Need Help Deciding On Guitar. Overwhelming GAS!

So for the past 2 weeks or so, I have spent every waking non-working hour trying to decide on my next guitar. Every day I seem to change my mind, and can't pull the trigger on anything. Anyone ever get this?

I currently own an EBMM Majesty and love it, but I am looking for something a little different to add to the collection.

Here is what I am interested in:

Suhr Modern TERRA: https://www.suhr.com/instruments/modern-terra/
These are a new line, so there are absolutely ZERO reviews, videos, etc on them anywhere. I also cannot find one anywhere to try out.

PRS Custom 24 (with the 24-08 pickup settings)
I have owned one in the past. I loved the first, but sold it many years ago on hard times. So I know what to expect, which is good and bad (great guitar, but wouldn't be too exciting)

Ibanez MM-1 (Martin Miller Signature)
This one is about 2 grand cheaper than the PRS, and around $700 cheaper than the Suhr. I also can't find one to try out, but it sounds good (yet pretty dark) from online videos. Anyone ever play one of these?

I know it dumb to ask, "which is best" as it is subjective. But if anyone could provide me with any experiences with these guitars, it would be very helpful.

Today, I am leaning toward the Suhr. I just love the blue TERRA one, and I hear great things about the brand. Tomorrow, who knows though.

Thanks!

You know that you have already discarded the PRS ;)

The Suhr is basswood with maple top, and the Ibanez Mahogany. The best sounding guitar (even unplugged) I've ever had is a basswood RG550LTD. The guitars that have given me more nightmares with dead notes (Suhr Modern, Ibz J-Custom, Ibz Prestige...) were all mahogany. So, I would go for the Suhr, but not because of the brand but because of the wood.

Of course, that could change because it is not 100% the type of wood, and bla bla. There are great mahogany guitars. You have to play them. I would take that decision if I didn't had the opportunity to try them first, based on my previous experience

You know that you have already discarded the PRS ;)

The Suhr is basswood with maple top, and the Ibanez Mahogany. The best sounding guitar (even unplugged) I've ever had is a basswood RG550LTD. The guitars that have given me more nightmares with dead notes (Suhr Modern, Ibz J-Custom, Ibz Prestige...) were all mahogany. So, I would go for the Suhr, but not because of the brand but because of the wood
Thank you for the input. This is something I never would have known or thought about, so it's really good info

The Suhr definitely has a pretty comfortable lead right now on the others, with the PRS in second

If you're favoring the Suhr, get it.

About the dead note issue: I think the phenomenon is not purely wood species. I have a lot of mahogany guitars (PRS Cu24, Ibanez Prestige/J-Custom RG and S, Gibson Les Pauls) that do not have dead notes. My Suhr has a deadish note that is annoying but I love it too much to let it go.

I really want to try an Ibanez AZ model though. :)

You need to try them really. I don't know if it is an issue for you but the Suhr Floyd option is a Korean OEM version not the Schaller but also better than the Charvel one. I didn't find the Ibanez MM dark, a little immediate and not quite as balanced as the regular alder one. Nice guitar though.

The PRS is going to be the one that is most unlike your JP because of the scale length differences. If you can't buy in person then make sure your retailer of choice has a good return policy. You just never know about a guitar until you actually play it. It could be made perfectly and still be not what you're looking for.

So for the past 2 weeks or so, I have spent every waking non-working hour trying to decide on my next guitar. Every day I seem to change my mind, and can't pull the trigger on anything. Anyone ever get this?

I currently own an EBMM Majesty and love it, but I am looking for something a little different to add to the collection.

Here is what I am interested in:

Suhr Modern TERRA: https://www.suhr.com/instruments/modern-terra/
These are a new line, so there are absolutely ZERO reviews, videos, etc on them anywhere. I also cannot find one anywhere to try out.

PRS Custom 24 (with the 24-08 pickup settings)
I have owned one in the past. I loved the first, but sold it many years ago on hard times. So I know what to expect, which is good and bad (great guitar, but wouldn't be too exciting)

Ibanez MM-1 (Martin Miller Signature)
This one is about 2 grand cheaper than the PRS, and around $700 cheaper than the Suhr. I also can't find one to try out, but it sounds good (yet pretty dark) from online videos. Anyone ever play one of these?

I know it dumb to ask, "which is best" as it is subjective. But if anyone could provide me with any experiences with these guitars, it would be very helpful.

Today, I am leaning toward the Suhr. I just love the blue TERRA one, and I hear great things about the brand. Tomorrow, who knows though.

Thanks!
Your first sentence is me to a tee.

If you're favoring the Suhr, get it.

About the dead note issue: I think the phenomenon is not purely wood species. I have a lot of mahogany guitars (PRS Cu24, Ibanez Prestige/J-Custom RG and S, Gibson Les Pauls) that do not have dead notes. My Suhr has a deadish note that is annoying but I love it too much to let it go.

I really want to try an Ibanez AZ model though. :)
Just out of curiosity, where would you rank your Suhr among the guitars you own? And yeah I would love to try an AZ too, as I was considering one of those instead of the MM1 to save a bit of money

If you cant decide, dont buy anything right now.
Yeah I am deifnitely going to keep researching. I am gun shy at the moment so I'm not worried about making a quick decision. I just feel overwhelmed as every day I see something else I might want

You need to try them really. I don't know if it is an issue for you but the Suhr Floyd option is a Korean OEM version not the Schaller but also better than the Charvel one. I didn't find the Ibanez MM dark, a little immediate and not quite as balanced as the regular alder one. Nice guitar though.
My problem now is that I strongly doubt I'll able to play these in person. There are no stores around me that have the Suhr Modern Terra. And the PRS I would want is very specific so I won't find that locally. I may be able to find a Martin Miller sig to try though

Thanks for the info on the Suhr. For the Terra I want, I would get the Gotoh brige and not the floyd option. For the MM1, that's good to hear. In one video comparison I saw, it was much darker than the other guitars in the video, but that may have just been the fault of the person doing the demo

The PRS is going to be the one that is most unlike your JP because of the scale length differences. If you can't buy in person then make sure your retailer of choice has a good return policy. You just never know about a guitar until you actually play it. It could be made perfectly and still be not what you're looking for.
Yes absolutey, good call. I loved the Custom 24 I used to have (sold it on hard times), but I have played others that never quite felt the same. So the good return policy is an absolute must, especially something that exensive

Your first sentence is me to a tee.
I am happy to hear it isn't just me! some nights I seriously feel like I am getting psychosis from the slog of researching guitar after guitar, video demo after demo. It can be fun, but it can also be quite an obsessive feeling

The PRS is going to be the one that is most unlike your JP because of the scale length differences.
The difference in tension of say, a 10 for the high e string, is only 5% between a 25.5" and a 25" scale guitar. That's not much. There's actually about an 8% difference in tension between the G & B strings, on a 25.5" scale guitar using D'addario EXL110's, which is slightly more difference between adjacent strings than what you'd have between those 2 guitars.
I have a PRS CU24, and the biggest difference between it and my Majesty is ergonomics for me. The high fret access is much better, and the control placement and body contour are much better from a playability standpoint. I don't notice the scale length difference at all. YMMV

I own a Suhr Modern and have played some Ibanez AZ Prestiges at stores... in my opinion they're not even close. The Suhr has a far superior play feel, and the fit and finish is definitely far above that of any Ibanez I've played, even my J.Custom RG. I have no opinion on the PRS, I've never played PRS guitars.

I own a Suhr Modern and have played some Ibanez AZ Prestiges at stores... in my opinion they're not even close. The Suhr has a far superior play feel, and the fit and finish is definitely far above that of any Ibanez I've played, even my J.Custom RG. I have no opinion on the PRS, I've never played PRS guitars.

Thanks for this info, this is super helpful. I've been leaning toward the Suhr, and hearing things like this help to reassure me of its quality.

I am watching a J Custom on Reverb as well, so that has entered the mix. But it's good to know the Suhr trumps even that.

Leaving aside the dead notes at the Suhr, my 27 years old Ibanez RG550LTD has nothing to envy from my Suhr Modern Satin in terms of playability, resonance, feel, fret finish...

Suhr & RG550LTD.jpg

I also owned a Prestige S5470Q-RB, a J-Custom RG8550MZ and a JEM7VWH that were as good as the Suhr in all aspects. But the first two also had dead notes, so I got rid of them. And I got rid of the JEM because it had no added value over the RG550LTD

Now I am considering selling the Suhr to buy this second hand J-Custom RG8570Z (after a thoroughly search of dead notes, of course) 😅
RG8570Z.jpg

About the Suhr Modern Terra, I would love a Floyd Rose HSH. Unfortunately, the FR version is HH

Last edited:
Leaving aside the dead notes at the Suhr, my 27 years old Ibanez RG550LTD has nothing to envy from my Suhr Modern Satin in terms of playability, resonance, feel, fret finish...

View attachment 88037

I also owned a Prestige S5470Q-RB, a J-Custom RG8550MZ and a JEM7VWH that were as good as the Suhr in all aspects. But the first two also had dead notes, so I got rid of them. And I got rid of the JEM because it had no added value over the RG550LTD

Now I am considering selling the Suhr to buy this second hand J-Custom RG8570Z (after a thoroughly search of dead notes, of course) 😅
View attachment 88038

About the Suhr Modern Terra, I would love a Floyd Rose HSH. Unfortunately, the FR version is HH

Nice collection! And interesting to hear about the Suhr/Ibanez'. I am so used to hearing people say they always go for the Suhr when deciding which of their 5 guitars to play haha

Let me ask you this since you seem to be an Ibanez guy - Have you ever played a JPM100? I have heard a lot of good things and have always wanted to play one. But from what I understand they are damn near impossible to find anymore (maybe that's incorrect info though?)

Oh and get that J Custom! Looks great. (Big fan of purple guits)

Nice collection! And interesting to hear about the Suhr/Ibanez'. I am so used to hearing people say they always go for the Suhr when deciding which of their 5 guitars to play haha

Let me ask you this since you seem to be an Ibanez guy - Have you ever played a JPM100? I have heard a lot of good things and have always wanted to play one. But from what I understand they are damn near impossible to find anymore (maybe that's incorrect info though?)

Oh and get that J Custom! Looks great. (Big fan of purple guits)

I've never played a JP guitar.

No doubt that Suhrs are excellent. Maybe the persistent preference for Suhr over Ibanez comes from these reasons:
1) Ibanez has a wide range of mass produced lower quality and medium quality guitars, while all Suhrs are expensive
2) These cheaper Ibanez must surely have lower QC than Suhr. All Suhrs have strict QC (although none of them verifies dead notes)
3) Most Yankees prefer Made in USA products

Last edited:
Get the Suhr.
I'm definitely leaning in that direction
View attachment 88041

My Suhr is quite nice... But I prefer the Charvel DK-24 more. Especially the USA Select, but even the MIM version competes.
Another great looking axe. People on this forum seem to have good taste 8)

A DK-24 wasn't on my radar (for lack of knowledge about it), but I will do some research on it. I have always been drawn to the Charvel Guthrie sig, but aside from that I don't know much about them

A DK-24 wasn't on my radar (for lack of knowledge about it), but I will do some research on it. I have always been drawn to the Charvel Guthrie sig, but aside from that I don't know much about them
The neck on them is amazing.

I bought an MIM version as a "cheap" guitar when I went to a guitar camp and didn't want to fly with a guitar.

It was quickly getting more play time than my other guitars. After a couple years I discovered the USA Select version which is as good as the Suhr for a high end guitar.

07C28F1B-8A53-4758-A3BA-8E07D5CD0E48.jpeg

The MIM is worth more than they cost, IMO...

Back
Top Bottom