nasty naisily Recording tone.

ok, I fail to see how this would add so much nasally tone to my sound, but I will remove some blocks and see how this effects the sound. Does this also mean that my live sound can be improved by removing some blocks? Even though I only have on what I use, but if it improves the sound I guess I will have to do without some of them.

Tried your preset. To be frank: it sounds horrible. Dull and hollow. With and without the cab.
You have Presence all the way down and Bright (the knob, not the switch) turned down as well.
And the Shiva is already a dark amp to start with.
There's not a lot that a Cab can do with that input signal without high freq content.

Wondering what the power amp and cabinet are that you're using.
Because it seems like you have tuned the amp model setting totally to that sound.

ok, I fail to see how this would add so much nasally tone to my sound, but I will remove some blocks and see how this effects the sound. Does this also mean that my live sound can be improved by removing some blocks? Even though I only have on what I use, but if it improves the sound I guess I will have to do without some of them.

What fx are in the chain can you give a list or screen shot ,not near axe to check preset .but yes you want to be in the 70 - 85% after 90 you risk tone degradation

Tried your preset. To be frank: it sounds horrible. Dull and hollow. With and without the cab.
You have Presence all the way down and Bright (the knob, not the switch) turned down as well.
And the Shiva is already a dark amp to start with.
There's not a lot that a Cab can do with that input signal without high freq content.

Wondering what the power amp and cabinet are that you're using.
Because it seems like you have tuned the amp model setting totally to that sound.

I use it with a Strat loaded with EMG's (usually on neck pickup for rhythm, and bridge for lead along with a built in mid boost)
I use a Matrix gt800 amp and two 1x12 eminance Tonkerlight cabs, it is far from 'dark' I like a fat full sound with a powerful lead sound but there is plenty of byte to it.
I have just tried getting rid of all my effects blocks and got it down to 40% but could hear no difference in the sound. Changing the cabs alters the bottom and top end of the sound from flubby to razor sharp but that nasal midrange is always there and most dominant.

Can you say the same with other presets? i mean In general every single preset in axe sounds the same nasal ?

Can you say the same with other presets? i mean In general every single preset in axe sounds the same nasal ?

Yes, I do find that most of the presets the distortion (which is nearly all the presets) are very thin and aggressive, nothing mellow, and they do have a naisly tone to them. IV being messing around with some other amps and can along with the cab block get some decent results but that nasal tone is always there. I have read on this forum that some other users also experience this.

Andy, to be frank, I think it might be best to cut your loses and just stick with previous amplification methods that work better for you.

Sounds like you've given the Axe more than a fair try, and it appears to have brought you nothing but ongoing difficulty. You've had post after post on this forum with technical limitations of the unit, complaints about the sound quality, statements of how everything sounds the same, and an apparent lack of fundamental knowledge of how a digital modeling device works.

The Axe is a great unit, but its not one size fits all. You seem to be an established player, and know how to get tones you enjoy out of previous gear you've been using. I think there gets to be a point where new gear simply might prove to be more trouble than its worth.

How much time and effort do you want to put into trying to learn something new, which still might not prove to your liking, verses falling back to using a rig that you and your engineer are happy with and actually spend that time laying down some tracks ?

I know the Axe was a considerable investment, but if your still not getting good tones, after all the various help you've gotten from forum members in different post, maybe its time to try something totally different ?

Andy, to be frank, I think it might be best to cut your loses and just stick with previous amplification methods that work better for you.

Sounds like you've given the Axe more than a fair try, and it appears to have brought you nothing but ongoing difficulty. You've had post after post on this forum with technical limitations of the unit, complaints about the sound quality, statements of how everything sounds the same, and an apparent lack of fundamental knowledge of how a digital modeling device works.

The Axe is a great unit, but its not one size fits all. You seem to be an established player, and know how to get tones you enjoy out of previous gear you've been using. I think there gets to be a point where new gear simply might prove to be more trouble than its worth.

How much time and effort do you want to put into trying to learn something new, which still might not prove to your liking, verses falling back to using a rig that you and your engineer are happy with and actually spend that time laying down some tracks ?

I know the Axe was a considerable investment, but if your still not getting good tones, after all the various help you've gotten from forum members in different post, maybe its time to try something totally different ?

If you care to re-read my post, I say that my live sound is probably the best I have ever had. It's the studio recording I'm having issues with. I'm really not able to set up my cabs at home to record, which is why I'm trying to use the cab blocks.

I have read on this forum that some other users also experience this.

Source?

This is not a common problem, it's certainly not an Axe-Fx error or bug, and Cab blocks (IRs) certainly do not sound nasally by nature.
Really, you should look for the solution in your setup.

Source?

This is not a common problem, it's certainly not an Axe-Fx error or bug, and Cab blocks (IRs) certainly do not sound nasally by nature.
Really, you should look for the solution in your setup.

I am, it's just that I'm running out of ideas, (and I seem to be pissing a few guys off along the way), I'm now trying an Amp block with a cab block straight into my desk (02r 96) with eq off monitoring via Adam Ax77's.

I am, it's just that I'm running out of ideas, (and I seem to be pissing a few guys off along the way), I'm now trying an Amp block with a cab block straight into my desk (02r 96) with eq off monitoring via Adam Ax77's.

Good idea.

Ok my bet is on guitar... try it with other guitars change battery in guitar check your cables because you can honestly dial nasal tone out and I wouldnt sell axe. Have you tried global reset etc?

Reactions: J.C
If you care to re-read my post, I say that my live sound is probably the best I have ever had. It's the studio recording I'm having issues with. I'm really not able to set up my cabs at home to record, which is why I'm trying to use the cab blocks.

That is just it, I've been reading quite a few of your post and you keep coming off sounding unhappy and frustrated. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but simply that if you have a rig that works for you, perhaps stick with it instead. Sometimes the best advice can be the opposite of what we want to hear.

"Nearly all the presets are geared towards metal/thrash (are Fractal aware that not all customers are metal/thrash guitarists, or am I the only one that isn't?)"

"It is with cab block bypassed that I noticed virtually all of the presets sound the same - tinny shrill with over the top saturated distortion, thin and flubby."

"I am finding it quite difficult to find anything else other than this sound. Why are so many presets aimed at the metal/shred market? Only a few clean sounds (fewer without any distortion). It seems very easy to get an over the top distortion sound, but very difficult (if not virtually impossible) to get a tasty overdrive sound similar to Drew Zing or Carlton or Ford etc.... I have a Xotic AC pedal which I love, but despite many attempts with the Axe drive block (AC) it just can't recreat the feel of the pedal. I know it is also partly me loosing a bit of patience with this but I'm really starting to get frustrated with it, and on top of which, it's getting to be unreliable using it live."

Doesn't sound like a happy owner to me....

I still try not to quit on him... I used to be really upset with Ultra and early II Firmwares but now its really user friendly to to tweak a good tone. He needs breaking point and someone who can see this unit live and tell him why it sounds the way it does.

I'm in the north east - Middlesbrough to be presise, I'm not quitting with is, as I said my live sound is great, lots and lots of trial and error but it's now great (please note Iqdsnddist), I'm now on stage two the recording part...... Yes Iqdsnddist I'm a moaning old twat but im persistent.

Back
Top Bottom