Wish Naylor Super Drive SD 60

Joker

Inspired
This one's rather unique. I think Dave Friedman based the preamp section of his Naked model on the Naylor Superdrive.

Here are the schematics of the SD60, but I can't vouch for their validity:

sean03jpgsuperdrive601.jpg

sean04jpgsuperdrive60.jpg

What's unique about it. Looks rather vanilla.

What circuit would you say most closely approximates it? Is there really almost no originality to this circuit?

As AxeManDan already pointed out, my opinion was based on the soundclips I heard and on statements by famous studio guitarists. Your assessment is obviously much more factual than mine which makes this request for an SD 60 superfluous.

What circuit would you say most closely approximates it? Is there really almost no originality to this circuit?

As AxeManDan already pointed out, my opinion was based on the soundclips I heard and on statements by famous studio guitarists. Your assessment is obviously much more factual than mine which makes this request for an SD 60 superfluous.
Looks like your typical hot-rodded Marshall. Few different values here and there (like the treble cap in the tone stack) but nothing "unique".

Schematic has a mistake in it. Missing the feedback resistor between the OT and the PI.

The schematic you posted looks to be correct. I cloned one, and yes it looks strange, you have to be carefull in the layout of it to ensure it won't oscillate (thanks to the lack of the resistor), but it works. The feedback circuit is actually what makes it unique in the sound department as well. It makes the presence control work somewhat like a combined presence and depth control, but it has way more effect than any other presence control than I've seen. It also somehow makes gained up tones not have any fizz, but still be tight and in your face. Combined with the relatively bright preamp it works wonders and sounds quite different from amps that have similar preamp circuits. It matches well with higher gain preamps as well. There is not a single amp that I've tried that does both tight and defined rhythm sounds as well as lush smooth leads without changing the settings. Soundwise, it is different from a bogner xtc (which I also built a 4 channel clone of) or a friedman be (they should have copied the power amp instead of the preamp if you ask me). IMO it would be a great addition to the fractal amp collection.
FYI, I've tried to get close to it with the fractal amps. The tucana seems to come somewhat in the ballpark if you mess around with it, but still I didn't quite get it there. I will do some frequency response analyses to see if I can get it closer. For the time being, I will still fire up the superdrive clone regularly.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I was going to ask for the same thing :)

Last edited:
Looks like your typical hot-rodded Marshall. Few different values here and there (like the treble cap in the tone stack) but nothing "unique".

Schematic has a mistake in it. Missing the feedback resistor between the OT and the PI.
What amp currently in the III would get closest to this? I agree with the OP that this amp "sounds" unique. I have used the SD60 for 20 years (among hundreds of other amps in the studio) and haven't found something that is a similar substitute. I know nothing about schematics, so it's even more interesting to know that the schematic is "vanilla" yet the actual output (sonics) are not.

C.

I have to agree. I have a Naylor Super Club 38 and didn‘t find a way to come close to it with any fractal model. It Sounds and reacts really unique. @Martijndrift: I am a fan of the Tucana Model. How do you dial it in and which Cab do you use to come close to your Naylor?

I was actually going to request this as well. If it’s a hot rodded Marshall circuit, would that be something we could edit in the advanced features side of things?

Reactions: KFM

Is there a specific model in the Fractal that can get close to this? Or to rephrase... which existing model will get us the closest? If or when the time comes that you want to model a SD60, I have one you can use whenever you'd like.

Is there a specific model in the Fractal that can get close to this? Or to rephrase... which existing model will get us the closest? If or when the time comes that you want to model a SD60, I have one you can use whenever you'd like.
I have a Super Club 38 and I managed to come close with a rather tweaked Dirty Shirley Model. But I would also so much like a model of the SD60 or SC38.

Having owned one of these they are not "typical" Marshall clones. Very warm sounding. Very much like the Egnater TOL amps. The mids are like butter.

I own a SD60 and it's it own amp... Nothing else does what it does, all the mystic and wow you read about is true. Closest thing I could get to it on the Fractal was a toss up between the Smallbox and an ODS.

Reactions: KFM
Back
Top Bottom