My X32 died!

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
I was noodling on the AXE FX the other night, and everything just stopped - One look at the X32 told me why - Not one led!... So... Turn on - Turn off... nothing.... Uh oh...

Check the power - all good, check the cables - all good... uh oh....

Label and unplug everything in the studio... drag the desk out... fiften squillion phillips heads later I'm inside the desk & 'wondering what this wire does...'....Uh-oh

Follow the power from the cord, thrugh the connector... through the filter... to the power supply...DANG... it appears the power supply is shot... Uh-oh...

Remove the power supply... (Hate that snot they use to hold the plugs together!)... Surface mount components on the bottom of the board and larger components (Non-surface mount) on the top... I 'aint fixing this one... Anyway - it's screwed... what can I hurt... so I go over 50 or so 'potential' dry joints and reconnect... still nothing...

I've ordered a new power supply board... I'll let you know if that solves the problem... Uh oh!!

Life is no fun without music I am noticing.

Thanks
Pauly

Probably not a cheap option in Oz for the power supply.

I know a few bands/engineers who use the X32 and one or two have mentioned concerns about the power supplies but I'm not sure if this is just being driven by reading too many internet forum posts or whether it is something with more substance - i.e. actual/inherent problems.

Just had my X32 rack repaired last week. It was only a year old. Had a few dim dancing LED's and flickering screen and it kept rebooting. Then, it just stopped turning on.I bought an X32 Core to keep me going in between and will keep that as a backup. Most of my stuff is hard word into an SD16 breakout box so a simple swap of a couple of cables.

This is disturbing , to say the least. I use this board for shows , and another for messing around in the studio.
Sorry for your loss.

All these stories do not exactly raise my opinion and expectations of Behringer gear. Quite the opposite in fact.

Been using X32 full at church , Producer and Rack in the band for close to 2 yrs.. no issues at all.

Yep - After some teething issues I had mine replaced, and it's died after 3 years - It's never been moved and has been plugged into the same (filtered) power point in all that time.
If I was using this in a live setting (or busy paying environment) I think I'd have purchased a spare board as well as the replacement.
Thanks
Pauly

Hi,

I know what you mean, but in reality I purchased something that was less than half the price of it's nearest competitor, as soon as it was released. It had some issues, and behringer really looked after me, trying to fix it twice, before giving me a new desk. Now, three years later, the power supply goes... Cost me $210 to get one shipped to me in two days. Unless I'm wrong (about it being the PSU), or if I stuff something up replacing it (always possible) - It'll be fixed tonight.
So - Overall I'm not too concerned. It would be better if the power supply was a plug in part, rather than a circuit board in the middle of the unit with nine hundred cables glued to it - But that would make it more expensive.

I'm just using it for fun - I think that most professionals that are using a few of these desks on the road have a complete spare. I would.

Thanks
Pauly

All these stories do not exactly raise my opinion and expectations of Behringer gear. Quite the opposite in fact.

Considering how many guy on this board use an X32 let alone how many that aren't FAS members it doesn't seem to be that big of an issue.

Yep - After some teething issues I had mine replaced, and it's died after 3 years - It's never been moved and has been plugged into the same (filtered) power point in all that time.
If I was using this in a live setting (or busy paying environment) I think I'd have purchased a spare board as well as the replacement.
Thanks
Pauly

Wouldn't it have been better to have gone upmarket and buy something from a brand that is more known for its reliability so you don't have to worry about it breaking down? It's Behringer after all. Color me puzzled but what makes these X32's so special?

Nope - the only thing I would really like that it doesn't have, is 96/24 and the capability to record effects and channel eq etc directly. If I had an extra fifteen grand (that I didn't want) I guess I could have got something better but in the 'bang for bucks' contest, the x32 wins hands down.

Thanks
Pauly

Wouldn't it have been better to have gone upmarket and buy something from a brand that is more known for its reliability so you don't have to worry about it breaking down? It's Behringer after all. Color me puzzled but what makes these X32's so special?

midas preamps, motorized faders, iPhone control, all now standard things from other manufacturers, besides preamps. Behringer bought midas and they helped build a great product. Any product can fail, the x32 is widely regarded as a great product line / platform. I've had the rack x32 for about 2 years now, no issues, flawless every night.

Sorry to open a very old thread, i bought a X32 a month ago. Been working find until last weekend when it popped and wouldn't come back on, replacement sent out and now the new one's XLR inputs and outputs don't work, so sending that one back again too! I think a full refund and a look around at other options is now on the cards :disappointed:

Just yesterday bought an M32C as a backup for my 5 year old X32 Rack that has never given me a problem, not once. Was having a bit of buyers' remorse this morning until I saw this thread... so, sorry for your troubles but thanks for making me feel better about my decision...

What makes X32 special? It’s certainly feature rich but, if you gig, the X32 or it’s Midas counterpart are the most used boards by clubs, bars and contract sound. Put your show on USB and most of your band’s setup is done in a minute. When you consider automation, scenes, etc., the performance level of a simple bar band show can easily be brought to a whole new level.

Back
Top Bottom