Neal Schon FM9 Rig Tour

Wow.. first Guthrie Govan with the FM9, now Neil Schon. Great time for Fractal!!

Just curious; did Schon and Gibson bury the hatchet? Was a bit surprised to see LPs onstage during the soundcheck.

Wow.. first Guthrie Govan with the FM9, now Neil Schon. Great time for Fractal!!

Just curious; did Schon and Gibson bury the hatchet? Was a bit surprised to see LPs onstage during the soundcheck.
It is weird right? Neil seems to be playing everything - Gibson, PRS, Collings, Strats, Schon guitars everything! I guess he just is a ta point where he uses what he wants. He even uses a Kemper at home!

Can I use my Mission pedal I use for wah to control delay amount on a different preset or do I need another pedal ?
Yes. In that different preset just select which parameter of the delay you want to control, for example the mix, or level, and right click that parameter to assign the modifier to where you have the pedal (Pedal 1, 2, 3 etc). Now if you're controlling the mix, you'll want to set a max percent for the delay so it doesn't go 0 to 100%, maybe start at 0% min, 20% max and adjust to your taste.

Schon using the Quad Cortex.

Like Bruce said above, Neal plays everything when he's home--he's an explorer! He LOVES guitar and he LOVES gear.
It is weird right? Neil seems to be playing everything - Gibson, PRS, Collings, Strats, Schon guitars everything! I guess he just is a ta point where he uses what he wants. He even uses a Kemper at home!

What he chooses to put through the giant PA says it all, though! 🙂

I'm a moderately consistent fan of the band. I've seen them every time they are in or near Indy over the last 10 years. I noticed the FM9 earlier this year when they visited Indy. He was only playing Fender guitars which I had never seen before. The sound was not good at all, but this was likely due to the sound guys? I'm not sure if they bring their own or hire local, but it was not good. Started out a little shaky with TOTO and then was just not good the rest of the night. The video here sounds good. The concert was a bit disappointing and did not sound anywhere in the ballpark of this video.

Thanks for sharing this, Coop! I’ve been a longtime fan of Neal’s work back from the early Santana stuff through his many bands and, of course, Journey. I haven’t seen him live since the original couple of Journey album tours, but can say his live tone always matched the intensity of the records. That he can cover such a wide variety of tones on this rig says worlds about the quality and versatility of the FM9.

Very cool of you to share the insider info. We’re all envious of you! One question: The JM-1P is a fairly huge speaker for monitoring on stages we mere mortals inhabit. Can you recommend a more compact Meyer monitor with similar performance with Fractal gear? @Cooper Carter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom