My wife rates the FX 3

bikertrash

Inspired
I was "practicing" the other night and playing the Dream Theater chestnut "Pull me Under." No, I can't play it worth a flip by the way but I can do the chunky intro ok. When I was done, she said, "you know, in the 25 years we've been married, I think that was the closest to the studio sound of JP's guitar you've ever had." What's even more praiseworthy of the FAS team is the fact that I was just using preset 13 (USA Mk IV) with very few tweeks on my end. I was running a SD PS700 into a defunct Trem-O-Verb combo with V-30's and it was pretty glorious.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones whose wife enjoys hearing their husband play. If I'm playing when she's ready to go to bed, she tells me to keep playing. I go up an hour later and she's asleep, doesn't matter what I've been playing.
My situation is similar sort of ... when my wife is angry I play acoustic guitar in the same room and she calms down. So I guess it's kind of a "music calming the savage beast" thing.

Just kidding my wife is an angel. It's my mother in law that's the savage beast. And I wish guitar worked on her.

I was "practicing" the other night and playing the Dream Theater chestnut "Pull me Under." No, I can't play it worth a flip by the way but I can do the chunky intro ok. When I was done, she said, "you know, in the 25 years we've been married, I think that was the closest to the studio sound of JP's guitar you've ever had." What's even more praiseworthy of the FAS team is the fact that I was just using preset 13 (USA Mk IV) with very few tweeks on my end. I was running a SD PS700 into a defunct Trem-O-Verb combo with V-30's and it was pretty glorious.
Wow!!! This blows my mind! If wife ever said that to me I’d immediately want to renew my vows. I hope you realize how lucky you are? Man I’m jealous!

Your wife knows who petrucci is? You’re way ahead of the game.

He was 50’ away from us at TSA in LAX and I said to her “oh shit look it’s john petrucci”. She argued with me it wasn’t him. Sure enough he was on our flight back East.
My wife has been to 2 DT shows, Porcupine Tree (& SW) shows, Spock's Beard & Neal Morse, Polyphia & CHON, King's X, Yes and Jean Luc Ponty shows with me. She did draw the line at King Crimson.

And she doesn't even like Prog at all but I guess she loves me (go figure). I already said she was an angel. But my daughter plays flute and is my family Prog fan. She went with me to see King Crimson twice.

If I had to guess she will marry a drummer. ;)

Last edited:
Your wife knows who petrucci is? You’re way ahead of the game.

He was 50’ away from us at TSA in LAX and I said to her “oh shit look it’s john petrucci”. She argued with me it wasn’t him. Sure enough he was on our flight back East.
Yep, she is very sharp when it comes to music and the individual instruments. She's always had a great ear and wanted to work in a studio when she was younger. The Falling into Infinity tour was our first concert we ever went to together (I think she likes Myung just a touch more 🙂).
So this comes full circle. She may not understand the Axe 100% but she knows I can turn it on and it will always sound the same. She also helped me logic to keep the Power Stage 700 over a Synergy 50/50. She agreed if I am going solid state, go all the way.

My wife was the one that told me to sell my FM3 and go with III Turbo..."if this makes you happy just go for the macdaddy and be done with it..." She just recently told me, "you've got 17 hanging on the wall, either sell one to make it 16 or buy one to make it 18...it's throwing off the balance!" "Hello Sweetwater, yeah it's me again..."

After 40 years of bands in the basement, I would come up stairs after rehearsal and say "what did you think of the new tune?" She would say, "I honestly didn't hear it."

Back
Top Bottom