Nearby radio station comes in through guitar cable port

RifferMcDuck

Inspired
This might not be AFXIII related, but when plugging my guitar into it for some headphone play just now, I can pick up a surprisingly clear local radio station when my cable is touching the nuts of the guitar's cable port. This has never happened in all my guitar playing years, and a quick google says it might be faulty shielding of the guitar cable itself, but I figured I'd check with you guys. I'm using a Mogami cable, which was a replacement for a previous faulty Mogami cable.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it common/normal?

Plug the cable all the way in. Otherwise you've created a guitar-shaped antenna.

I had a shit DI box in front my Axe FX that I ran into my Apollo Twin for my DI source since I SPDIF from Axe to Apollo. It was a cheap piece of crap that wasn't shielded very well, so I got a new one. I still have to lift the ground on my new DI box, but I don't pick up AM radio anymore. If you're just plugging into the Axe FX straight from the guitar, yeah cable or pickups will do it too.

I had a shit DI box in front my Axe FX that I ran into my Apollo Twin for my DI source since I SPDIF from Axe to Apollo. It was a cheap piece of crap that wasn't shielded very well, so I got a new one. I still have to lift the ground on my new DI box, but I don't pick up AM radio anymore. If you're just plugging into the Axe FX straight from the guitar, yeah cable or pickups will do it too.

I think it's hilarious, to be honest. First time for everything, I suppose.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it common/normal?

Sadly I am all too familiar with the problem (albeit for an old Marshall amp rather than my Axe FX), and the solution in my case was not cheap.

So I have an old Marshall amp that I used a LOT before I got my first Axe-FX. In my old house, my Marshall picked up local radio signals and annoyingly they came through a lot louder than my guitar - this made it impossible to play unless there was no one on the air. I tried everything I could think of, from replacing/shielding/rewiring (house & amp) etc but nothing worked for me. I even contacted the radio authority at the time to get advice which didn't go anywhere. Note I used cables for everything, no wireless.

Ultimately the fix in the end for me was getting an Axe-FX II - although this was for other reasons but it did solve my radio issue. And since then, we moved house so I have tested my amp and it is fine in my new place.

Sorry I haven't really given you anything to go by, other than it is not unusual. The problem could also be with the way the venue is wired up as well, or maybe it is positioned in a way that it is sensitive to that signal.

With my old pedalboard I used to pick up radio stations from time to time. In college I was able to consistently pick up the college station, which conveniently I was station manager of, and could pick songs that I’d later hear through my board. But usually I just had to dial the gain back, or physically turn my pedalboard a bit. Once I fixed some cables that went bad it went away mostly. And this was only about 6-7ish years ago.

Sadly I am all too familiar with the problem (albeit for an old Marshall amp rather than my Axe FX), and the solution in my case was not cheap.

So I have an old Marshall amp that I used a LOT before I got my first Axe-FX. In my old house, my Marshall picked up local radio signals and annoyingly they came through a lot louder than my guitar - this made it impossible to play unless there was no one on the air.

Same thing for me way back when. I got my first 'real' amp - a Marshall JCM800 and a 4x12 and was rocking out super loud in my bedroom and all of a sudden I was picking up CB radio and it scared the s**t out of me! My guitar signal disappeared and I had some guy yelling at me through my amp...I immediately shut it off and just stared at it. hahahaha (I had NO idea that could happen at the time - I was like 16).

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to the beginning of "flying in a blue dream" if I remember right.

Back
Top Bottom