Need Help Adjusting Axe II Output Between Guitar and DAW Output Via Axe II

Warrior

Power User
I'm sure the title must be confusing. Not quite sure how to word this.

Routing:
I am going from Axe II to my Macbook Pro via USB.
Monitors are connected to Axe II Output 1.

Track 1 - Stereo Input Axe 1/2

Here's the problem....

I can hear and control the output of my guitar as standalone/seperate from my DAW. When I turn up the "Level" of "Output 1" on the front of the Axe to hear the output from the DAW the guitar is very loud.

How do I route the signal so I am only hearing my guitar through the track output and not also as standalone so I can control the mix when recording or using my DAW?

Mute the "monitor" playback on the channel you don't want to hear. It's in the channel strip on Reaper (both on the mixer and in the channel). You can tell it what you want to hear and not hear.

Scott,
I think what I'm looking for is to be able to mute the Axe output itself and only hear it coming through in the mix via the DAW.

Errr.... or maybe that's what you said. I'll try it when I get home.

Thanks!

Scott,
I think what I'm looking for is to be able to mute the Axe output itself and only hear it coming through in the mix via the DAW.

Errr.... or maybe that's what you said. I'll try it when I get home.

Thanks!

You can do that too - though you'll have latency to deal with. I listen to hardware output with playback to my Axe-FX when I cut tracks.

But you can do that with Reaper the same way as the way I noted above. The way you monitor (or don't) is just the choice you make.

Going by the manual's signal flow chart I think you'd need to do this: Set USB/DIGI Out Source to "Output 2" then route guitar to the FXL block instead of output block (end of grid).

You can do that too - though you'll have latency to deal with. I listen to hardware output with playback to my Axe-FX when I cut tracks.

But you can do that with Reaper the same way as the way I noted above. The way you monitor (or don't) is just the choice you make.

Right, you usually can get the latency pretty low on a modern system. An advantage of monitoring through the daw is you can hear any vst plugins you add to the track.

Right, you usually can get the latency pretty low on a modern system. An advantage of monitoring through the daw is you can hear any vst plugins you add to the track.
Java I've only been able to get my latency as low as about 20milliseconds. I've got a quadcore processor with 4gb of ram too. Any thoughts?

Java I've only been able to get my latency as low as about 20milliseconds. I've got a quadcore processor with 4gb of ram too. Any thoughts?

My streaming buffer size is set to 2 ms
ASIO buffer size is set to 2.2 ms
I don't get any clicks or pops at that setting.

I'm getting ~8ms latency. It seems.
Ceentrance reports 2.21ms
With in Live 8 it is showing 8.42 ms latency.

I have a similar problem
cartoons6.jpg
cartoons7.jpg
cartoons8.jpg

My streaming buffer size is set to 2 ms
ASIO buffer size is set to 2.2 ms
I don't get any clicks or pops at that setting.

I'm getting ~8ms latency. It seems.
Ceentrance reports 2.21ms
With in Live 8 it is showing 8.42 ms latency.

You're setting this within the Axe II preferences, correct? When I access the control panel for the AXE II it doesn't seem to let me hit the 2.2 ms mark. Perhaps my computer is too slow...?

You're setting this within the Axe II preferences, correct? When I access the control panel for the AXE II it doesn't seem to let me hit the 2.2 ms mark. Perhaps my computer is too slow...?

I doesn't know how fast your computer is. Are you setting the streaming buffer size first?

I doesn't know how fast your computer is. Are you setting the streaming buffer size first?

Yes. When I access the Axe II's control panel through Cubase 5, and attempt to change the streaming buffer it tells me: 'The request action could not be performed because ASIO is currently in use. Please close the requested program and try again.'

-- Axe-edit is not open when I attempt to change this attribute.
-- I've got the latest firmware
-- I've tried restarting Cubase
-- I've tried changing the streaming buffer via axe edit first, then open Cubase, but it doesn't save the change I made from Axe edit.

Hmm. Any thoughts?

Thanks Sean

Yes. When I access the Axe II's control panel through Cubase 5, and attempt to change the streaming buffer it tells me: 'The request action could not be performed because ASIO is currently in use. Please close the requested program and try again.'

-- Axe-edit is not open when I attempt to change this attribute.
-- I've got the latest firmware
-- I've tried restarting Cubase
-- I've tried changing the streaming buffer via axe edit first, then open Cubase, but it doesn't save the change I made from Axe edit.

Hmm. Any thoughts?

Thanks Sean

Do not do it with cubase open. It should show in the bottom right of the task bar if you are using Windows. Try setting it there.

Yeah, I've always had mixed result when trying to set the latency from with on the DAW. I've taken to always do it outside the DAW when possible.

Back
Top Bottom