Need help recreating this tone

Vatta

Hi,

I'm looking to achieve a lead tone similar to the one Owane uses. Here is a clip, the tone I'm talking about starts at about 0:29 into the video.

It's got that single coil sort of twang but also that singing bridge pickup sort of thing going on. Right now I'm using the Suhr Badger 18 model with a 3-knob tube drive in front and it sounds sort of similar but there is definitely something missing. Does anyone have any suggestions on drive/amp combos that would get me in the ballpark of this sound?

Maybe the Carol Ann Triptik or OD2 with the Carol Ann cab with the Scholz speaker (Triptik factory cab or OBOT cab pack) killer IR's for that speaker.
Or maybe try the Komet 60 with a G12-65 or EV 12L cab.
Instead of a drive you maybe want to try a Filter block in front of the Amp as a Clean Boost & you can use a Low Cut on it if needed. Use the output level of the Filter block as the Boost to boost the signal about +5 to +8 dB or so then if you want to add a drive after that for a little more to add some flavor you can. I've been using the FET Boost a lot lately & FET Preamp for more gain ( a little goes a long way with this). But add whatever ya like. Try with the Filter on & with it off etc..

Awesome work man! thanks.

Oh that wasn’t me. I wish I could play a quarter that well lol. I have the first few notes of Paper Moon down though! Haha.

That guy posted a link to his AFX patch in the comments. Might be of help to some folks.

first i've heard of this guy. really tremendous stuff. he's an axe user, so why not send him a message and see if he'll give you some tips for this sound? and while you're at it, ask him to stop by and say hello!

I've been obsessed with Owane the past few months. If I ever dial in his tone I'll let you know. He plays with a Fender now and uses the neck pickup. He can still get a whole lot of bite out of the notes though, so I bet there is a tube screamer in the chain.

Try the "Prince Tone" (Fender Princeton Reverb). Deluxe 'Verb might get you close too.

Love his playing. Reminds me of Linder Bros:

Back
Top Bottom