Need help choosing an Ibanez guitar and maybe their Zero Point System

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I've never owned an Ibanez guitar, only a few of their basses. I've always liked thick neck guitars like Gibson, Epiphone and Dean. I have back problems, so I've been trying to find lighter guitars and I recently tried out a few Ibanez guitars and actually liked their light weight, thin necks, HSH pickup config, 5 way pickup selector and Zero Point System / Zero Resistance Trem. I didn't want to make an impulse buy and have been trying to find out more about their models and trying to find a model comparison but haven't been too successful and am a little confused.

I like these models, especially the ones that have a maple fret board: RG450, S570, S771.

Are their pickups any good or will I need to replace them?

I noticed there are 2 different Zero Point System / Zero Resistance Trems. One looks like a regular Floyd Rose and the other looks kind of like a Floyd Rose/Bigsby/Kahler but they both have the extra 2 springs with spring adjustment knob in the back.

Any info, opinions or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I had an S570 way back when and liked it but it didn't fit my hands very well. The stock pickups were meh, but I changed them out for Vai's Evolution pups and they screamed.

I find the Ibanez brand lack a bit in fit and finish tbh. You can get a used one for quite a good price though and then toy with it to your heart's content. Good luck.

I have a used S470 with the zero trem - I also came from the LP neck shape/modern C shape camp and was quite surprised how easy it was to adapt to the 'Wizard' neck of the Ibanez.

The only drawback is that my Ibanez's Zero trem is impossible to set up properly (as in the trem block rests on the backstop/pull up springs thingy and the bridge remains parallel to the body) unless I use 9-42 strings ....... I prefer to use 10-46's on all my other guitars. I guess I could just remove the back stop mechanism if I was bothered - but I tend to use my other guitars more than the Ibanez - so I've just left it with 9's.

It however has the lowest action I've ever been able to set up on any guitar ..... in fact I had to raise the bridge a little as it was too low (but no buzzes).

The stock pups on the 470 are meh - the 570 would have better I'm sure.

That's all my Ibanez knowledge exhausted :)

Buy a used S-series from 89-94 or so... Made in Japan and the IBZ-branded pickups are made by DiMarzio... Can be had for under $450 all day long on eBay.

I have a ton of 87/88, but I prefer HSS and mini-toggle switches.

The older ones have Ibanez Edge (Floyd-licensed, super high quality) not the ZR trem which is fairly new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a s5470 and i really like it but i did notice that they are not putting the ZR bridge in them anymore. There is a few people on the interwebs saying that they have sustain issues. I don't notice that with my guitar but its worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom