My verdict on 6.01...

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
No drastic changes here. sounds good! I like the more 'open' and 'natural' amp sound I'm hearing - just a wee bit less compressed. No 'fizz' on my system either. Still a little harshness at times in the 2-4K area, but I'm sure I'll figger it out. Probably need a global EQ.

Congrats on an amazing achievement: I loved my Ultra, but never seemed to want to play it as much as I do the II. I *thought* the ultra was 'just like an amp' - in fact, back in 2007, I used, maybe even coined, the term 'virtual tubes' on this forum in my old logon -but something must have been missing, something subtle. Whatever it was, my new rig has solved it. I can't give the II all the credit because I simultaneously moved to a Matrix amp and a fEARFULL enclosure. But the Axe plugged into my old setup (Mackie 450's) still feels much more like a 'real' amp than the Ultra.

I didn't think that the Ultra could be materially improved upon. I was wrong.

I could not be happier, though I have lots of questions, as I get deeper into programmer (like why are there 4 levels on the Effects loop?)

THANKS FAS. The II is truly amazing.

P.S. Anyone wanna buy an ultra? :mrgreen

My experience too, except I've sold my Ultra 8)

I get the harshness too, but that's only when listening directly in front of guitar speakers (EVM12Ls) - so even that's just like the real thing, except it can be dialled out.

My experience too, except I've sold my Ultra 8)

I get the harshness too, but that's only when listening directly in front of guitar speakers (EVM12Ls) - so even that's just like the real thing, except it can be dialled out.
Ya know, I gotta sit right in front of my Twin. I don't think it's quite that harsh, but it also seems less 'alive' - I prefer the II to my Twin now, actually, but I've only A/B''d them from across the room. Will have to try NF monitoring of them both to see if all that high end is really there too. I use EVM 12L's too in the twin.

You're monitoring the Axe-Fx with Cab simulation on, using close-mic'd IRs? Seeing that you use a FR cab, this will emphasize frequencies you're not hearing through your Twin's EVMs. This may account for the harshness you're hearing.
Try adding a HiCut in the Cab block (won't work if it's really in the 2-4k area), or try a different mic sim.

You're monitoring the Axe-Fx with Cab simulation on, using close-mic'd IRs? Seeing that you use a FR cab, this will emphasize frequencies you're not hearing through your Twin's EVMs. This may account for the harshness you're hearing.
Try adding a HiCut in the Cab block (won't work if it's really in the 2-4k area), or try a different mic sim.
I can't speak for funny_polmath but what I'm saying is it's just one of the compromises when using real guitar speakers and not an issue at all with the AxeFX because it's so easy to manage. I'm not using cab sims with my stage EVM cab, only for FOH send.

Reactions: yek
There's definitely a little less fizz on the top end. It's something I was wrestling with during recording for the whole week before the firmware came out. My same patches just sound a less harsh now. I love the subtle difference.

There's definitely a little less fizz on the top end. It's something I was wrestling with during recording for the whole week before the firmware came out. My same patches just sound a less harsh now. I love the subtle difference.

Yes. . . I find the Axe a little more pleasant to listen to now, without a change in the overall patch EQ.

Terry.

I totally agree. This new firmware is a blast to play. I was up playing for about 12 hours this weekend. Even when I wanted to "work" on creating more presets of different amps, I was hard-pressed to leave a given preset, didn't seem to matter which one, to just walk up and turn the dial. They all sounded and felt great.

BTW I was using the Brit 2x12. That's a nice cab for a lot of stuff for me.

Loaded 6.01 and I'm a happy camper again. I just wasn't bonding with 6.0 and couldn't seem to dial out the harshness. Still too spooked to go back to global blocks though. I got burned before with them in previous FW.

It's the ole' catch-22 - when I get rid of the harshness, I also get rid of some supernaturally cool 'aliveness'. I'm sure I'll work it out. yes, I think it's in the upper midrange, not really up in the air section. And yes, I am using cab sims, close-mic'd. Thanks for the advice.

I have only set one preset in 6.01, a SLO lead amp .... but I must say, it is closer to my original SLO than the previous versions. Much meatier is the only way I can discribe it, and the presence knobs acts much more like the real deal now. So far so good ...

My only problem is I can't stop tweaking. Compressor? Yes. No. yesnoyesyesno... and so on. I am loving what I've got, but I keep finding a) little things that aren't perfect and b) new things that sound amazing. Giving up on trying to 'xerox' my Ultra sound was the best decision I ever made - my lead sounds on the II blow away the Ultra. Actually, they all do. I actually copied my X fender amp settings to Y, changed it to a dumble, and got this freaky-ass, feedback-laden monster that it the MTF'ing coolest thing to play.

Yek's layout of his grid also helped me conceptually a lot -both of my bands are improvisatory, and having all those FX lined up and read to switch in/out is a blast. But I still argue with placement. I wonder: why did yek place that effect before cab, or before reverb, and that after, and so I mess with the order insanely. One of the things I always wanted was an interactive way to alter the order - in other words, a 'mode' where as you step on effects, they just get added to the end of the chain, so by turning things on and off and on, you can interactiveliy alter their order. An improvisor's wet dream. In fact, I'm gonna post it on Wish List...

Back
Top Bottom