nasally Tone when using overdrive....ALL cabs.

andyp13

Power User
Been using FRFR for the last few weeks but Going back to real cabs because of the nasally tone.
My clean sounds are great but as soon as I kick in with an overdrive (tried most of them) I get an awful nasally tone that I can not dial out - tried filters, EQ blocks etc but it's there and sounds dreadful... I do not get this from a real cab. I assumed it was my Q12 FRFR - but I get the nasally tone through the PA and also tried a RCF TT08-a and all with the same results. Every cab block is the same, I bought Cab pack 10 and they are also the same.... I just don't know what is causing it as like I say the clean sounds is fine (maybe a very slight naislness but nothing too bad - kick in Overdrive and it's awful seriously awful.
I didn't really want to go with the hassle of using a real cab and micing it up but what else can I do?

what's the common denominator here?? how you're dialing in either the amp or the od, not the IR's.

i just don't feel like the product if for you, you've had nothing but problems with it for as long as you've been using it. I'd stop pulling my hair out and use an amp.

what's the common denominator here?? how you're dialing in either the amp or the od, not the IR's.

i just don't feel like the product if for you, you've had nothing but problems with it for as long as you've been using it. I'd stop pulling my hair out and use an amp.

It's starting to look that way, though with a real cab i get a good sound - but as soon as cab sims come in to it, the sound just turns to s&+t.... With FRFR cabs and FOH....

are you hearing your cab exactly the same way you hear ir's? are you putting your ear on the cab exactly where the mic position for you ir is?

post a preset

I'm the opposite, I wish I could make the axe sound as good thru the Matrix and Mesa 4x12 as I do thru my studio monitors.

thats a tough one, i dont get nasal tone at all... all cab blocks sound the same? not here.. something sounds like it's set wrong.

thats a tough one, i dont get nasal tone at all... all cab blocks sound the same? not here.. something sounds like it's set wrong.
i think he's saying it's nasally no matter the cab, not that they all sound the same. still something wrong either way.

That doesn't sound right at all. (pardon the pun).

Given people like Metallica go FRFR I'm sure it's a problem in your settings/setup somewhere.

is it possible you've got cabinet modeling inactive in your global settings???

No everything is as it should be...the difference in the cabs is there some sound too bassy, some quite raspy etc but all have a honky nasal tone which dominates.... Going to look at some of my other effect blocks also to see if the problem is elsewhere... I did a recording using my telecaster and got a great sound in the studio (not using the FRFR cabs) I will call that one back up (I saved it on my Mac) and see how it sounds in the Q12.

Isn't nasal = 1khz area? Is this like cocked-wah syndrome?
Even if you're using different IRs, are you cutting frequencies in the cab-block when using FRFR? And where do you cut?

Otherwise you will get the whole frequency spectrum (FR is for full-range....), and that could be the culprit.

Essentially we can think of the situation like this, the FRFR system and/or PA, using a wide range of IR's is revealing an issue with how the patches are dialed in.

The real cab sounds better, but in effect, it's able to cover up what sounds like a tonal issue, and is sort of a band-aid on an overall issue.

Pa and FRFR are the more accurate representation of the tone, the cab is coloring things, just in a pleasing way that can cover up the nasal tone

Cabs will always color the tone to some degree but what you really want is to have a pretty good and pleasing amp tone, which will sound good through a pa or FRFR monitor with an IR, and also sound pretty similar with a matching real cab. Again it won't sound exact, but a good dialed in amp tone should translate relatively well across the board.

Let people hear your patches and we can get to the bottom of the issue. If everyone listens on their own systems and says it sounds great, then it's a monitor issue. If everyone listens and says it sounds nasal, then you know your monitors are fine and it's just a case of garbage in, garbage out do to speak and your patches need tweaking.

In all honesty though, I think you might be over obsessing about your tone. Your audience likely doesn't care, you play well, and people seem to enjoy the show. You maybe should just focus on your playing and the show and worry less about the tone. Grip it and rip it as they say in golf, meaning don't worry about a million little details, just step up and hit the ball. Often it goes further and straighter when you don't try to over correct....

At the same time, as was suggested, the axe might not be for you, your have never ending issues trying to get it sounding like an amp on stage. Maybe you would be happier with the sound of a real amp on stage. Sell the axe, get a DRRI, tweak to taste and call it a day. Accept that it's your tone, for better or worse, and spend all that previous tweaking time for other things, learning new songs etc

Essentially we can think of the situation like this, the FRFR system and/or PA, using a wide range of IR's is revealing an issue with how the patches are dialed in.

At the same time, as was suggested, the axe might not be for you, your have never ending issues trying to get it sounding like an amp on stage. Maybe you would be happier with the sound of a real amp on stage. Sell the axe, get a DRRI, tweak to taste and call it a day. Accept that it's your tone, for better or worse, and spend all that previous tweaking time for other things, learning new songs etc

I must admit I am seriously thinking about getting my boogie back out - I used to always get compliments on my tone and that stopped when I went over to the Axe FX. (I am selling my pair of RCF TT08-a's).
The thing is I played my Boogie MK 1 and compaired it with the Axe and the 'clean' sound was much better on the Axe (real cab and FRFR) - the overdrive sound (using my real Xotic AC) was better on the Boogie - but damn close using the real cab on the Axe - But the FRFR sound sucks.

Im in a little too deep with the Axe as I use the MFC-101 to control my Vocal harmonies and vocal effects etc.... and I love the lack of cabling - just one if great........ I will post a setting with a 'stock cab' soon.

Put the Boogie in another room, mike it and listen to the miked signal through your Matrix. Does that sound honky?
If not, shoot an IR of the Boogie's speaker with the exact same mike position and try that IR in your AXE.

Reactions: BBN
Put the Boogie in another room, mike it and listen to the miked signal through your Matrix. Does that sound honky?
If not, shoot an IR of the Boogie's speaker with the exact same mike position and try that IR in your AXE.
i don't think it will matter because i have a feeling there's some serious "corrective" eq/settings somewhere that's messing everything up. a;; speculation until he shares his preset and/or a clip

hear are two presets the Q12 is obviously the `frfr sett
up
`the APB `right for FRFR is so I can use the right out to FOH and the Left out to a Real Cab

Thanks guys

Attachments

• Q12.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
  • A P B -Right for FRFR.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom