Near-Disaster Averted in Time

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
11/20/22 - For the past couple weeks in the evening, I've smelled pinewood, as if someone were using a wood-burning set, or burning logs in a firepit. It had been bothering me somewhat because the smell of burnt wood would only occur in the evening.

I checked outdoors for neighbors with the firepit, but could not smell any wood smoke outdoors.

I thought it might have been a piece of plywood wedged behind my clothes dresser, off-gassing fumes. So, I moved the plywood into my storage area away from the bedroom.

Yet again this evening, there was the smell of burnt wood. I looked around my room to determine what might be the culprit, and realized that I had several cardboard guitar cartons jammed up atop my baseboard heating.

When I pulled the cartoons away from the baseboard, there was noticeable charring where the carton made contact with the baseboard. I then realized I'd just averted a potential crisis by removing fuel from a heat source which could have caught fire, and killed me while I slept.

I've since re-positioned the smaller cartons so that they don't contact the baseboard, and the larger folded cartons I've put away in storage.

Just a little wiser this evening regards storing flammable materials close to heat sources. That, and a re-positioning of an extension cable so that it did not contact the baseboard either. Am counting my blessings this evening.

Last edited:
For the past couple weeks in the evening, I've smelled pinewood, as if someone were using a wood-burning set, or burning logs in a firepit. It had been bothering me somewhat because the smell of burnt wood would only occur in the evening.

I checked outdoors for neighbors with the firepit, but could not smell any wood smoke outdoors.

I thought it might have been a piece of plywood wedged behind my clothes dresser, off-gassing fumes. So, I moved the plywood into my storage area away from the bedroom.

Yet again this evening, there was the smell of burnt wood. I looked around my room to determine what might be the culprit, and realized that I had several cardboard guitar cartons jammed up atop my baseboard heating.

When I pulled the cartoons away from the baseboard, there was noticeable charring where the carton made contact with the baseboard. I then realized I'd just averted a potential crisis by removing fuel from a heat source which could have caught fire, and killed me while I slept.

I've since re-positioned the smaller cartons so that they don't contact the baseboard, and the larger folded cartons I've put away in storage.

Just a little wiser this evening regards storing flammable materials close to heat sources. That, and a re-positioning of an extension cable so that it did not contact the baseboard either. Am counting my blessings this evening.
Glad you caught it Bob! That would have been a true disaster!! LEARNING!!!

For the past couple weeks in the evening, I've smelled pinewood, as if someone were using a wood-burning set, or burning logs in a firepit. It had been bothering me somewhat because the smell of burnt wood would only occur in the evening.

Whew.....close one! Glad you found it! :)

11/20/22 - For the past couple weeks in the evening, I've smelled pinewood, as if someone were using a wood-burning set, or burning logs in a firepit. It had been bothering me somewhat because the smell of burnt wood would only occur in the evening.

Holy cow man you are so very lucky. That could have ended badly. Add that to your list of how Lucy you are. If that ever happens again please call the fire department. They would have found that heater that would have caused a fire.
They carry a thermal imager on the truck and can find a fire in a wall or attic without doing anything but use that thermal imager. Those things are so sensitive that they show hand prints footprints or a hot spot they are an amazing tool.
Glad everything worked out good for you…

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving

Piling cardboard on a heat source is never a good idea... unless you put a jug of gasoline on top to hold it down! o_O

Good nose! When I started reading your post I was thinking "maybe he should see a doctor" (sometimes smelling things burning equates to a medical issue). Glad you found it, and thanks for posting as it prompted me to do a little cleanup in our basement.

Good nose! When I started reading your post I was thinking "maybe he should see a doctor" (sometimes smelling things burning equates to a medical issue). Glad you found it, and thanks for posting as it prompted me to do a little cleanup in our basement.
Holy cow man you are so very lucky. That could have ended badly. Add that to your list of how lucky you are. If that ever happens again please call the fire department. They would have found that heater that would have caused a fire.
They carry a thermal imager on the truck and can find a fire in a wall or attic without doing anything but use that thermal imager. Those things are so sensitive that they show hand prints footprints or a hot spot they are an amazing tool.
Glad everything worked out good for you…

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving
TBH, my health meds typically cause a stuffy nose and an occasional loss of smell. But this was a noticeable wood-burning smell...glad it inspired you to do some preventive cleaning yourself...

My younger brother is a volunteer fireman. Not sure if our local department has the thermal imager, but will verify with said brother tonight or tomorrow. Just fortunate to have been able to determine where the smell originated and was able to take care of it in time.

FTR, I've escaped severe injury/near-death 5 times in my life. Could almost add this to the record...

Glad you caught that!

That said, I'm surprised your baseboards are anywhere near hot enough to ignite anything. Do they burn you if you touch them? I'd expect them to dry out stuff leaning against them, but not actually light it on fire. I've never experienced that in any places I've lived.

I'm not doubting that this happened, but it's odd to me.

Any other interesting stories?
Yes, but I don't wish to bother you with too many details. The only one of note was surviving an electrical shock that imparted 3rd degree burns to my left arm, armpit, and torso. Also blew as couple pieces of flesh out of my left thumb pocket and index finger. The ER docs de-breeded my skin and several days later, grafted some flesh from my left thigh to my thumb pocket and index finger. Spent 2 months in the burn ward of the hospital. I'll spare you the remainder...

My younger brother says that their fire department has a thermal imager, but it would be used for detecting heat from fire in enclosed regions of your house. He wasn't sure that our local department has an imager or not.

Last edited:
Glad you caught that!

That said, I'm surprised your baseboards are anywhere near hot enough to ignite anything. Do they burn you if you touch them? I'd expect them to dry out stuff leaning against them, but not actually light it on fire. I've never experienced that in any places I've lived.

I'm not doubting that this happened, but it's odd to me.
The baseboards are electrically heated, and are hot to the touch. Contact with the baseboard caused discolored charring about 6 inches upwards randomly from the bottom of the cardboard. Not burnt to ash, just charred.

After my meeting this evening, I'm clearing my storage closet to accommodate most of the cartons and will put them in plastic construction bags so they don't contribute to any possible mold.

Last edited:
Yes, but I don't wish to bother you with too many details. The only one of note was surviving an electrical shock that imparted 3rd degree burns to my left arm, armpit, and torso. Also blew as couple pieces of flesh out of my left thumb pocket and index finger. The ER docs de-breeded my skin and several days later, grafted some flesh from my left thigh to my thumb pocket and index finger. Spent 2 months in the burn ward of the hospital. I'll spare you the remainder...

My younger brother says that their fire department has a thermal imager, but it would be used for detecting heat from fire in enclosed regions of your house. He wasn't sure that our local department has an imager or not.
I have used thermal imager’s extensively in structure fires and it has led to many rescues and lives saved. In the heat of a fully involved structure fire it allows you to actually see handprints on the wall or on the floor and the heat signature of a victim that may be unconscious anywhere in the structure which helps lead to the rescue of a victim.

It allows us to do our job in a much faster search when time is of the essence when you can’t see your hand in front of your face.

It is an amazing piece of equipment that most departments have. Even if they don’t have it having someone from outside come and look for the smell of something burning is always a good thing as another set of eyes Will help find something that you might be overlooking.

They’re always there to help.

I have used thermal imager’s extensively in structure fires and it has led to many rescues and lives saved. In the heat of a fully involved structure fire it allows you to actually see handprints on the wall or on the floor and the heat signature of a victim that may be unconscious anywhere in the structure which helps lead to the rescue of a victim.

It allows us to do our job in a much faster search when time is of the essence when you can’t see your hand in front of your face.

It is an amazing piece of equipment that most departments have. Even if they don’t have it having someone from outside come and look for the smell of something burning is always a good thing as another set of eyes Will help find something that you might be overlooking.

They’re always there to help.
Thanks, Fred,

I've since removed the cardboard cartons from the baseboard area, stashed them in a storage closet, and cleared out a space in my clothes closet for some guitar cases that were originally in the storage closet. Some cases are kept out of sight, others went back towards the baseboard area, only this time, they're not in contact with any heat source, and are about 8 inches away from the baseboard, leaning against the wall, guitar-rack style.

No guitars are stored in the baseboard-leaning cases, so they're safe from heat and cold. It took some forethought, but common sense prevailed.

Lucky, indeed. When cardboard ignites, it burns fast and hot.
Therein was my concern. I knew if I could smell smoke fumes, fire wasn't that far away. Am glad to not need the fire department this time. All flammables are safely tucked away. The reason I'd not thought anything about it two weeks prior was that I'd not needed the baseboard heat. Am happy this was not a case of that's "All She Wrote."

Therein was my concern. I knew if I could smell smoke fumes, fire wasn't that far away. Am glad to not need the fire department this time. All flammables are safely tucked away. The reason I'd not thought anything about it two weeks prior was that I'd not needed the baseboard heat. Am happy this was not a case of that's "All She Wrote."
Glad you found it before you had a real problem. Ok the firemen in me has to say I hope you have working smoke detectors.

Glad you found it before you had a real problem. Ok the firemen in me has to say I hope you have working smoke detectors.
Our apartments have working smoke detectors. One is located in the bedroom where the smoke smell originated. As was said, the cardboard charred slightly on the outer carton, discoloring the carton a small amount.

It was just enough to create the smell of smoke, though there were no visible wisps. The baseboard was likely under the combustion temperature required for flame. Whatever it was, it spooked me just enough for me to take corrective measures.

Yikes, close call. Stay safe my friend.

Late to this thread but, yes this ^^^^ This happened to me... medical problems do occur when you start smelling the unusual... I have the scars to prove it...

Glad its something that can be easily adverted @bleujazz3 , btw, "I worked in a cardboard box factory but it folded"
😂

Back
Top Bottom