Named Timeout MFC Firmware Update

Parsley

I recently updated the firmware on my Axe FXII to 17.02, and also my Axe edit software. I realized my MFC had not been updated with the release in Nov. so I tried to update using my AXe FX as my interface. I'm getting a Named Timeout error message. I've gone over everything but nothing working… I cannot scroll through the presets. I'm stuck in Reveal mode it seems,,, I keep changing scenes when I want to change presets. HELP!

Search 'Name Timeout' on this board and you'll find quite a few threads. It usually comes down to that you do not have the MFC set up correctly to talk to the Axe II.

Not sure what more I can do to get them to talk to each other! Following instructions as they are written. Going into I/O and changing EDIT settings to use Axe FX II as interface... Tried using the AC adaptor on the MFC while using 5 pin midi cable, then used 5 pin midi cable along with my Ethernet cable to power the MFC... My next step will be to buy another 5 pin midi cable... although it appears to be transferring the FW. I get "FW Complete" at the end but when I power cycle I get the Name timeout error... very frustrating! The MFC was working fine before the update... makes me wish I just left it alone!

I'm having the exact same issue. I've been through every thread here, every manual for both the MFC III and Axe Fx II XL to no avail. Would love to hear from someone from Fractal on this, seems to be a pretty common issue judging by all the unresolved threads here.

This might sound like a dumb question, but here it goes.... Do you have the correct setting USE PORT[MIDI- EXPANSION-FASLINK] set on the MFC to connect with the AXE?....

If all else fails you might need to perform a Factory Default. I had a problem a couple of years ago. I had to use the Factory Default, everything was fine after that.

Last edited:
Name Timeout, 99% of the time is an error in settings.

There are settings in the SETUP section (select which Axe FX you are connecting to - ULTRA, II, XL) and in the MIDI section (FASLINK, ETHERNET (CALLED EXPANSION), MIDI.)
If these two settings are not correct, the Axe FX and the MFC cannot communicate.

In rare cases, the ethernet cable does not sit firmly in the socket and that would cause Name Timeout. Mostly, settings are the culprit.

I'm having the exact same issue. I've been through every thread here, every manual for both the MFC III and Axe Fx II XL to no avail. Would love to hear from someone from Fractal on this, seems to be a pretty common issue judging by all the unresolved threads here.

I resolved my issue by unplugging my 5 pin midi cable before I re-started the MFC after the update. Not sure if just a coincidence, but it worked... Also I forgot to do as the release notes state: to re-set my bank size to 5 bank... this fixed my issue of being stuck in Reveal mode...

I resolved my issue by unplugging my 5 pin midi cable before I re-started the MFC after the update. Not sure if just a coincidence, but it worked... Also I forgot to do as the release notes state: to re-set my bank size to 5 bank... this fixed my issue of being stuck in Reveal mode...

Don't forget to turn the SYSEX send to ALL and USB Mode to OFF again in the MIDI setup page on the AFX. Otherwise you will end up with "Waiting For Tuner" and Tap Tempo not showing up on the MFC.

Ethercon style all the way, rock on. :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom