Need help FM9 Turbo MKii change preset by itself

bhadrakalpa

I recently purchased an FM9 Turbo MK2, which was delivered to me yesterday. However, I've encountered an issue where the FM9 spontaneously changes presets while I am actively using it.

I initially attempted to troubleshoot the problem by disconnecting the device from its USB cable via my PC, but unfortunately, the issue persisted. Subsequently, I performed a factory reset, reinitialized both presets and IRs, and restored the original presets from your website. Despite these efforts, the problem persists, and I find myself at a loss for further solutions.

Could you please provide assistance or guidance on how to resolve this issue? Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

please spin the B knob under the screen to go into the ZOOM mode of the Home screen. The text should get bigger.

play while in this view and tell me if the Presets still change. this will be shown by the text on the screen changing to the next Preset Number, and it looking more "greyed out". in this special Zoom mode, presets dont automatically change if the Value wheel is moved, but "queue" up requiring you to press Enter.

so as you use the device, look at the main screen to see if it's visually changing presets still.

i think your Value Wheel may be the source of this automatic preset changing, and this test will confirm it.

in the standard "non zoomed" view, presets change automatically when the Value knob is turned. in the Zoom view (where the text is bigger and Scenes are listed side by side), Presets do not change, as i described above.

please try this out and let me know. this can confirm if it's a hardware issue or something else.

please spin the B knob under the screen to go into the ZOOM mode of the Home screen. The text should get bigger.

play while in this view and tell me if the Presets still change. this will be shown by the text on the screen changing to the next Preset Number, and it looking more "greyed out". in this special Zoom mode, presets dont automatically change if the Value wheel is moved, but "queue" up requiring you to press Enter.

so as you use the device, look at the main screen to see if it's visually changing presets still.

i think your Value Wheel may be the source of this automatic preset changing, and this test will confirm it.

in the standard "non zoomed" view, presets change automatically when the Value knob is turned. in the Zoom view (where the text is bigger and Scenes are listed side by side), Presets do not change, as i described above.

please try this out and let me know. this can confirm if it's a hardware issue or something else.
I just did the test you mentioned, and that's indeed what's happening. The preset goes into the queue, and the text becomes greyed out.

I just did the test you mentioned, and that's indeed what's happening. The preset goes into the queue, and the text becomes greyed out.
ok i believe that confirms the Value wheel is sending false inputs.

try just spinning the value wheel, power on or off. maybe it just needs to be loosened up a bit or something. give it a good spin for 10 seconds or so one way then the other. also push it down/in a few times, i think it has that function on the FM9.

if this doesn't improve, you may need to contact support.fractalaudio.com. this is a user discussion forum, not official support.

ok i believe that confirms the Value wheel is sending false inputs.

try just spinning the value wheel, power on or off. maybe it just needs to be loosened up a bit or something. give it a good spin for 10 seconds or so one way then the other. also push it down/in a few times, i think it has that function on the FM9.

if this doesn't improve, you may need to contact support.fractalaudio.com. this is a user discussion forum, not official support.
I believe you've pinpointed the issue accurately. The knob appears to be faulty, operating sporadically and often not functioning at all.

I believe you've pinpointed the issue accurately. The knob appears to be faulty, operating sporadically and often not functioning at all.
darn sorry to hear. please contact support or your distributor. this seems to be a hardware issue.

It's brand new, and I received it yesterday from the United States to Canada. It's really disappointing and doesn't inspire confidence in this product.

darn sorry to hear. please contact support or your distributor. this seems to be a hardware issue.
It's brand new, and I received it yesterday from the United States to Canada. It's really disappointing and doesn't inspire confidence in this product.

sure. any gear can have hardware problems, though this is not typical for Fractal. i've been using fractal products since 2008 and have never personally had a problem with many devices.

support will help you from here. https://support.fractalaudio.com/en-US

Fractal has a long history of outstanding support and quality.

As Chris said, things can happen to any type of hardware.

Support will get things handled for you.
"They stopped replying to me since 4:00 PM; I presume they don't work on weekends. I'll take this opportunity to practice detachment and inner peace !

keep the Main display in the "Zoom" mode we talked about for the test. at least you can play it and it won't actually change presets by itself.

fractal will get this sorted out for you.
The funniest part of this story is that I chose the FM9 over the Quad Cortex because the product seemed more robust and reliable. In the end, maybe I should have chosen an AXE FX 3.

Thank you all for your help. The community seems strong and reliable, which gives me confidence despite everything.

The funniest part of this story is that I chose the FM9 over the Quad Cortex because the product seemed more robust and reliable. In the end, maybe I should have chosen an AXE FX 3.

Thank you all for your help. The community seems strong and reliable, which gives me confidence despite everything.
You chose wisely, and sorry to hear of the malfunctioning part!

After driving a 1999 Toyota Tacoma for 18 years with great results, in 2018 I ordered a Toyota Tacoma from the factory exacatly how I wanted it. It was my dream truck. I figured it would last me as the last one did. It turned out to be a piece of junk, problem after problem. After nearly three years of headache and runaround from the dealership, I took Toyota to arbitration under the lemon law and won. Short of a milage decution, they had to refund all my money.. I bought another Toyota (used) and it has been perfect. Stuff happens, Fractal will take care of you.

Back
Top Bottom