as I listen to the recorded direct signal (IR instead of room camera mic), it all goes to hell. The percussive note definition turns to a weak trebly mess and my mistakes are 10x more audible haha (probably part of the problem). I am attaching a video of the camera mic where note separation and volume levels are consistent. This same take sounds horrible with any patch I try to build. Has anyone else run into this problem, and do you have any suggestions besides playing better (which I plan on also doing!)?

I don’t think your level of playing is the problem (to put it mildly 😀).
One question, when you play “cab in the room” do you play at a high volume, or at “bedroom level”?

haha thanks. When I cheat and get the impossible perfect studio take (by punching in infinite times), it improves somewhat, so can always play better.

I play at both bedroom and high volume levels since I have a sound proof space for that. Best note definition is when the cab is pointed in a different direction from my ear, the farther the better (the cab is in another room with the door cracked open in this video). Volume does not appear to impact it too much. Close micking or IRs destroy the note definition, at least when I do it.

haha thanks. When I cheat and get the impossible perfect studio take (by punching in infinite times), it improves somewhat, so can always play better.

I play at both bedroom and high volume levels since I have a sound proof space for that. Best note definition is when the cab is pointed in a different direction from my ear, the farther the better (the cab is in another room with the door cracked open in this video). Volume does not appear to impact it too much. Close micking or IRs destroy the note definition, at least when I do it.

Okay, then my guess is that the physical room plays an important part, and by that I mean the reflections that have an impact on the sound behaviour, especially when the cab is pointing awy from you. I you were to put your ear close to the speaker (which I absolutely don't recommand) chances are that chunk and definition are also gone. Therefore I would experiment with the Cab block, avoid the close miked IR's and play around with mic distance in the Cab block. The studio variations in the Reverb block could also become your best friend.

Hey there,

You got the sweep technique covered, that is obvious. Nicely synced phrasing.

Im thinking about string action? If its to low and it buzzes anywhere, the note will slightly buzz and on your speedlevel the notes together won't sound clear throughout.

Cheers 🍻

The camera might be compressing the audio. Perhaps try adding a compressor to your signal chain after the cab block.

Okay, then my guess is that the physical room plays an important part, and by that I mean the reflections that have an impact on the sound behaviour, especially when the cab is pointing awy from you. I you were to put your ear close to the speaker (which I absolutely don't recommand) chances are that chunk and definition are also gone. Therefore I would experiment with the Cab block, avoid the close miked IR's and play around with mic distance in the Cab block. The studio variations in the Reverb block could also become your best friend.
Yes, it does sound terrible when I get close to the speaker, either with my ears (safely!) or with a microphone. Going to try some room IRs like you say, then pour reverb all over it.
Hey there,

You got the sweep technique covered, that is obvious. Nicely synced phrasing.

Im thinking about string action? If its to low and it buzzes anywhere, the note will slightly buzz and on your speedlevel the notes together won't sound clear throughout.

Cheers 🍻
The action is ok on this guitar. There is no fret buzz, even when digging into the strings for some rhythm chugs. The sweeping sounds most defined and articulate when I play without an amp, which is pretty annoying heh. I hear what you are describing when I play without an amp on a buzzy guitar, which I never tried recording. I will try it though to see how it impacts the tone.

The camera might be compressing the audio. Perhaps try adding a compressor to your signal chain after the cab block.
I agree. I think it is compressing the audio quite a bit vs close mic/IR. So far I only tried an EQ there and noticed that if I put an ugly megaphone type mid bump, the definition comes back but makes the guitar sound ugly. I will try compression too. Thanks!

This means you like "far-field, off-axis" sound. Look around and you should be able to find some far-field IRs. That should give you what you want.

Back
Top Bottom